NH Collection Madrid Suecia
What We Love
- Excellent location on a quiet street close to Madrid's busiest square, the Puerta del Sol
- Sweeping skyline views from the rooftop pool and bar
- Mod rooms and designer flourishes throughout
What To Know
- Dating from 1956, the building was once Ernest Hemingway's residence
- The gym is open 24 hours
- The peekaboo bathrooms may not suit everyone's privacy needs
- Free WiFi
- The rooftop bar is closed in the winter months
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Room Service
Dating from 1956, this iconic building can count Ernest Hemingway and the Swedish royal family as former residents. Reimagined and reopened in December 2013, the Innside Madrid Suecia now serves as a cutting-edge addition to the history-rich downtown Madrid hotel scene. Flashy sliding glass doors lead through to a futuristic reception area illuminated by white LED lights and a buzzy bar under a ceiling studded with dramatic UFO-esque light fixtures. The lounge area is decorated with shiny black stone tiles and red swivel egg chairs.
Bed and Bath
In line with the Innside brand’s urban-chic concept, the guestrooms are appointed with mod white leather furnishings, psychedelic LED lighting and gray hardwood floors. The sleek black trim that frames the beds and wardrobes is softened by red graphic print throws and pastel-colored curtains. The peekaboo bathrooms might not be for everyone (the rainfall showers are enclosed in transparent glass doors that lead from the bedroom). The 127 rooms are fairly small (starting at 205 square feet), but the large windows let in plenty of light and offer views of Madrid’s historic streets.
The in-house restaurant, Dado Deli, is a chirpy and bright casual gastrobar that serves Mediterranean lunches. Sip cocktails at the rooftop bar or take a dip in the plunge pool, which overlooks the Palacio de Cibeles. Both the rooftop bar (weather permitting) and the lobby-level lounge bar are open until 2 a.m. daily. The small gym is open 24 hours, or you can get your exercise by hitting the streets; the Círculo de Bellas Artes de Madrid and the Gran Via are within strolling distance, and it’s a two-minute walk to the Banco de España metro station.
In the Area
This is as close to the city center as you can get. The hotel is steps from many of Madrid’s most interesting attractions, including the iconic Palacio de Cibeles, the Circulo de Bellas Artes, the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza and the bustling Puerta del Sol. Within walking distance you can also hit the shops along Calle Preciados, nibble on tapas in the lively La Latina neighborhood and stroll around Retiro Park.
How to Get There
We stayed here for 4 nights. We loved the location, the room (premium for 2 adults and 2 kids - with a crib).
The staff are beyond excellent. Katy and Rocio at concierge, Artur and Daniel as bellmen, nothing but appreciation and praise for them! The reception staff are warm and helpful.
I only have 2 reasons for giving this hotel 4, instead of 5 star.
1) getting bags out of a car is not easy. In theory there should be a space in front of the hotel to offload, but it wasn’t always available and we arrived with 7 suitcases, and lots of little bags after 4 days driving and we had to do it in 2 trips because we kept blocking traffic. Also, you have to go up stairs to get to reception (their is a small elevator but you need keys to use them and with a stroller having to wait for keys is not fun) although as I said before, Daniel and Artur were always there and helping us get up and down the stairs and stored our big stroller wagon for us when we weren’t using it.
2) the breakfast staff. They were a tough group. Not very proactive, you have to chase someone down to get you the high chair (instead of them just seeing us and getting it right away). I had to eat standing many times to make sure my 2 year old didn’t dive head first off the chair (due to lack of the high chair). Not very friendly. Especially if you compare them to the rest of the staff. Also, the restaurant has super slow service. Great food, but takes a long time to be attended.
Other than those points, the hotel is great! We walked all over the city, had retiro park a few minute walk away. calle serrano for shopping super close by! I highly recommend it!
We also got lucky with a terrace on our room. Good restaurant, location, staff, nothing to complain about here. Easy walks to a lot of the most sought after sites for tourists. Restaurant , also has theatre a few doors down
We stayed here for 3 nights in April 2019. Unfortunately, during our stay my husband lost his cell phone in an Uber car ride. He received a text from the Uber HQ in Madrid saying the Uber driver dropped off his phone there. By this time, we were already back home. We requested the hotel staff to kindly pick it up from the Uber HQ (Since Uber didn't want to ship it to us). The hotel staff personally went to the Uber office to pick up the phone, and we arranged for UPS to have it picked up from the hotel. Throughout this time, the hotel staff was very kind, reassuring and communicated with us in a timely manner. We were very impressed with the hotel staff's customer service and responsiveness.
Also walking distance to many major attractions in Madrid. Highly recommend!
Room (Premium) was very specious, service was superb, lovely decoration and facilities, and location is perfect as it is both centralized yet in a quiet street. Advantage is a free entrance to the Roof Top for the hotel guests.
Breakfast service staff should be more attentive. Not critical as overall breakfast experience was fine.
This hotel is located very well. It is walking distance from Prado and Thyssen. The palace is a bit further but still walkable.
The staff was friendly and helpful.
The room was nice and clean with a comfy bed and a large bathroom. One niggle was that they only had one hook for towels in the shower. So, difficult to hang wet towels or keep them dry while one showers.
We didn't have the buffet breakfast. We did have one breakfast at the bar/restaurant and it was a bit disappointing. Also, has a rooftop bar with a good view of the city.