The Remote Resort, Fiji Islands
What We Love
- The Jetsetter rate includes all non-motorized water sports (sea kayaks, snorkel gear, handline fishing) and island experiences including a hidden beach castaway day (with lunch), a coconut & pina colada show, a chef’s cooking demo and a village visit
- Light-flooded oceanfront villas with alfresco bathrooms and plunge pools
- In-villa spa treatments and massages are available
- WiFi is free in the main pavilion restaurant and bar
What To Know
- A very intimate retreat; the resort sleeps a maximum of 10 guests
- Popular with honeymooners
- The one-bedroom Oceanfront Villas are not suitable for children. Families should book the two-bedroom Oceanfront Villa
- Guests will first need to fly to Nadi International Airport and then connect via a one-hour flight to Taveuni or Savusavu
- Daily gourmet meal plans and transfers from/to Taveuni or Savusavu are mandatory and need to be booked directly with the property prior to arrival
- Free WiFi
- Room Service
True to its name, the Remote Resort is located on an isolated peninsula on the island of Vanua Levu, close to Rainbow Reef, one of Fiji’s best dive sites. The intimate retreat is home to just four oceanfront villas and is set on a 64-acre plot studded with pineapple and papaya trees. With a “high design, low impact” philosophy, the spacious villas are decked out with timber that has been felled and milled on-site and furniture made from local vesi trees. The minimal white-on-wood interiors ensure that the attention is placed firmly on the ocean and jungle views, which can be seen from huge windows shaded by wooden louvers. All villas have private plunge pools, spacious decks with daybeds, Bose docking stations and alfresco bathrooms with open-air showers. Guests can decide where to dine, from a secluded supper on the beach to a laid-back in-villa feast. Tuck into South Pacific flavors cooked on a wood-fired stove or a lovo, a traditional barbecue with an underground grill.
In the Area
The Rainbow Reef, discovered by Jacques Cousteau, is just 10 minutes from the resort and is home to more than 20 stunning dive sites. Resort activities such as volleyball, bocce, kayaking and snorkeling are also included in the rate. Vanua Levu is Fiji’s second-largest island and is home to the colorful Naag Mandir Temple and Wasali Nature Reserve, an untouched rainforest cut with hiking trails.
How to Get There
To call this place just a resort is not doing it any justice. This an experience of a lifetime. My husband is not a beach kind of person. I am. We both got an extraordinary memories from our stay here. All rooms are amazing. The views are breathtaking. The staff is incredibly attentive and thoughtful. The chef cooked the most delicious meals. They even set up couple private trips to nearby village and islands just for me and my husband. We plan to go back in a year or two again. It is a very special place.
We honeymooned at the Remote Island Resort in January 2019 for 3 nights and 4 days. It was wonderful. From the time our plane landed on Taveuni until the time we were dropped off at the airport coming back, everything was perfectly taken care of and catered to us by the Remote Island Resort. The resort itself is beautiful and peaceful. We stayed in an oceanfront villa with gorgeous views of the ocean. The outdoor bathroom was positioned in between two waterfalls and was simply stunning. The food was always delicious and fresh.
Beyond the facilities and food, and what truly makes this place amazing, is the staff. All the staff members introduced themselves to us and knew our names. They quickly addressed all of our requests. They knew all of the activities we had planned for the day and were helpful in preparing us for them. They were kind and welcoming. One of my favorite memories is that at the end of our trip, they organized a beautiful dinner for us out on the jetty, under a starfilled summer-evening sky. We highly recommend and hope to return one day.
It is hard to add to the many excellent reviews already posted here. Even though we visited during a particularly unusual wet and rainy week (not the Resort's fault!), everything was still exceptional. I think it is a testament to the wonderful staff that even during less than ideal weather conditions, they made the experience wonderful. Beautiful accommodations, great meals, outstanding location, excellent snorkeling, warm and personal service... the list goes on.
With weather induced flight cancellations and delays, Natasha, Dan and their staff did an incredible job of adjusting and accommodating rapidly changing itineraries for many guests (including us) and they did it all seamlessly (at least made it appear that way) and with a smile. They have left us with fond memories of Fiji and the Remote Resort. All of the accolades the resort has received here are well deserved.
We commenced our honeymoon at The Remote Resort. We actually stayed at the Mantangi Island Resort afterwards, thinking we were leaving the best until last. Oh how wrong we were! This resort not only delivered far better in terms of hospitality and amenities, but it was also cheaper.
What we loved:
- The staff are fantastic!
- The resort has more of a modern tropical aesthetic.
- It was lovely being able to snorkel and paddle board straight off the beach in our down time (our highlight was spotting a lobster).
- The range of activities on offer were great.
- We thought the Rainbow Reef is stunning. It does not contain a lot of big fish like what we are used to seeing when visiting the Great Barrier Reef; however, the coral and masses of small fish were spectacular.
- We loved visiting the local village. I was a bit unsure of how I would feel about the experience (I didn’t want it to be reduced to a ‘poverty porn’ scenario); however, it was a wonderful experience that was very respectful. I work as a teacher in a school that works closely with an international aid agency, so I wanted to personally bring some school supplies with me. I unfortunately left it a bit late so had to purchase them in the international airport I departed from - and the range was not fantastic. The school there is a kindergarten for those who would likewise consider contributing something.
I don’t want to give too much away about what makes this place special, so you will just need to go for yourselves to find out.
We truly enjoyed our 5 days at Remote ..... Such a picturesque and beautiful resort with the most genuine, helpful and somewhat eclectic team of happy Fijian staff you could possibly ever imagine (congratulations to the management on creating such a great staff culture ..... the word family could better be used to describe them than staff anyway). We did everything.... the full drinks package, a uniquely Fijian twist cocktail of the day +++ every day , a massage on our private deck everyday afternoon and all possible activities. Awesome Snorkelling , sunsets and food . The recently new manager Yohan ( I hope this spelling is correct ) is a true gentleman too