The Chanler at Cliff Walk
What We Love
- A glass of spiced pear sparkling wine upon arrival, turndown chocolates each evening and free transportation service by Buick to local Newport attractions are included in the Jetsetter rate
- Sleeping in a truly elegant, restored and embellished 1873 mansion
- Twenty individually designed and antique-filled rooms
- Dramatic ocean views
What To Know
- In-room spa treatments are available
- All guestrooms are individually designed
- It's a popular wedding location
- The Cliff Walk Terrace is a seasonal restaurant
- READ MORE: 72 Hours in Block Island, RI
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
Newport has long been home to the gilded elite’s most extravagant summer mansions — and the Chanler is one of the most elegant. Built for an Astor and facing the crashing waves of the Atlantic, it exudes grandeur and privilege. Stately rooms, refined dining and exquisite views combine to make you feel like high society, at least for a night. Public spaces are opulently dressed with parquet floors, a huge crystal chandelier and carved marble fireplaces, while the 20 guestrooms are individually designed in different styles, with one-of-a-kind bedframes, antiques and elegant stone bathrooms (some with oversized Jacuzzi tubs). For additional privacy, there are also villa rooms in the garden and rooms overlooking the ocean. Gourmet meals are served in the grand dining room, more casual Veranda or alfresco Terrace during warmer months, and for alternative pampering, in-room spa treatments are available on request.
In the Area
While in residence, you can check out how the Chanlers’ neighbors lived by visiting other mansions such as the Breakers, the Vanderbilts’ 70-room palace. And better yet, you’ll be escorted around: The Chanler provides SUV transportation to all Newport sights. Or stroll along Cliff Walk and stop in when a mansion strikes your interest — then come home to your own. If you stay in the winter and can’t hit the courts, visit the International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum. Or go straight to the source for suds at Newport’s own Coastal Extreme Brewing Company, which offers tours and — more important — tastings.
How to Get There
I couldn't rave enough about The Chanler to family and friends! My suite was so beautiful and comfortable, and the housekeeping impeccable
The front staff was gracious and very accommodating during my entire stay of five nights in the Renaissance suite. The bartender - Robin was perfect, and made a martini to die for. The entire staff of the Chanler is friendly, helpful, and full of knowledge about the Chanler's history.
The dining was extraordinary in every way - from room service, to a casual lunch, to a dinner in the Cara. Baroness Mary Elizabeth Amidon deGournay Gurney Fiske
Cara, their restaurant, is worth the trip. The staff is amazing and go above and beyond. The view from restaurant is gorgeous, and in the warmer weather the patio outside is quite a treat as well for visitors.
This is a must, just walking along the the cliff. Yes it's safe. Fantastic stunning views. Any time of the day is worth it, but best at sun set or sun rise. This is a popular spot. Great spot for taking pictures.
This property has so much potential, but...no. Trust me. I really wanted to love it but this hotel doesn't live up to the hype. See below on how I came to this rating.
1. Location is great. All the reviews of the property being far away is silly. It's close to everything and it's along the Cliff Walk - great for a morning run. It's beautiful and the ground are amazing. I'm pretty sure I had the smallest room and I still loved it.
2. Housekeeping, front desk, and valet staff are wonderful. One of the cleanest properties I've stayed at.
3. My room was a 4 out of 5...and I'm picky. The decor isn't my style but it's done well.
4. The shower was amazing. 8 head shower...just like home...and heated tile floors. A+ on the bathrooms.
1. Stuffy and outdated...unless you like staying at your grandmother's house.
2. The food. I have never been at a restaurant and sent food back in my life. I ordered tortellini pasta with a bolognese sauce. The pasta was raw. I'm familiar with "al dente" but the tortellini was tough as rawhide.. It was obviously a pre-cooked/ frozen entree with a fresh sauce on top. You'd think a place like this would make their own pasta, or at least buy fresh pasta. Nope. I sent it back and got the same thing a second time. I gave up, went to my room, and ordered pizza.
2. The noise. You can hear cars speeding past the hotel - All. Night. Long.
3. The TMI/ neighbor factor. I will spare you the details but i know more that I want about the people above me and in the next room. :/ Maybe better insulation would help?
4.Can I say the food sucked again?
The Chanler was even better than the pictures. Food was incredible and the view was breathtaking. Our room was beautiful and I love how each room has a different look. I would reccommend this hotel to everyone. You can’t beat the location or the service