Belmond Sanctuary Lodge
What We Love
- The rate includes buffet breakfast, a la carte lunch and a la carte dinner
- Location next door to Machu Picchu makes visiting the heritage site a snap
- On-site hot tub has mountain views
- Innovative, gourmet Peruvian cuisine using home-grown produce
- Massages and yoga sessions help muscles relax post-hike
- The hotel stocks a telescope and digital binoculars for stargazers and birdwatchers
What To Know
- The Lodge is up the hill from Machu Picchu town and the Aguas Calientes train station, and is only accessible via public bus; there are no taxis going to the Machu Picchu complex
- Property is about 8,200 feet above sea level, so guests often feel effects of the high-altitude
- Only 2,500 people are allowed entrance to the Machu Picchu complex each day, so book tickets in advance; the Lodge can also arrange for guides
- Check-out time is 11 a.m., but a day room is available for those departing by a later train
- The daily buffet lunch at Tinkuy is open to non-guests and can fill up quickly with hungry park visitors
- Members will be charged a 18% IVA tax by the property upon check-in that is exempt to foreigners of Peru. To avoid this fee, be sure to provide documentation at the time of check-in
- A mandatory $315 New Year's Eve Gala Dinner charge per person for those staying on December 31 will be collected on property
- Free WiFi
- Kids Club
With a stay at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge in Machu Picchu, you’ll be in the mountains and minutes from Temple of the Condor and Machu Picchu. This 4-star hotel is within close proximity of Huayna Picchu and Manuel Chavez Ballon Site Museum.
Make yourself at home in one of the 31 guestrooms featuring iPod docking stations and minibars. Complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and satellite programming is available for your entertainment. Private bathrooms with showers feature complimentary toiletries and hair dryers. Conveniences include phones, as well as safes and desks.
Make use of convenient amenities such as complimentary wireless Internet access, gift shops/newsstands, and tour/ticket assistance.
Satisfy your appetite at one of the hotel’s 2 restaurants. Quench your thirst with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge.
Featured amenities include dry cleaning/laundry services, multilingual staff, and luggage storage.
How to Get There
We stayed here for one night early this month. We were there early and they stored our luggage and we went to Machu Picchu. When we are back, our luggage in the room. The room is clean, spacious. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was buffet style where there was ample choice, hot food was made to order. Dinner was al la carte with good selection. We had fish and beef and were tasty. There is garden as well.
The location is perfect for visiting Machu Picchu, we got up early second day to climbing the mountain without taking bus and waiting on long time and getting up at 3AM. Highly recommended for 1-2 night stay for visiting Machu Picchu.
We spent a night here immediately after completing the Inca Trail. It could not have been a more ideal place to get a little TLC. We loved the hospitality of the staff most of all. Cheers to Antonio for leading a delightful pisco tasting at the bar and being a cheerful and friendly face throughout our visit. The massages were great. The restaurants were good although service was quite leisurely. The beds and showers were perfection. Just a lovely spot!
I do not usually write a review based on a one night stay but felt that this hotel deserved comment. Its location, at the entrance to Machu Picchu, makes it ideal for visiting the site. Reception always seemed to be crowded but somehow the staff still managed to provide excellent and swift service.
Bedroom and bathroom were fairly compact but comfortable and adequately furnished and we enjoyed a terrace adjacent to the gardens. WIFI was good and there were the usual amenities associated with a top class hotel.
We enjoyed dinner in the restaurant which had a varied menu. The food was excellent as was the service. At breakfast, there was a good selection of hot and cold dishes and we also partook of the substantial buffet lunch provided on the day that we departed.
Service throughout the hotel was exemplary and our only negative experience was that access by train and dedicated bus was rather tedious.
We stayed here for one night to visit Machu Picchu. The decor of the bard and main restaurant was of a high standard and design to give a relaxed 'lodge' feeling. However the staff and service delivered were befitting of a 5* Hotel. The size of our standard room was snug yet comfortable and provided all the usual facilities necessary for a short stay. The quality of food was also of a good standard. One benefit of staying in this hotel is the access to and from Machu Picchu ("MP"). While the hotel seemed exceptionally busy during MP visiting hours, it quickly became a haven after closing time. Its location opposite the ticketing entrance gate provides the opportunity to better time your visit and not queue for the transfer buses from the town below MP.
The best part of this hotel is the location which is right at the entrance to Machu Picchu. Most of the people leave the area and have to return down to the village while we were able to stay up on the mountain next to the entrance to the park. If you choose, you have the opportunity to see both the sunrise and sunset without many people.
They have a garden area where you can sit outside and enjoy the views.
The food is fine, but not great. The staff is friendly.
Rooms are small but comfortable! The hotel is very nice...more a 4 star property. What you are getting is the special location.