What We Love
- A five-star hotel with gorgeous sea views – includes breakfast, a cruise, a city tour and moreStaying right in the heart of Thessaloniki, Greece’s second-largest city
- Relaxing in plush guest rooms that mix classic and contemporary design styles
- Making a beeline for the chilled-out Salonica Bar for cocktails and late-night snacks
What To Know
- Guestrooms have spot-on views of the Aegean Sea
- Hang out in the outdoor pool or catch a DJ set over cocktails at one of the two restaurants
- Free WiFi
Flaunting its fabulous good looks following a recent mega makeover, this landmark eight-storey hotel has long been one of the swankiest addresses in Greece’s second city of Thessaloniki. Opened in 1972, it has all the markings of a five-star stay; think Aegean Sea-facing location, impressive level of service, classic-contemporary design style, and reliably good facilities.
Each of the soundproofed guest rooms and suites promise elegant décor with a modish kick; think jewelled colour tones, carpeted flooring, rich drapes, and lavish soft furnishings. You can also look forward to comfortable beds, marble-clad bathrooms and plenty mod-cons for a fuss-free sojourn.
Elsewhere, you’ll find a well-sized fitness centre, lovely outdoor pool, and signature buffet restaurant for Mediterranean cuisine paired with fine wines. There’s also an additional dining spot for Italian dishes, signature cocktails and DJ performances on selected nights, and a relaxed bar for post-sightseeing snacks, made-to-order cocktails and mandatory sundowners.
How to Get There
Makedonia Palace lives up till the rating of five stars. You get what you pay for, but no more than that.
Two things to think of to make it more luxery:
- The staff in the reception are very nice and helpful. But at our check in we only got a little information about our room and breakfast. No information about the pool, the gym or any of the other facilities.
- One of the days we tried to sit outside to eat our breakfast. All over the place there were pigeons. They jumped around on the tables, and the waiters did not much. They just passed. At one point a pigeon walked on a table and chopped into the cutlery. After a while a waiter came to scare the pigeon away. The waiter placed the same cutlery nicely.
We liked the place, and the areas indoor are really lovely, and the hotel is placed very great. But the two thinga above counts down.
Fabulously quiet location just a scenic walk along the sea front to the main restaurants and bars. Hotel staff are polite and friendly, check in and out quick and easy. We chose a sea view room, well worth it, rooms are lovely and clean with maid service daily. Vast selection at breakfast buffet. Lovely stay and a great hotel !
This is an excellent hotel: by the cost, walking distance to the city center, with great and silent air-conditioning, fantastic breakfasts, excellent servis. And not expensive for the hotel quality. I highly recommend it!