What We Love
- The hotel’s charitable arm, which invests in local libraries and schools
- Jaw-dropping sunsets—the resort is at Jamaica’s westernmost point
- Climbing down the ladders into the cove for a quick dip
- Outdoor morning yoga classes with a sea view
What To Know
- Waterfront cottages have their own terraces and the best views
- No guests under 12 years old are permitted
- Standard rooms don’t come with outdoor showers
- Free WiFi
Rockhouse—the clue’s in the name—makes a stellar effort to integrate itself into the landscape, incorporating local building materials like stone, wood, and thatch. And the landscape itself does the rest of the work: glorious sunsets, clear waters, and volcanic rock make a true island paradise. Local ingredients also go into the luscious products used at the spa: Caribbean brown sugar, ginger, honey, mango, shea butter, and cinnamon are just a few of the things you’ll be smoothed by and pummeled with. The resort has several restaurants. While the Rockhouse is best for romantic, Caribbean-themed dinners, we love feeling virtuous during the day at the juice bar, where freshly squeezed watermelon juice and coconut water are served straight from the shell, and where you can sample Caribbean rums on offer at the bar when the sun starts to dip.
In the Area
Guests at Rockhouse tend to spend most of their time lounging in their rooms, hanging by the infinity pool, swimming or snorkeling in the ocean below, or going for massages in the spa. Staff can arrange day trips to white sand beaches like the so-called Seven Mile Beach (it’s not quite that long), which can be nice if you’re craving some sand. If you’re looking for more nightlife or a change of gastronomic scenery, there are several other hotels within walking distance, plus two recommended restaurants with sunset views over the cliffs: Ivan’s and Rick’s Café.
How to Get There
Our family of four stayed in Loft Villa #12 close to the restaurant first week of June following a 4 night stay at their sister property, Skylark. So happy we experienced both.
Our villa had no problem with noise or privacy - a plus was that we had great Wifi connection because of the proximity to restaurant.
As other reviewers have mentioned, this is a magical property. Truly unique villas, private front porch with views over the water. Loved the outdoor shower. Great service by all staff. Both property restaurants very good. We didn’t use the pool much, as the sea was directly in front of our villa, and so inviting. Our two sons had a wonderful time jumping off the bridge. We all enjoyed paddle boarding and snorkeling. Paddle boarding no cost, snorkel gear a small daily fee (bring your own if you have it).
We had gorgeous, clear, hot weather in June.
Bring plenty of sunscreen and bug spray.
This is a special, SMALL, boutique resort / hotel. the villas are medium sized (we stayed in a loft villa, #13), and the views are spectacular. it feels like you are walking around w rainforest with the lush beauty around you. the up-keep is pretty amazing. and the water spectacular. we visited 8/2019 and the weather was great (1 day of rain, other days with showers). the shower in the room is outdoors and incredible. the staff are lovely. Jhanelle at the front is very kind. And the young man behind the bar, Gary, made getting breakfast / early drinks at the bar a pleasure - he was always attentive.
tips / advice:
- do yoga at 0800 - 15 dollars isn't much - and the instructor is lovely (french woman)
- sit at the pool area, but at the chairs on the right side overlooking the water
- stay in a villa or premium villa
- take the free shuttle for a DAY trip to 7 mile beach - the sister hotel is super fun, the beach was a nice change, the treatment there is perfect (malcolm x gave amazing service!!)
- take the free shuttle there as well to skylark for dinner 1 night (you will have to pay for your return trip)
- eat at pushcart
- stop by a a grocery store before checking in for small snacks, chips, water, sparkling water
- tip the staff (the overall cost isn't much - of note though all bills will be charged 10% service fee - unclear where that goes + 10% tax)
- do NOT leave things on your patio area by your room, and especially not overnight (but overall this place felt very safe)
- use your safe to store valuables
- IF you decide to walk outside the hotel for food, water, the fruit stand - do not go solo (especially as a female)
- wifi works in common areas, but not in the rooms - download movies before leaving your home
- bring bug spray / sunscreen (its pricy there)
- use the stand up paddleboards (free x2)
- drink the juice at the rockhouse restaurant (YUM!)
- try to ackee dip - better than expected
- champagne overall wasn't good (wycliff)
- use our driver / taxi : +1 (876) 402-1979 - Oniel Campbell - we adored him - and he is available easily on whatsapp for airport pick up and drop off
We can't wait to return (for our 3+ trip!)
Very thankful for this beautiful property and its excellent staff. A week here left my family completely refreshed. We have no complaints -- only wishes to return and to enjoy it some more. The food was excellent and the vistas were unforgettable. Jumping into that crystal clear water each day was also treat that never got old. A rare jewel! Thank you RockHouse!