Grand Hotel Resort Ma&Ma
What We Love
- The Jetsetter rate includes continental breakfast, access to the spa and a welcome drink
- This is the island's only five-star property
- All rooms feature balconies
- The high-tech spa has a Finnish bio-sauna and a flotation pool
What To Know
- The island of La Maddalena is a 20-minute ferry ride from the Sardinian port of Palau
- WiFi is free
- Children 15 and under are not permitted in the spa
- Opened May 2013
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
On the tiny island of La Maddalena, off the north coast of Sardinia, the Grand Hotel Resort Ma&Ma is a stylish spa retreat set on seven acres of lush grounds. Just 450 feet from the sea, the resort is made up of a cluster of light coral-hued buildings cut from local stone. The 92 guestrooms are elaborately designed and feature textured wallpaper, oversize headboards, blond wood floors and silk-topped beds. All come with balconies and such upscale creature comforts as Acqua di Parma toiletries and pillow menus. The immense spa is home to a mineral-rich swimming pool, a Finnish bio-sauna, a Turkish bath and a flotation pool. Fill up on Sardinian specialties at the Antica Isola restaurant which champions the sous-vide cooking technique (said to lock in vitamins and minerals). Breakfast is served in the restaurant or on the terrace overlooking the pool.
In the Area
Located between Sardinia and Corsica, the La Maddalena archipelago sits off Sardinia’s Costa Smeralda and is made up of seven main islands and more than 50 islets. La Maddelena is the largest, and it can be reached in around 20 minutes from the port of Palau on Sardinia’s northwest coast. Swimming, sailing and strolling are the order of the day here, and the beaches are some of Italy’s best. On the north coast, the dune-backed Bassa Trinità offers tropical sea and sand, or you can sail across to the smaller island of Budelli to kick back on Spiaggia Rosa, a stunning stretch of sand colored pink by the shells of tiny marine animals. In the island’s main town, stroll the historic streets, stop for a drink at one of the many alfresco bars, and wend your way up to the fortress for sweeping views of the surrounding outcrops that dot the Mediterranean.
How to Get There
We booked a week with half board perfect place . Perfect private peaceful pool area lovely food and attentive staff
Accommodation adequate standard with good spa area
Beautiful location and great spot for exploring surrounding islands
Not a 5 star but good quality
The hotel was booked some time ago to celebrate my wife's birthday, we booked 6 nights in a family suite. We in fact stayed 3, and had to leave. No refund has been given.
The facilities are terrible, the service is abysmal.
Excuse my ranting on below, but if you are thinking of staying here, you really should read on so you know what you are going to.
We flew in from the US to Madrid for a few nights, then on to Sardinia, I had arranged with the Ma & Ma hotel to send a car to transfer us, stating clearly we had some large luggage, this was confirmed by front desk and that they would arrange accordingly. Alas, the car that came was too small, and the passenger cabin became a cargo hold. 3 people squeezed in the back seat on a windy road for 90 minutes with a ferry crossing in the middle.
Upon check-in, I was charged in full, and then made to wait some 50 minutes before the room was made ready, even though the hotel had our flight info and made the car arrangements, we arrived hours after their standard check-in time. This really was not satisfactory and could have been easily avoided with better management and planning.
When mentioning the car arrangement to Olga at reception, while waiting for the room to be cleaned, the response was that it was not her responsibility and that the car is a sub-contractor. As a paying hotel guest paying the hotel for a service, it of course is the hotel's responsibility to get this right for the customer.
The reception front desk was also blaming housekeepers had not done their job. It doesn't matter who, the ball stops with the hotel management, when asked, he was out for the day already.
Eventually we were led to the freshly cleaned room, the floor was in fact still wet, that when the bell-boy helped with our luggage he trod dirt from outside into the room's wet floor leaving large dirty shoe prints everywhere.
The room was so basic, I would not even call it motel standard let alone a so-called 5-star luxury hotel, which the hotel advertises itself to be.
More importantly the the room was not the room I had booked, but in fact a smaller, and much inferior to the room that I had selected and was pictured in Booking.com.
Again, we complained, the front desk staff were not able to resolve the problem and the apologetic hotel manager was only able to re-house us in the correct room the next day, so we spent our first night in nothing short of a youth hostel type room, paying almost one thousand Euro per night!
The room had no decoration, it was bare, barren, devoid of anything but the closet and the bed. There were only 2 pillows per king bed, no rug, no dressing mirror, curtains would not roll back, the bathroom had no hair conditioner.
Communications-wise it was stepping back to the dark ages. The hotel telephone did not work - no signal, one literally had to walk to reception. There was absolutely NO cell signal at all, zero bars, no network even on all 4 of our devices. You had to be outside of the room to regain any signal. The Wifi was from the stone age, not able to stream video content, and so sketchy that you could really only use it in the front half of the room.
There was 1 small bottle of complimentary water for 3 people! It was almost comical. My wife did not feel comfortable or even safe, with the car park right in front of the glass patio door that first night, staying up most of the night feeling anxious.
The next 2nd day, we moved to actually the correct room I had booked, a better space overall, some furnishings, and decorations, but still a long long way from a 5-star luxury hotel. The following is what I can note:
- Only 1 key issued, for the last few years we have traveled as a family of 3, we have always been issued with 3 keys, no matter what door locking system is used by the hotel. I would expect 2 keys at the very least for the convenience of the guests using the room.
- Pool/Beach Towel policy, 1 card per person to exchange for 1 towel, etc. This simply is not ‘luxury’. There seems to be no clear policy for getting more towels. And frankly speaking, the whole concept reminds me of a 1980’s ‘Motel’ especially with the printed warning, 'if you lose the towel or the card you will be charged Euro25' . Perhaps, a lower standard of hotel guest have abused the towels and the policy was created, however - I am a strong believer that each and every service is targeted for a specific type of customer. I am saying that if Ma&Ma is trying to market to Luxury clientele, then why the ‘Motel’ type policies.
- The hotel does not actually have a beach at all. Their advertising shows a beach with white sand, but there is in fact no such thing on the property or in close vicinity of the property, the beach that is near the hotel is a 5 minute walk away and is completely covered with rocks.
- The bathroom is not a luxury hotel standard; small shower with very very low water pressure, no seating, limited amenities, long wait time for hot water, etc.
- No notepad and pen next to the room telephone
- No USB charging outlets
- No luggage rack
I could continue, but suffice to say that I feel I was cheated, the advertising is a hoax.
We checked out on day 3 of our 6 day planned and booked stay, we were not given a refund, not apology, no offer was made to transfer us back to the airport, and I was charged in full for the 6 nights.
I can only strongly advise that this establishment needs to be avoided.
I had a great time with my family at Grand Hotel Ma&Ma. Spacious room, beautiful swimming pool, excellent spa and great dinning options. Above all, I would like to thank Ma&Ma's staff for the very attentive attitude, specially towards my daughter. Carolina was particularly and the supervisor whose name I forgot (sorry!) were particularly kind when she had a thorn in her thumb. Many thanks!