Macdonald Bath Spa
What We Love
- Great inhouse spa with large indoor pool for laps plus heated outdoor pool with bubble jets, and a thermal suite with saunas and cool rooms to try
- The service is impeccable, from the butlers in tails who greet you to the room service
- From a Feature Suite you'll be high up enough to get classic Bath views
- The old Georgian part of the hotel, known as the North Wing, has soaring ceilings, aristocratic chandeliers and four-poster beds in some rooms
- Feature Suites include a glass of champagne and canapes every evening, butler service and free parking
What To Know
- Parking costs £5 (unless you're in a Feature Suite)
- It’s not a young and trendy hotel and has some annoying old-school details like expensive phone call charges, marble bathrooms with bidet, and trouser presses
- It’s on Sydney Road, a 15-minutes walk from the centre of Bath, which is lovely but you will need to walk or taxi into town
- The main Vellore restaurant is huge – it is the old ballroom – and if the hotel isn’t full, eating here feels a bit strange
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
With a stay at Macdonald Bath Spa in Bath, you’ll be minutes from Sydney Gardens and The Holburne Museum. This 5-star hotel is close to Bath Abbey and Roman Baths.
Make yourself at home in one of the 129 air-conditioned rooms featuring minibars and flat-screen televisions. Complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and satellite programming is available for your entertainment. Private bathrooms with shower/tub combinations feature designer toiletries and bidets. Conveniences include phones, as well as safes and desks.
Pamper yourself with a visit to the spa, which offers massages, body treatments, and facials. You’re sure to appreciate the recreational amenities, including a health club, an outdoor pool, and an indoor pool. This Victorian hotel also features complimentary wireless Internet access, a hair salon, and wedding services.
Grab a bite to eat at the hotel’s restaurant, where you can take in a garden view and dine alfresco (weather permitting). Or stay in and take advantage of room service (during limited hours). Relax with a refreshing drink at one of the 3 bars/lounges. English breakfasts are available daily for a fee.
Featured amenities include express check-in, express check-out, and complimentary newspapers in the lobby. Event facilities at this hotel consist of a conference center and meeting rooms. Self parking (subject to charges) is available onsite.
How to Get There
The gym area in this hotel has Michael Jackson (hardly appropriate for a family hotel) songs on repeat, I could almost understand this is as a mistake if it was a one off in a long playlist but they have non stop Michael Jackson songs, one after another, playing day and night.
I feel like this is symptomatic of the whole way this hotel is run, nobody is paying attention to the details, the building has massive potential but I have had better service at a premier inn.
Stayed here with two friends for a long weekend in July. The hotel is a little outside the hustle and bustle of Bath in a very tranquil location on the edge of a huge park. Discreet luxury in a lovely environment. The only gripe: the feeble air-conditioning, while the windows are very hard to open.
My wife and I decided to have a break after our 50th birthday celebrations. This hotel and spa is quite frankly one of the best hotels we have stayed at. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite, and were provided with a bottle of champagne in the room to celebrate our birthdays. The restaurant was very quiet both nights we stayed, so lacked a little bit of atmosphere, but the food was absolutely delicious.
The spa facilities were clean and well presented. The outdoor pool is more like a bath than pool.
We had breakfast delivered to our room both mornings which was lovely to relax before hitting the city centre. There's plenty to see and do in Bath, whether you're a fan of the shops, Jane Austin or just stunning architecture. This is a superb place.
The hotel itself is maybe 1 mile from the town centre itself. It is an easy walk or a cheapish cab ride into town. This could be the only negative I could have for this place.