The Principal Madrid
What We Love
- A sophisticated, five-star boutique hotel in central Madrid, with sublime city viewsThe amazing city views from the rooftop greenhouse
- The avant-garde cuisine in the hotel's restaurant
- The delicious massage jets in your large, walk-in shower
What To Know
- Housed in a landmark 1920s building
- Ático hosts live music and DJs in the evenings
- Noise from the street can keep light sleepers up at night
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
You can almost feel the beating heart of Madrid when you stay at this renovated, centrally located five-star hotel, housed in a landmark 1920s building. You’ll certainly be able to see all the action from Principal Madrid’s amazing roof terrace, showing off some of the capital’s best cityscapes.
Back inside the Ático penthouse, you can sip a cocktail by a huge open fireplace or dine on haute cuisine. This roomy, circular space’s high ceilings, large arched windows and pillars lend it a decidedly regal air. In the evenings, you might be entertained by music from the hotel’s resident DJ.
Both couples or individuals can be pampered in the Wellness Suite, where you can book the sauna for a private session and keep your fitness up in the in-house Technogym. Whether you spend the day sightseeing or shopping, or return late from sampling the city’s legendary nightlife, retire to the elegant modern haven of your room for a restful night’s sleep. This hotel is in the Unico portfolio, whose hotels are chosen for their unique style – stay here, and see why.
Superior rooms are spacious, with high ceilings and a king-sized bed, as well as wonderful city views. The décor is elegant and contemporary, with a calming color palette of neutrals. The en-suite bathrooms benefits from a walk-in shower with massage jets.
Ático restaurant is the hotel’s exceptional dining option. From the tip-top breakfasts to the avant-garde cuisine in the evenings, dishes here offer unparalleled freshness and flavor.
Step out of the front entrance, and many of Madrid’s main attractions are on your doorstep. The hotel lies at the intersection of two of the city’s most iconic streets: Alcalá and Gran Vía. From here, you can explore the unmissable museums of the old city, like the famous Prado and Reina Sofia, plus the grand squares and parks: Plaza Mayor, Royal Palace and El Retiro.You can also rub shoulders with the city’s smart set in the nearby Salesas neighborhood, with its great shopping by day and lively bars and clubs by night.
How to Get There
We began our 10-day trip to Spain at The Principal Madrid and it set the tone for our entire stay. The property is well appointed with very comfortable rooms. The staff could not be more helpful and accommodating and no request is too much. We were recommended to visit the roof top bar to see the views of the city - not to be missed! The breakfast is sublime and even though it is a buffet, the staff will bring items to your table if you wish. All in all, we felt cossetted and the staff really made for a memorable visit.
This hotel came up in my booking research through Expedia VIP Access program and I feel fortunate to have stumbled on to this property.
At first, during checking in, we faced slight issues but it was corrected, looked in to and positively acknowledged by the senior staff & guest managers. My review is clearly for the two people who made my stay in this hotel perfect and a happy memory.
Xaviar and Jacobo R - You two are rockstars of this hotel. The Luxury is defined by your gestures and hospitality.. Thank you.
About the hotel...
1) Most rooms have great views of the Gran Via, some that say City Views have views but different than the majestic and lit Gran Via streets.
2) Their breakfast is expensive compared to many other places but you are also right in the middle of a food haven.
3) This place is centrally located to Petra Del Sol, the Royal Palace, etc so I would give it a walking score of 9/10. Make sure you have the right shoes!!
4) I have reviewed all hotels in my Spain trip and clearly mentioned about their pillows that I did not like .. but this hotel had the best pillow, length, material, foam and size.
5) They do have coffee machines and some good tea options. They don't have an ironing table/iron. Really clean property, has 2 elevators unlike many other places
6) A plus point is their amazing Terrace Bar and Area. It has a beautiful romantic setting with great service. They have many wine options as well. The view from up there and the lighting just make it all perfect at the end of the day. The bar is open until 1 am.
7) They also have Shuttle/Private Taxi which charges the same amount as regular taxis. Just make sure to book in advance because seems like they only have 1.
It is worth the price if you want have a great stay in Madrid and call it a luxury vacation for couples like us.
I would definitely come back.
The Principal Hotel is wonderful. It is lovely, the rooms are very nice, and the staff is so very pleasant. The rooftop outdoor space and bar are the icing on the cake. We had a fabulous stay and will stay there again. Perfect location near everything you want to see in Madrid, and so close to many great restaurants. The hotel breakfast is wonderful too.
You know the lobby/tiny elevator situation may not be much at the moment and their poached eggs need some work, but in the end this hotel is fantastic when it comes to the things that matter: the service/staff is amazingly friendly, the rooms are very nice, and so is the breakfast overall
Completely loved this hotel. Rooms, location, staff and food were all amazing! Absolutely recommend it spending a couple of days in Madrid. Location permits to walk to nearby great restaurants and landmarks. Dinner at their restaurant is definitely worth it.