What We Love
- Convenient location smack in the middle of downtown and on the edge of the University of Wisconsin campus
- Rooftop bar and restaurant, the Madison Blind, offers views of Lake Mendota and the capitol building and serves local-leaning snacks like cheese curds as well as heartier fare like sausage plates
- Clever uber-local style in the cheerful lobby and 72 guestrooms
- Bathrooms offer upscale Malin + Goetz products
What To Know
- Bike rentals ($5 an hour) make it easy to explore nearby neighborhoods
- Guestroom decor pops with plaid accents and academic touches like desks that could have been lifted from an upscale dorm room, as well as sketches of local personalities
- Suites are well suited to families, complete with pullout sofas
- A 14.5 percent tax will be collected by the hotel upon check-in
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
Steps from Wisconsin’s capitol building and situated on the edge of the University of Wisconsin campus, the 72-room property evokes nostalgia for the good old days of college while boasting a decidedly modern style. The clever design aesthetic will delight any type of guest, from future coeds to business travelers to the leisure set, starting with the canoes turned chandeliers, handsome trophy case and a communal oak table in the lobby. (Be sure to grab a snack from the lobby’s coffee and juice bar, Portage Pi.) The guestroom decor pops with plaid accents and academic touches like desks that could have been lifted from an upscale dorm room, as well as sketches of local personalities, while the bathrooms offer upscale Malin + Goetz products. The spacious rooftop bar and restaurant, the Madison Blind, is a lovely light-filled space to settle in for local-leaning snacks like cheese curds or heartier fare like a sausage plate while taking in the view of Lake Mendota and the capitol building.
In the Area
Savor the flavor of this lively college town by strolling (or rolling, on one of the hotel’s rental bike) through downtown and the University of Wisconsin campus, both of which are just blocks away. Gastropubs are a favorite gathering spot for students, locals and visitors; check out the original location of the Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company, the first brewery to open in Madison. Just a block away, another perennial favorite is the Old Fashioned, which serves Wisconsin favorites like cheese, brats and — of course — beer. A bit farther afield is the Freiburg Gastropub, which offers authentic German fare in the Monroe Street dining district.
How to Get There
I was fortunate to stumble upon this charming hotel while planning my trip to Verona, WI for EPIC training. This nearby, Madison hotel has very quaint rooms, complete with ‘Cheese Curd’ and plaid themed pillows, comfortable beds and a desk perfect for completing any assignments in the evenings. The rooms were very clean. The customer service at the hotel is OUTSTANDING!! While situated about 20-30 mins from Verona, the hotel has daily shuttles to and from the EPIC training center and the airport. The location is ideal for its proximity to the Capitol building, the lake with walking paths, the UW campus, State street and some favorite, local restaurants.
I came for a night with my family. The hotel was great! Friendly staff and very clean rooms. The location is nice and there are lots of food places in walking distance. I would definitely return for another stay.
I was traveling for work, but honestly felt like I was on vacation. From the moment I stepped foot, the staff was incredibly kind and helpful with every question. As someone who has traveled extensively in corporate hotels, I was looking for a cozier, more unique experience - and the Graduate delivered on all accounts! Their coffee bar downstairs and bar upstairs are not to be missed - excellent bookends to the day.