Deseo Hotel And Lounge
What We Love
- Sipping cocktails on the petite pool deck while watching black-and-white films and dancing to the DJ sets
- Cool in-room perks such as ambient background music you can turn on and off with the flick of a switch
- A stumble away from Playa’s bar-lined pedestrian street and pristine beach
What To Know
- The intimate hotel is right off Fifth Avenue, Playa’s busiest street — expect noise from the bars and clubs late into the night
- Leave the kids at home — Deseo is an adults-only (16+) hotel
- Breakfast served in the alfresco kitchen is not included in the room rate
- Adults Only
- Free WiFi
A barefoot-chic vibe complements minimal teal-on-white design at this intimate hotel. Set right off the bustling Fifth Avenue, which is lined with sidewalk cafés, bars and bric-a-brac shops, a backlit stone stairway marks the entrance to Deseo. Motel-style hallways lead to 15 guestrooms housed in a two-story building, which faces a petite pool deck lined with canopy daybeds and wooden loungers. Somatic neon lights illuminate the pool and live DJ set at night — a warm up to the parties just getting started on the streets below.
Bed and Bath
The intimate guestrooms keep up Deseo’s modern design, with cool marble floors, flowing white curtains, oversize teal throw pillows and blue backlit walls that add a splash of color. Minimally dressed beds have no headboards but face wall-mounted flat-screen TVs and floor-to-ceiling windows with views of downtown Playa. Although small, the rooms invite intimate lounging in seating areas with retro studio lamps and wooden panamericana chairs, and on small balconies strewn with white cotton hammocks. Bathrooms have glass-encased showers, dark wood cupboards and modern vessel sinks, and in some suites the bedroom area shares space with a curtain-enclosed clawfoot tub.
Deseo doesn’t have a restaurant, but its casual, blue-toned vintage Kitchen serves light breakfast fare. From 8 a.m. to noon, choose from chilaquiles, fresh fruit smoothies and frothy café con leche served in retro-style tin mugs. Head to one of their partner beach clubs (Canibal Royal or Indigo Beach), where Deseo will provide a ticket for a beach bed as long as you meet a minimum spend of 100 pesos (less than $8) per person. After bar-hopping along Playa’s happening party street, return to Deseo’s pool deck for black-and-white movies and live DJ sets.