Vivanta By Taj
What We Love
- Daily breakfast is included in the Jetsetter rate
- All rooms come with a private balcony or terrace
- Four restaurants and two bars
- The terraced infinity pool overlooks the Indian Ocean
What To Know
- A 10 percent service charge per night will be collected at the Jetsetter checkout
- Free WiFi for up to two (or otherwise) devices?
- The Palms restaurant is open 7am to 11pm
- Personal trainers are available in the fitness center from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Free WiFi
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
Bunk down in a bold, sunny room at this Indian Ocean resort on Sri Lanka’s southwest coast. Colorful turquoise accent walls and bright orange linens complement the resort’s earthy beach scene, while intricately carved headboards add a dash of local charm. Upgrade to an Allure, Temptation or Presidential Suite for a walk-in closet, rainfall shower, and Forest Essentials ayurvedic toiletries. Poolside meals at the Palms include sprawling buffets that mix Western and Sri Lankan specialties, or you can opt for the Sri Lankan lunch platter, a mix of red rice, chicken curry, tempered radish, ambarella chutney, beans in coconut milk, and spicy coconut. Elevate evening dining at SHACK, an open-air seafood spot overlooking the ocean, and retire to Tease for a nightcap — a shot of Sri Lankan Coconut Arrack should do the trick.
In the Area
When you’ve tired of sunbathing on this prime stretch of Bentota Beach, ask the concierge to book a boat ride in the nearby mangrove backwaters or set up a visit to the Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery. A local family started the conservation project in 1988, and it protects five species of endangered turtle. Spend the evening on a champagne cruise down the Madu River, or arrange for a private dinner in a beach gazebo.
How to Get There
We booked our holiday through Destinology in UK. There were only 2 rain showers during the 8 days we stayed (end June/ July 2018) and the average temperature was 31c. It was hot, sticky and humid. This hotel was sold to us as a 5 star venue but disappointingly in our opinion, it didn’t reach that standard.
• Comfortable bed and selection of pillows
• Towel art was entertaining
• Two bottles of water were left in the room each day
• The cleaners were very obliging and friendly
• Ceramic floor tiles were chipped and scratched as were the doors
• Stained bath, bathroom in dire need of refurbishment and update
• Good shower pressure
• There were no bathrobes or slippers provided which one would expect at a 5 star resort
• Disturbed by other guests dragging furniture across the floor at night on numerous occasions (we were on 5th floor)
• Thankful to be moved to a suite to escape the noise, bathroom was a definite improvement
• Due to several food intolerances, the chef offered to make some separate dishes which was very much appreciated and well received
• The Chinese restaurant was excellent
• We ate mostly in the buffet restaurant, there was a good choice of different dishes to cater for every nationality and some very tasty curries available
• The selection and quality of fresh fruit was a bit of a let down, although this is probably down to availability in the country
• We were half board but had to purchase bottled water (200 RS) to consume with each meal
• We paid 800 RS for a pint of lager at the hotel and 400 RS for a diet coke
• There are a few shops in the hotel but if you want to purchase drinks and snacks for the room, it’s worth taking a tuk tuk into Bentota and visiting a local supermarket (Keels) where, for example, a bottle of diet coke can be purchased for just 70 RS
• The swimming pool is popular and was warm every day. It’s located on a higher floor overlooking the sea, providing some wonderful views whilst sunbathing
• The hotel is able to arrange transportation for tours, entrance fees are extra. Bentota is a 4 hour drive to Kandy, 3.5 hours to Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage and roughly the same to Yala National Park for safari, so worth bearing this in mind when planning where to stay.
• The public beach is outstanding and regularly cleaned up closest to the hotel. The sea was quite rough with jelly fish warnings when we were there but there were guests that ignored these
• The bar was busy during the world cup with live screenings of matches, staff friendly and live music provided nightly
• On the whole, excellent, always eager to please and some staff went the extra mile. Most staff spoke English well.
A bit disappointed with the quality of the accommodation and thankful we were moved to a suite. The staff are lovely and the food in general very good.
Nothing like the Taj service I expected.
- Poor service in restaurants,I had to move tables myself because the staff are so slow and incompetent
- lazy staff around the pool. They try to tell me where to sit so they dont have to bring lounger cushions. Took pool staff 25 minutes to bring some ice to us
- upon check in the bathtub was stained and dirty. The shower screen had dirty Mark's from precious guests... obviously not good at cleaning either
- wedding anniversary arrangements not met when requested ruining our day
Service is poor and slow. Even when discussing with duty manager at the beginning of our stay there was no improvement. Nothing like the taj service. More of a 3-4 star hotel! I wouldn't recommend this hotel or brand at all if you want a relaxing holiday.
stayed in Taj for 2 nights but the property is amazing and 2 nights not enough. very close to the beach and so much to do within the hotel. my son had a great time. The staff takes care of every small requirement.
We had a memorable stay here. The staff here is very courteous and helpful. And the sea view it offers is amazing, very nice view of sunset from room balcony as well as swimming pool area. They have very good chefs, the food served was delicious. I specially liked their buffet breakfast and dinner, it had wide variety of food to choose from and food served was very delicious.
Me and my husband stayed at Vivanta last week for our honeymoon.
The staff is wonderful and the service, one of the best I've seen. They make you feel like royalty and everyone pays a big attention to details. Congratulations!
I deeply recommend the SPA. They are real proffesionals and they oils they work with are like from another world. You have to try this experience, you become another person, a more relaxed one.
As for the food, we recommend trying the a la carte Sea View Restaurant. The food is one of the best we've tryed and my husband still insists the Chef should have a Michelin star. You get an exquisite dinner for a third of the price you would pay in western Europe.
The Shack restaurant is also not too far behind.
Totally recommend this hotel although the rooms could be a bit renovated as one can see they are a bit old. Nevertheless they are very well maintained.
Hotel is very clean and thw food at the main restaurant is also varried and very tasty combining both the european (also English) breakfast and the asian one.
Don't forget to take care of the people working in the hotel. They are the ones who make this hotel so great and they appreciate every attention.