Novotel Phuket Karon Beach Resort and Spa
What We Love
- The 250-feet long lagoon pool with swim-up bar
- Family-friendly, with a range of kids clubs, a videogame room and babysitting services
- Crisp and colorful decor
What To Know
- Opened in October 2014
- It’s not right on the beach, but it’s only a short walk across the main road
- Karon is family-friendly, but parents should note that nearby Bangla Plaza is adults-only
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Within easy reach of Karon Beach, this sprawling 224-room retreat feels like a miniature village, with low-rise whitewashed buildings surrounding a central free-form pool. The resort is split into six distinct areas, each home to a different room category; families are catered to with kids clubs and a videogame area. The modern lobby is kitted out with chunky tile floors, wooden chandeliers and gold mosaic details, and the resort is set on a lush plot dotted with towering palms.
Bed and Bath
There’s a definite emphasis on families here; Family Rooms are equipped with bunk beds and welcome packs for kids. Couples might prefer the Plunge Pool rooms or Suites, which come with spacious living rooms. Even the standard rooms are comfortable and welcoming, with polished hardwood floors and technicolor cushions, throws and rugs. All feature a balcony overlooking the grounds.
Just as there are six different room zones, the resort offers an array of dining options, including a pool grill, an all-day diner and a sports bar. The Tai restaurant excels in Asian specialities that cover the best of China, Japan, Korea, the Philippines and Thailand (the pad Thai is stunning). The Inbalance Spa has 10 cool, uncluttered treatment rooms; try the Royal Thai massage — there’s no oil involved, and the therapist works on pressure points to release tension. Of course, Karon’s best asset is the beach, a mile-long stretch that is rarely crowded, even in high season.
In the Area
Once a fishing village, Karon is now more or less joined to its southern neighbor, Kata, making up one long recreational beach strip. Karon Market (every Tuesday and Saturday on the grounds of the Wat Karon temple) offers an excellent opportunity to hone your bargaining skills on handicrafts, clothing and souvenirs. For alfresco Thai food, drop by any of the reasonably priced and positively cheerful restaurants beside Nong Han Lake. Come sunset, it’s well worth heading to Cape Promthep, at the southern tip of the island, to rub shoulders with the locals, who will be out catching the cool evening breeze.
How to Get There
We spent a wonderful week at Novotel with superb staff and daily activities for the whole family.
They took really good care of my son when he wasn't well.
The stuffed omelettes were amazing!
We will definitely be back.
I had a 90 minute massage treatment at the onsite spa at NOVOTEL Phuket Karon which was exceptional. Beautiful ambience in the spa area and massage room and lovely friendly staff! Very relaxing treatment which I thoroughly enjoyed 😄
Difficult to understand why this hotel gets such ratings. It was our worse stay in Thailand and Asia to date. A family room ordered to have toys and bright bunk beds resulted in nothing except a bed that was unusable because it creaked at the slightest touch. At six am, the pool cleaner started the power washing industrial machine parked right outside the door. Breakfast was average at best, busy and noisy. Service frankly poor and we had to ask three times at poolside for basic order to be corrected.
The hotel offered us points but not a refund. Disappointing given that we didn’t get what we paid for, didn’t get a functional room and were inconvenienced in a way that spoilt the first day of holiday.
Phuket has many resorts. Avoid this one !
Novotel has exceptionally good properties across the world and one would expect nothing less at 'Phuket' one of more visited resort island.But Novotel Karon Resort is inching its way up, having not reached the standards as yet.
Location: Well placed resort, nearest to Karon Beach's prime section with lot of personal space. The Water sports and Shade Umbrelllas & Beach Chair rows are 25 metres away from prime section.
Beach-side shacks are merely 400 metres from Novotel Karon.
- Front office staff is exceptionally efficient and responsive to needs. I must compiment 'JANE and NOOK' as two Star performers.
- Planet-21 program that allows guests to let-go housekeeping services (saving water and eco-conservation) and in return, earn redeemable vouchers of THB 200/USD 7 per day, after 2nd nights stay. A brilliant and innovative concept observed first time in all my global travels.
- Water Slide in kids pool
- Kids pool and deck setup layering in front with Family rooms behind is really nice setup.
- Restaurants and Cuisines: 4 restaurants that keep offering different cuisine and dinner program every week day.
- Guests' Safety Guard: A guard at main entrance is provisioned specifically, to manage traffic flow ,as guests are cross road across resort (towards beach)/ returning to resort. Although a need compelled by location but a very sweet gesture.
-Complimentary Ice-lollies at Joe's Corner, located in the bigger, adult pool area.
- Adult pool has shallow depth to allow familes with kids to enjoy Water vollyball and a little more deeper end with Basketball and deck chairs at rim of pool.
-Family Rooms are in series of 3200-3300 and higher category rooms with individual Plunge pools, in range of Room no 4200s.
- Unlike most hotels/resorts, Novotel Karon allows guests to seek complimentary water bottle beyond standard 2 nos of bottles. A truly caring gesture indeed as months of April-August can be quite hot despite a monsoon season.
- Should increase count of activities for adults/ kids >12 yrs
- Infrastructure in some places need
a) (Intercom phones not working in many places - pools, kids club,etc)
b) Only 1 pool-side shower area in entire resort (next to adults' pool) and that too has one shower tap broken
c) floor tiles of swimming pools have sharp edges and gaps. Can definitely hurt and cut.
- Housekeeping's process for Lost & Found is inefficient. Item misplaced in guest's own room is not recovered/reported back to Front office even after 6.5 hours, while Guest is still on property.
But otherwise,,housekeeping staff is warm,amiable and good.
Overall a nice play to stay but Novotel/Accor can do better for such a distinct property.
Unlike Patong, Novotel Karon is located in a quieter area of Phuket. Directly across the road from the hotel is the beach and only about 10 minutes walk from the local shops and food stores.
There are daily dinner promotions so the meal are quite reasonably priced. There are also happy hours at the bars.
The hotel caters especially well for children and when we were there we saw many young families. There are 3 pools and are suitable for children. There is also a kids club. For the adults, you can have the promotional 60 minute massage and 30 minute facial for less than 1000 baht.
Overall, we had and enjoyable stay.