Belmond Sanctuary Lodge
What We Love
- The rate includes buffet breakfast, a la carte lunch and a la carte dinner
- Location next door to Machu Picchu makes visiting the heritage site a snap
- On-site hot tub has mountain views
- Innovative, gourmet Peruvian cuisine using home-grown produce
- Massages and yoga sessions help muscles relax post-hike
- The hotel stocks a telescope and digital binoculars for stargazers and birdwatchers
What To Know
- The Lodge is up the hill from Machu Picchu town and the Aguas Calientes train station, and is only accessible via public bus; there are no taxis going to the Machu Picchu complex
- Property is about 8,200 feet above sea level, so guests often feel effects of the high-altitude
- Only 2,500 people are allowed entrance to the Machu Picchu complex each day, so book tickets in advance; the Lodge can also arrange for guides
- Check-out time is 11 a.m., but a day room is available for those departing by a later train
- The daily buffet lunch at Tinkuy is open to non-guests and can fill up quickly with hungry park visitors
- Members will be charged a 18% IVA tax by the property upon check-in that is exempt to foreigners of Peru. To avoid this fee, be sure to provide documentation at the time of check-in
- A mandatory $315 New Year's Eve Gala Dinner charge per person for those staying on December 31 will be collected on property
- Free WiFi
- Kids Club
With a stay at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge in Machu Picchu, you’ll be in the mountains and minutes from Temple of the Condor and Machu Picchu. This 4-star hotel is within close proximity of Huayna Picchu and Manuel Chavez Ballon Site Museum.
Make yourself at home in one of the 31 guestrooms featuring iPod docking stations and minibars. Complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and satellite programming is available for your entertainment. Private bathrooms with showers feature complimentary toiletries and hair dryers. Conveniences include phones, as well as safes and desks.
Make use of convenient amenities such as complimentary wireless Internet access, gift shops/newsstands, and tour/ticket assistance.
Satisfy your appetite at one of the hotel’s 2 restaurants. Quench your thirst with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge.
Featured amenities include dry cleaning/laundry services, multilingual staff, and luggage storage.
How to Get There
Incredibly unique, this 5 star hotel is literally steps away from the entrance of Machu Picchu. It's the only hotel (and only business I believe) once you take the 20 minute bus ride (or 1 hour hike) up from Aqua Calientes. The food is great, the rooms are well appointed, and the interior garden courtyard is a lovely oasis. There are a few spa treatment areas outside that overlook the city of Machu Picchu! I feel lucky to have spent the night here!
This is such an excellent place - service and quality is over the top! It's very pricey, but worth it if you can afford it! We stayed here back in 1998 before it was Belmond, and were able to go into the Citadel before any other tourists arrived - this is no longer the case. Make sure you get entry to the Citadel at 6:00 am for the best experience.
Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights to visit Machu Picchu.
Situated right next to the ruins it is a magical place.
The hotel is great and the rooms are good. We stayed in a deluxe room with terrace that overlooked the mountains - what an experience!
The staff in the hotel and restaurant were extremely good - always friendly, always with a smile on their face and always making sure that the guests were happy and well looked after. The staff in the restaurant were extremely helpful and very knowledgable, especially Fatima, Guido and Jose. At the reception we were extremely well looked after throughout our stay by Erick T.
We have enjoyed our stay here immensely and also visiting Machu Picchu was a fantastic experience.