Shangri-La’s Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa, Penang
What We Love
- Daily buffet breakfast is included in the Jetsetter rate
- Prime location right on Batu Ferringhi Beach
- Gorgeous CHI, The Spa offering Asian-influenced treatments
- Rasa Superior guests enjoy perks like nightly cocktails and a dedicated pool and lounge
- Suited to both families and couples, with two different wings
- The Cool Zone Kids’ Club runs fun-filled activities and provides two free meals per day for children 5 to 12
What To Know
- Free daily shuttle to/from the UNESCO heritage city of George Town, the main city on Penang island and the oldest colonial town in Malaysia
- The Garden Wing (home to Garden, Seafacing and Seaview rooms) is family-friendly; the Rasa Wing is more upscale
- Guests in the Rasa Wing enjoy extras like daily afternoon tea, evening cocktails and a dedicated lounge and swimming pool
- Breakfast in the Feringgi Grill is for Rasa Wing guests only, but all are welcome for dinner
- Free WiFi
- Golf Course
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
When you stay at Shangri-La’s Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa, Penang in Penang, you’ll be on the beach and minutes from East Wind Watersports and Eden Parade Shopping Centre. This 5-star resort is within close proximity of Tropical Spice Garden and PKSA Penang Water Sports Centre.
Make yourself at home in one of the 304 air-conditioned rooms featuring refrigerators and LCD televisions. Complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and satellite programming is available for your entertainment. Private bathrooms with separate bathtubs and showers feature deep soaking bathtubs and complimentary toiletries. Conveniences include phones, as well as safes and desks.
Relax at the full-service spa, where you can enjoy massages, body treatments, and facials. After practicing your swing on the golf course, you can dip into one of the 2 outdoor swimming pools. This resort also features complimentary wireless Internet access, concierge services, and babysitting/childcare (surcharge). Guests can get around on the complimentary shuttle, which operates within 15.00 km.
Grab a bite to eat at one of the resort’s 5 restaurants and 3 coffee shops/cafés, or stay in and take advantage of 24-hour room service. Relax with a refreshing drink at a beach bar, a poolside bar, or one of 3 bars/lounges.
Featured amenities include limo/town car service, express check-in, and express check-out. This resort has 15 meeting rooms available for events. Free self parking is available onsite.
How to Get There
Stayed on 5th floor garden wing, nice room with balcony and restricted sea view. Cant really fault the hotel but I sometimes really enjoy bacon and pork sausages for breakfast. Seems hotel is Pork Free but I dont see why this should be especially as most guests seem to be non moslems. Anyway all staff friendly. Though cooking demonstrations were great.
Had a garden suite which is just a very short stroll to the beach. Nice hotel especially the Rasa Wing where I stayed. Not a bad happy hour where they serve complimentary drinks and snacks (but I’ve had better with superior selection of drinks and food at other hotels). Friendly staff. Room, probably because of its location, always felt quite damp however and had an issue with various bugs and mosquitoes. A damp pair of cotton shorts took three days to line dry for example! It’s a shame this resort doesn’t have its own private beach either. Actually, this is a probably the best hotel in the area. I stayed at the sister hotel, The Golden Sands, a few years ago and this is much better. Cleaner, quieter, more friendly patrons and a decent buffet breakfast.
We just got back from a 2 nights stay at shangri-la rasa sayang penang and still having difficulty to move on..2 nights is very short to get to enjoy everything. Check in was a breeze. We get to enjoy a hot towel and nutmeg juice for welcome drinks. Its a bit too sweet for my liking. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. He gave us lots of insights of the resort and also Penang, like what to see and where to eat. The room was of good size. We had a connecting room with our parents. Our kids really enjoyed the room. There was food/snack hidden under a tudung saji. Different snack each day which i find really interesting since its a local Penang snack so we got to enjoy and learn a thing or two about Penang.
We stayed in garden wing so we didn’t get to enjoy the rasa wing benefits. But still we get to enjoy the pools at golden sands resort and the adventure zone. The pool area was probably one of the best we have experienced. At rasa sayang itself there are kids pool and adults pool and we also enjoyed the pool at golden sands resort which has slides and a mini theme park.
There were also lots of activities at the kids cool zone club. Make sure you refer to the time table for the activities held. Unfortunately we didn’t have enough time to enjoy all the activities. The private beach was also well kept. It was really a lovely experience and we have already planned for our next stay at rasa sayang. Till next time.
