Pullman Lijiang Resort and Spa
What We Love
- Glorious views of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, a holy place for the indigenous Naxi people
- Impressive villas incorporate Naxi-style architecture
- Free horse carriage shuttle to Shuhe Old Town
What To Know
- The expansive hotel compound features a lake but no swimming pool
- UNESCO-listed Lijiang Old Town is a cab ride away
- Some villas feature an outdoor hot tub; all have underfloor heating
- Free WiFi
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Set in tranquil gardens, this low-rise resort cleverly incorporates a central lake, a pagoda and canals – and a showstopper view of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. The rooms and villas all feature private courtyards and reflection pools, and this luxe sanctuary cleverly mixes Naxi architecture with contemporary Chinese elements.
Bed and Bath
Gargantuan slate wall tiles, designer tubs and generous windows (which allow the light to flood in while still granting privacy) make the villa bathrooms a place you’ll want to linger. The bedrooms also feature large windows behind the bed (along with decorative lattice screens and a shade to allow lazy lie-ins).
Traditional Naxi and regional dishes are served at Zun Chinese restaurant, or you can tuck into international fare at the Xi Western restaurant. Pair your meal with a glass of wine from the lengthy list. Treatments at the starkly beautiful Mandara Spa take on local flavor, with options such as a Yunnan coffee body contour and Lijiang tea body scrub.
In the Area
Lijiang has been dubbed the Venice of the East. Wander among its pretty, flower-lined canals by day and, if you dare, wobble across the timber footbridges into the heaving bars at night (where minimum drink purchases and zany, good-natured drinking games apply). Borrow a bicycle from the hotel to pedal to nearby Baisha Old Town. Tours can take you to Jade Dragon Snow Mountain (10 miles away) or to Tiger Leaping Gorge (50 miles), where, if you don’t feel like taking on the steep steps, you can hire a sedan chair and be carried aloft like an adventurer from yesteryear.
How to Get There
I can see why the Pullman is Lijiang's top rated hotel. I'm only giving three stars, but truth is I would stay there again in a heartbeat.
Grounds are unbelievable. Morning views of snow mountain stunning. For those views alone, the stuff of lifelong memories, you should consider staying there. Restaurant good and affordable.
Having said all that, there were issues:
- No drink/tea at check-in. They just seemed to forget.
- They showed us to our room while it was still being made up. Made really bad impression.
- Perhaps because she was rushing, housekeeper did not leave any soap or shampoo.
- No hooks or rods to hang towels (except on shower/toilet door).
- One front desk person said we could not take the bikes off the property. The next one said it was fine to do so. Honestly, why have mountain bikes if you can't even ride them over to Shuhe?
- Front desk told us we would have to pay 30 RMB to enter Shuhe, but didn't mention it was only if entering in a tourist bus or carriage. If you walk over, there is no charge at any hour.
- At check-in, front desk did not tell us about free shuttle service to places like Black Pools. We found out later in our stay.
- The villas have beautiful hot tubs. However, those staying in the more affordable hotel rooms do not have access to a hot tub, pool or sauna - on a property that size, while staying in a $150 room? It would have really helped to have a place to unwind after a day or hiking or biking.
- Both the rooms and grounds were, in certain places, not well enough lit. Shaving was an interesting ordeal - I literally had to feel where the stubble was. Also, I almost tripped over an unlit step - and my eyesight is quite good.
In spite of the shortcomings, I would be delighted to return to this hotel. Still worth it! I only list my peeves in the hope Management will address them for future guests. We really had a great time. Of the employees, Tina is especially tops.
After the change of my schedule, I had no reservation to return Lijiang and stay at this excellent hotel again. I am happy to meet those warmest staff and feel like to reunion with my best friends. Michael, Tina, Lisa, Selina, Emily, Regina, Van, Bella, Cecilia ( the front desk staff), Dylan and Jack. All of you lighted up my days in Lijiang and thanks for your greatest hospitalities. Please accept my deepest thanks.Certainly I will stay at your hotel again and again, also recommend to my friends as well. Michael & your team - WELL DONE!
Conveniently located, it is walking distance to Shuhe Old Town. Not too big, so even if busy, you don't see too many guests and feel relaxed. Good breakfast and also nice dining selection for dinner. Staff are friendly and always ready to help.
Will be back.
This resort is really fantastic!! Location is great, perfect for a 1-week vacation!! Food is also amazing! We stayed in a 2-bedroom villa. That is spacious and well designed. Highly recommend for a family trip!
On my first visit to the Yunnan province, I visited the picturesque town of Lijiang. I chose to stay at the Pullman Lijiang Resort and Spa. We were a family of three. The resort enjoys a great location with views over the Jade Snow Mountain. Every morning our breakfast walk to Xi restaurant required a quick picture session to capture the snow mountain images at the courtyard area. The water feature at the restaurant area gives a wonderful feeling of relaxation.
Large choices are available during breakfast at the restaurant. International options as well as local/chinese dishes to choose from. Resort is a short walking distance to the Old Town area of Lijiang. The roads are well kept and safe for a nice walk.
Our rooms were very spacious and the service of the staff were highly commendable. Most areas of the resort has English speaking team members that saved the worry of a language barrier in an unknown destination. Concierge and front desk team are highly attentive to guest needs and always ready to assist with city details.
I would highly recommend this resort to all couple and families alike. I look forward to returning again to Explore Lijiang.