What We Love
- A handsome country manor outside Jo’burg, with rose gardens, a pool and classic interiorsGazing out onto the vast African landscape from the pool and spotting rich birdlife through your binoculars in the grounds
- Taking an early evening turn in the rose gardens before a sumptuous, four-course South African feast in the formal dining room
- Spending an indecent amount of time wafting around your traditional suite
What To Know
- It's a romantic getaway great for couples
- Afternoon tea is served in the library or chess room
- There's plenty to do on the grounds, including croquet, archery and lawn tennis
An industrialist’s early 20th-century homage to a childhood family home, Welgelegen Manor is a wistfully romantic country hideaway in wide open South African terrain outside Johannesburg. The white colonial-style manor with vine-green shutters is laced with delicate rose gardens, a herb courtyard and landscaped terrace, and a sizeable pool framed with white pillars gazes onto endless savannah.
Indoors, eight boutique suites dressed in classic rural England and their refreshingly modern en-suites provide plenty of space to spread out in. The elegant period décor extends to the grand wood-panelled dining room, the graceful chess room and the library that beckons a quaint afternoon tea. While you’re feeling suitably lordly, squeeze in some croquet, lawn tennis and archery in the dreamy grounds.
If it wasn’t for the heady current buzz of Jo’burg just over an hour away and the surrounding nature reserves teeming with exotic South African wildlife, you might lose yourself in traditional English country life here. Welgelegen Manor carried off a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence.
How to Get There
This was our second stay at this extraordinary hotel, the decor is original and sumptuous our room is in the stable block and has a huge sleeping and living area along with a dressing room and wonderful bathroom. The food was delicious, the staff a delight and we will be back next year on our way back to Johannesburg Airport. Always a great way to end a holiday. Thank you.
Home has been beautifully restored and rooms very comfortable and spacious - service was excellent , well worth a stop over , and the history of the home is very interesting - mausoleum story well worth following up
From the accommodation to the staff and service, everything was outstanding.
What I did however miss was a terrace where drinks could be served, there was no bar area and neither was there a food menu. We had to eat what was put down in front of us and the helpings were very small, even the breakfast