French Broad Outpost Ranch
What We Love
- A timber lodge at a Western-inspired dude ranch, with meals, horseback riding and moreThe ranch activities and entertainment included with your stay
- The family-style meals, with hearty dishes and home-baked breads and sweets – also included
- The cowboy-friendly décor throughout the ranch and timber lodgings, all within the fictional Old Western town of Rough Cut
What To Know
- The ranch is pretty secluded, just off of a one-lane gravel road
- This is an off-the-grid type of stay; there's no WiFi or cell service in sight
- The ranch's trail rides are great for those with minimal horseback riding experience, but might not be as exciting for more advanced riders
Ever dream of visiting a dude ranch – saddling up each morning and going for a ride? Well, giddyup, cowboy: We’ve found the Old West, and it’s in the Southeast. At French Broad Outpost Ranch, in the Smoky Mountain town of Del Rio, you’ll have days of quality time with horses, not just riding them, but also grooming, saddling and interacting with them – you can even help with feeding, if you want. Better yet, the stables are set within “Rough Cut,” a make-believe Old Western town.
So play along with the theme; tack up, and leave some time to head West in other ways. You can always chow down on a hearty meal at the Iron Horse saloon; depending on the season, you might even be able to watch a rodeo and drive cattle. While you’re at it, don’t forget to don those cowboy boots and hat, in case you get to end the week with a square dance. Your last hurrah? More like your last yee-haw.
Decorated with wild-Western themes, the rooms at French-Broad Outpost Ranch’s lodgings have a rustic charm about them. Details like wooden accents, quilted patterns, warm colors and antique furnishings will make your ranch experience that much more authentic.
The family-style dining at the property will have you going back for seconds (and thirds), from breakfast to supper. Southern hearty meals are served three times a day to keep your energy levels high for driving cattle and square-dancing. Mashed taters, sautéed veggies, homemade breads and delicious sweets are just a few sides to expect with your meaty main courses.
Del Rio, Tennessee, is all about the outdoors. Set in the Great Smoky Mountains and sitting on the edge of the French Broad River, this quiet town offers lots of adventure and the relaxing hospitality of the South. And when you’re not exploring the Smokies, the French-Broad Outpost Ranch is the place to be to stay busy; there are cattle-driving and rodeo activities, and even locals from nearby Greeneville head here for the horseback riding.