Furnas Boutique Hotel
What We Love
- Panoramic vistas and high-design interiors on the Azores island of São Miguel, with breakfastStaying in a newly opened retreat within easy reach of São Miguel’s attractions
- Wallowing in geothermal waters in both the indoor and outdoor pools
- Stocking up on all sorts of goodies from the onsite À Terra lobby market
- Lacing up for scenic hikes in the beautiful surroundings
What To Know
- Make a reservation for the standout À Terra restaurant
- The spa has a floatbed, Shirodhara massages, Vichy showers, a sauna, and a hammam
- The beach is four miles away
There are fewer places more stunning than Azores, the archipelago of nine pristine volcanic islands set in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, just off the coast of Portugal. Set on the largest island, São Miguel, the brand-new Furnas Boutique Hotel ticks all the boxes for nature-lovers and sporty types, with opportunities to canoe, whale-watch, dive, fish, bike and even swim with dolphins.
Open since March 2015, this boutique hideaway makes the most of its spectacular setting with panoramic views and high-design interiors. Given its wellness heritage, the spa is the hotel’s pièce de résistance. Alongside outdoor and indoor thermal pools, it also has a gym, sauna, hammam, whirlpool and Vichy shower.
How to Get There
This hotel was part of Marriott when booked with points. The hotel honored the reservation despite not being part of Marriott any longer. I did note that there were some maintenance issues that needed to be kept up with, but nothing that would ever deter me from coming back again as I could see that the ownership is working hard to keep up the standard. I did wish they had more of a staff on hand for spa services. We were 4 women who wanted to get massages at the same time so we could do other things during the day, but they only had 1 or 2 people available at any given time. Food is a bit overpriced as you can find fantastic places in town within walking distance for cheaper and so delicious. The hotels breakfast was plentiful.
Modern, clean and welcoming with a relaxing pool and spa. What more could you ask for when the rain is falling (again) in Furnas. Ideally located to explore Furnas on foot, only a short walk from the Caldeiras das Furnas and the town centre or the east of the island by car. Great place to stay for a few days relaxation and exploration.
I totally recommend. Perfect service, beautiful location and great facilities. Perfect for a romantic weekend or just to relax in Azores. Take advantage of the SPA and warm pool and have lunch or dinner at the restaurant!