Anantara Desert Islands Resort & Spa
What We Love
- Daily breakfast is included in the Jetsetter rate
- The island’s resident flamingos
- Snorkeling the newly formed reef system in the calm waters
- The 135-minute Sands of Time treatment at the spa, done with a sand compress
- All rooms have a view of the Arabian Sea
- Getting acquainted with the world’s largest herd of endangered Arabian oryx
What To Know
- A 10 percent service charge and a 6 percent tourism fee will be collected by the hotel at check in
- Once you reach the mainland of Sir Bani Yas jetty, you'll take a free 20-minute boat ride to the hotel; contact the hotel directly for transfer times
- Activities and dining options are confined to those at the resort
- During summer temps reach 130?, and the seawater is exceptionally hot
- The hotel is not gay-friendly and public displays of affection are frowned upon
- Alcohol is illegal outside the hotel bar area
- All activities on the island must be arranged through the resort
- The resort is the destination, so it’s not easy to come and go to/from the mainland
- Guests must purchase a compulsory gala dinner on December 31; please see the details section for further information
- Free WiFi
- Kids Club
With a stay at Anantara Desert Islands Resort & Spa in Sir Bani Yas Island (Western Abu Dhabi Emirate), you’ll be convenient to Sir Bani Yas Island Beach. This 5-star hotel is within the region of Arabian Wildlife Park and Sir Bani Yas Island Pier.
Make yourself at home in one of the 64 air-conditioned rooms featuring minibars and LCD televisions. Rooms have private balconies or patios. Satellite programming and DVD players are provided for your entertainment, while complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected. Private bathrooms with separate bathtubs and showers feature designer toiletries and hair dryers.
Pamper yourself with a visit to the spa, which offers body treatments and facials. You can soak up the sun at the private beach or enjoy other recreational amenities including an outdoor pool and a steam room. Additional features include complimentary wireless Internet access, concierge services, and babysitting/childcare (surcharge). Guests can catch a ride to nearby destinations on the complimentary area shuttle.
Grab a bite at one of the hotel’s 4 restaurants, or stay in and take advantage of 24-hour room service. Relax with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge or a poolside bar. Breakfast is available for a fee.
Featured amenities include high-speed (wired) Internet access (surcharge), a business center, and limo/town car service. Event facilities at this hotel consist of a conference center and meeting rooms.
How to Get There
This was a family stay including grandparents and we couldn't have been made more welcome! From arriving at the ferry port, the staff went out of their way to help us and make us feel welcome. The hotel is beautifully and sympathetically decorated. The rooms look a little "tired" vs the sister hotel Eastern Mangroves where we had spent a couple of nights before, but it didn't detract at all. The facilities we experienced were all excellent, including the restaurants. The Amwaj barbecue is highly recommended as is Al Shams where we went almost every night. Only slight disappointment was the Savannah Christmas day carvery.. by the time the chef had finished going through all the options and serving everyone, our meals had gone cold, but not sure how he could have got around this as we were a fairly large family. Breakfast was excellent, with good choice. The service throughout the stay was impeccable from front desk, to room maintenance to bar/restaurants - I genuinely can't fault it however some staff consistently went above and beyond expectations for example Jomom, Delilah & Asri. The safari is a must. We had Mirellie as a guide and she was outstanding. She engaged our 7 year old throughout and was very knowledgeable. If you're a wildlife watcher like myself and my family, please take the opportunity to hangout on the beach as you will be amazed. We had it pretty much to ourselves and watched ospreys fishing and dolphins swimming close by, daily. The breakwater acts as a reef so there are lots of fish and even rays if you venture beyond the breakwater but there is no supervision, so this is not recommended to novices. All in all, it's not the cheapest however I would definitely recommend this hotel and we will be visiting again in the future, without a doubt. Thanks!
Just finished a 2 night stay at Anantara desert island resort , Sir Baniyas island ,with my daughter. First and foremost the efforts of all involved in the maintenance of an eco consverative island in the middle of a desert has to be appreciated..The island does not disappoint ! Kudos to HRH Sheikh Zayed to the exemplary vision of tranforming a desert patch into a beautiful lush fertile land where so many species of life co exist, Although a controlled environment it is marvellous example of how human beings can help sustain nature , enjoy nature and wild animals , helping them flourish! The hotel( desert islands resort) is a bit dated( given the premium price we paid for accomodation alone) .The check in including the transfers from Sir Baniyas island boat jetty was smooth . Michelle was the check in assistant assigned to us and she clearly explained the activities and facilities in the resort. The room had a gorgeous sea facing balcony and the amenities were considerably ok. The toilet flush malfunctioned at times though . The pool was relatively small and the beach available for the Desert islands resort per se was just a strip. But the beach at the other property Al yamm villas was quite ok . The food at the breakfast buffet and the in room dining and the italian restaurant at al yamm villas was quite good . The 2 activites I took- the nature walk and the wild life safari ( both overpriced for a mere 90 minutes ) were made worthy by the 2 activity guides- Mr Khaled and Mr Anvi ..both passionate about wild life and well informed
Now the cons and the reason for giving only 3 stars
1) Too expensive for a property thats outdated in the exterior and old fittings- we have a lot of gorgeous new resorts to choose these days..the only reason to come here would be just to be in Sir Baniyas island
2) The wait staff in both the restaurants we visited put us off completely..both Al shams and the italian restaurant..both for lunch..They didnt have a smile on their face, they seemed to resent us coming in as they looked clearly overworked..and Mr Shaheen at al shams even mentioned that a lot of staff are on leave..strange because it was peak season when we visited ! Also when on a holiday we want to be greeted by smiling and happy staff..not overworked and unhappy lot..The management has to take care of this..we didnt want to pay money for food and then leave guilty of overworking the wait staff
5) The only free activity were the bikes which unfortunately for us turned out to be a fiasco since the bike we took out didnt function properly and when we returned to the shed there was no one around . Called the hotel, hung around for 20 minutes, spoke to michelle at the reception desk - no luck..so walked back to the hotel
Was this irresponsible service because it was a free bike?
All in all for the discerning tourist used to impeccable service and value for the money they pay , there are other great resorts..except for the beautiful baniyas island..
All in all a disappointment from the anantara stable!!!!
Booked two nights in the Anantara Suite and was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience! From the moment we arrived at the jetty, till our arrival at the resort, everything was taken care of. The staff in particular were very friendly and welcoming. The activities desk were helpful and friendly. The spa was divine! The thai massage was the best I ever had, absolutely brilliant! This was a welcomed break away from the hustle and bustle of the city! Definitely recommended! Thank you.
Great place to unwind - beach, mountains and wildlife safari! Friendly and helpful staff, great food and lots of outdoor activities for different age groups. This is our 2nd trip to the island and were not disappointed in coming back.
Overall experience of the resort from arrival to departure was excellent. There was a good variety of water sports. We enjoyed the wild life safari as well as the water sports.The staff were all helpful and courteous.