Macdonald Bath Spa
What We Love
- Great inhouse spa with large indoor pool for laps plus heated outdoor pool with bubble jets, and a thermal suite with saunas and cool rooms to try
- The service is impeccable, from the butlers in tails who greet you to the room service
- From a Feature Suite you'll be high up enough to get classic Bath views
- The old Georgian part of the hotel, known as the North Wing, has soaring ceilings, aristocratic chandeliers and four-poster beds in some rooms
- Feature Suites include a glass of champagne and canapes every evening, butler service and free parking
What To Know
- Parking costs £5 (unless you're in a Feature Suite)
- It’s not a young and trendy hotel and has some annoying old-school details like expensive phone call charges, marble bathrooms with bidet, and trouser presses
- It’s on Sydney Road, a 15-minutes walk from the centre of Bath, which is lovely but you will need to walk or taxi into town
- The main Vellore restaurant is huge – it is the old ballroom – and if the hotel isn’t full, eating here feels a bit strange
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
With a stay at Macdonald Bath Spa in Bath, you’ll be minutes from Sydney Gardens and The Holburne Museum. This 5-star hotel is close to Bath Abbey and Roman Baths.
Make yourself at home in one of the 129 air-conditioned rooms featuring minibars and flat-screen televisions. Complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and satellite programming is available for your entertainment. Private bathrooms with shower/tub combinations feature designer toiletries and bidets. Conveniences include phones, as well as safes and desks.
Pamper yourself with a visit to the spa, which offers massages, body treatments, and facials. You’re sure to appreciate the recreational amenities, including a health club, an outdoor pool, and an indoor pool. This Victorian hotel also features complimentary wireless Internet access, a hair salon, and wedding services.
Grab a bite to eat at the hotel’s restaurant, where you can take in a garden view and dine alfresco (weather permitting). Or stay in and take advantage of room service (during limited hours). Relax with a refreshing drink at one of the 3 bars/lounges. English breakfasts are available daily for a fee.
Featured amenities include express check-in, express check-out, and complimentary newspapers in the lobby. Event facilities at this hotel consist of a conference center and meeting rooms. Self parking (subject to charges) is available onsite.
How to Get There
On arrival the hotel is beautiful, the grounds are superb, but that’s about it!
Staff incredibly rude, with no personality.... food extremely average and quite poor for a Macdonald hotel.
We had to eat breakfast in the corridor after waiting for 20 mins in a queue to be seated, to be told there is no room. Just a massive unorganised mess. Service was slow and most things were cold by the time received.
This is the 6th Macdonald hotel I’ve stayed in and undoubtedly the worst.
Very poor customer service. Stuff extremely unhelpful and unpleasant. Very small spa fecilities, some out of order. Swimming pool size of a larger bath, not enough sun loungers. Poor variety of buffet hot food I would even say none. I would not stay again.
The first day we had to eat breakfast in a corridor because of the queue and the toast was cold. The second day we arrived at 930 to a long queue. We were seated but had to wait until 10.00 to order. We then waited 45 minutes to get our cooked breakfast so we didn’t eat until 1045 and we were supposed to check out at 11. Everyone else in the room was complaining and having the same issues - although there were only half a dozen tables left and they were still incredibly slow. I ordered a soft boiled egg and it was hard (I heard others say this). Only one of us was offered toast and tea which was a shame and when it came it was soft and cold. People kept complaining but no one was really apologising just explaining that it’s very busy which is understandable but surely they knew it would be!
Had a Spa day booked for today, what a disappointment, we were told there were no slippers, so had to walk around bare footed, although other people were given slippers who arrived after us, I thought this was horrendous as there are foot infections you can easily pick up from floors! The relaxation room ran out of cold water! The staff were rude and unhelpful, we won’t be going back!!
The hotel looks very nice from the outside. The grounds are also very pretty. The entrance and the foyer are pretty grand, however, the rooms are tired and in need of renovation. Wallpapers are peeling off in the corridors, our en suite bathroom had paint peeling off and some wooden elements were rotting. The pipes are very noisy and the beds are very squeeky.
We only had lunch in the restaurant. The food was ok, but slightly overpriced (over 5 pounds for a cup of tea). The staff managed to get the order of two teas wrong.
Good location-10 min walk to Bath city centre.