Vander Urbani Resort – a Member of Design Hotels
What We Love
- Rooftop pool with top city views
- Chic bedrooms with designer Italian furniture and bedding
What To Know
- Ljubljana’s best bars and cafés are just outside; ideal for party people, not light sleepers
- The hotel is in a pedestrian zone but nearby parking is available for an additional fee per day and the hotel can provide luggage assistance
- The hotel has a grown-up vibe; it's not geared toward families
- The roof top terrace is open till midnight.
- Use of the pool is available during the summer season everyday from 9 a.m. till 7 p.m.
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Hands-on owners Amanda and Aleksander Vujadinovic have carefully carved a sleek design hotel out of a historic building they long coveted. The ultra-stylish public spaces shine with quality stone, glass, mirrors, and hardwoods, while a stark binary palette creates a calm vibe in sharp contrast to the busy streets outside. Dramatic Moroso furniture from neighboring Italy ensures that the overall ambience is not too minimalist. There’s a high-end Italian design edge to the 20 idiosyncratic but uncluttered bedrooms, which are often used as backdrops for local fashion shoots. The prevailing colors are putty and brilliant white, with walls covered in padded wallpaper. Designer furniture and sumptuous Frette linens provide a luxe feel, with fresh-cut flowers a neat touch, too. Luxury toiletries and Frette robes beckon in the bathrooms. Chef Benjamin Launay is renowned for his ability to weave international flavors and modern styles into the fresh local produce he procures. Vegetables from farms just across the Ljubljanica River are married to Adriatic seafood, and one of Ljubljana’s best cellars holds a fine selection of Slovenia’s seriously underrated wines. Lunches are deep-dish affairs that use ingredients from the city’s Central Market, and breakfasts take diners on a tour of Slovenia.
In the Area
The hotel lies in Ljubljana’s center, with dozens of bars, cafés and restaurants on both sides of the willow-shrouded Ljubljanica River. Valvas’or is a hip favorite among the local cognoscenti, superbly reimagining traditional Slovene dishes. Superslick JB is a 10-minute walk away — worth it for one of the best restaurants in Central Europe. Ljubljana’s Central Market is a must; it’s loaded with culinary goodies. On Sundays it’s replaced by a colorful riverside flea market right outside the hotel.