A few makes and misses:
1. Go for the Rasa Wing. Room is spacious and functional. The bathroom is big; and the shower area is outstanding. Water pressure is good, water massage heads are working well, and I especially like the size of the shower room.
2. The bath in the balcony is kind of neat and interesting. Ask for a higher floor if you could. More privacy when you having the bath at your own semi private area. Nevertheless, if you are in the lower floor, you can lower the shade at the balcony and nobody can see you.
3. The staff on site are the biggest plus in this hotel. Very friendly, warm, helpful and great customer service all the way. Especially those at the restaurants and lounge area; so friendly, and very anticipative of customers’ wants. Special thanks to Nazri at the Feringgi Grill, who serve my table. He is attentive, professional, accommodating, attentive to details, warm and wanting to help. I went back for dinner the next evening, and he is one of the main reason. Two thumbs up.
4. All the freebies and privileges come with the Rasa Wing booking package; breakfast, afternoon tea, pre-dinner drinks with canopies, free drinks in the room from your fridge and pool. They are good! This is the hotel you can spend a few days here to relax and chill without going outside. You don’t even need to go to any of the restaurant by just having all the free food and drinks in your package.
5. They serve pre-dinner drink at the Rasa Lounge, as well as at the Feringgi Bar. I prefer the Feringgi Bar. It is smaller; but cosy, warm, personal, and the pianist (Denis) plays great music. The canopies are very tasty and in good variety. They change the type of canopies to be served everyday.
6. Check in is quick, easy and you feel valued. Reception staff is informative and helpful all the way.
1. Not responsive to guest requests by email before arrival. I email the hotel to ask for their assistance to book for restaurants in Penang before my arrival. They refuse to do so, saying that the restaurant is not in their hotel. I suspect that it is because the restaurant I originally wanted to go is in another hotel, and they might not want to do the booking for a rivalry. Later on, I ask them to book for another independent restaurant in George Town. They said they will come back to me, but never did. Moreover, I am bringing a wine to the hotel for a very special occasion, and ask if there is a corkage charge in their restaurant. They never come back either.
2. I was having a la carte breakfast at their restaurant, and order the Egg Benedict. I take one bite on the egg, and find a tiny pebble between my teeth. Luckily, it is not a huge and heavy bite, otherwise my teeth will surly break. I show the tiny pebble to the waitress and she take it and walk away without saying anything, or apologise. I can only assume it is the language barrier. I told the manager later on, and he show much sympathy and apologetic. I consider that an isolated case, but this could have big consequences if someone bite on it and break his teeth. This however is the only complaint I have on their entire staff in my entire stay.
3. My hotel room charge is pre-paid. When I arrive, Hotel take an in-print of my card and pre-authorised some amount for my stay. This is perfectly OK and understandable, and I am not aware how much they pre-authorised on my card. The problem happens on the 2nd night of my stay. I went to their steak restaurant for dinner. I and my wife having steak which cost over 600 RMG each, and the entire bill is over 1,400 RMG. It is expensive; but service is good and food quality is exceptional, and it is for a special occasion. However, the next morning; I got a message from the front desk and ask me to settle the bill. Turns out that they pre-authorised my card for 900 RMG only for 3 nights; and my dinner alone has overshoot that already. I have no problem if they put a larger ‘hold’ on my card. However, if every time I go to their restaurant with my family and eat more than 900 RMG, I will have to come to their front desk to get another pre-authorisation on my card, it is then not acceptable. I might as well charge it to my card at the restaurant instead of charging it to my room. The whole idea of putting all my charges in the hotel to my room is for convenience, and the hotel charging policy defeat that purpose.
All in all, this is a good and well maintained hotel. Staff quality “on site” is their biggest asset. Hope they improve on those hiccups mentioned above.
We stayed in November, 2018. Not a peak travel period I assume, as the place was wonderfully quiet for a family-oriented place. The pool is great, and it's just steps to the beach (though there was a jelly fish incident while we were there, handled very quickly, discreetly and well by the staff). I found our rooms a little underwhelming for the price and was very put out by the lack of a handheld shower in the attached bathroom. It's essential if you have any sort of mobility issue. The buffet at the restaurant was pretty good (for a buffet), nice variety. The highlight of our stay, as with most stays in Malaysian hotels and resorts, was the staff. One wait person even gave me slices of lemon and little pots of honey to take back to my room because I was coughing a lot! And she made sure to check on my health the next time she saw me. Little things like that cannot be trained, they come from the heart.