Excellence Playa Mujeres – Adults Only – All Inclusive
What We Love
- Two miles of white sand beach on one side, and a wetlands preserve on the other
- Some suites have rooftop terraces with private heated HydroSpa pools
- Free bicycle tours (and 14 other on site activities)
What To Know
- The beach gets its fair share of seaweed, which is cleaned up each morning
- Guests in building 7 can hear the nightly performances and watch them from their terraces—a plus or minus depending on your point of view
- The Playa Mujeres golf course is a few minutes ride, or a slightly longer walk, away
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Take nine all-inclusive restaurants (Agave for Mexican, Basmati for Indian, and The Lobster House for seafood, to name a third of the options.) Add 11 bars (including swim-up, pool, and disco). Throw in seven pools (four heated, five with whirlpools) and a full service Miilé spa. Multiply by 450 rooms and suites (some with rooftop terraces, balconies, and jacuzzis). The end result is an entire peninsula turned adult playground with the beautifully-designed resort at its heart.
In the Area
On the same peninsula as the resort—within walking distance—is the Playa Mujeres Golf Club, one of the top courses in Mexico. Nature-lovers will want to venture fifteen miles north of the property to Isla Contoy, a protected island that is a nature preserve, bird sanctuary, and nesting ground for endangered sea turtles. Guests can explore the Great Mayan Reef (also known as the Mesoamerican barrier reef) or hop the ferry to the floating fishing village of Isla Mujeres. But the most impressive excursion of all may be two hours south to the massive complex of Maya ruins at Chichén Itzá.
How to Get There
The room is very clean, and beautiful.Food is superb, staff is more than accomodating, and the views are more than beautiful. Truly a paradise on earth. The hotel provides you with as much activities as you would choose, or as little.
We visited Excellence Oyster Bay (EOB) last June for our 35th anniversary and submitted our review to TripAdvisor in August. You can read our review dated August 30, 2018 titled “Excellence Fails to Deliver”. In that review we expressed our frustration with the Excellence Resort brand involving our stay at EOB, a brand we have been visiting since its inception in the early 2000’s. We felt that Excellence completely botched the opening of EOB and that apparently management did not care. So, at the urging of the Excellence group management, we decided to give the Excellence group another chance and just returned from a stay at Excellence Playa Mujeres (EPM). EPM has always been one of our all-time favorite resorts and we have stayed there numerous times since its opening. Since 1983, we have stayed at all-inclusive resorts from Mexico to the Caribbean to Central America. After this most recent visit to EPM we have to say that the Excellence brand is still one of the top brands because of this resort. EPM is probably as close as you can get to the best of the best for adults only all-inclusive resorts.
Our stay was truly outstanding at EPM. The people make the difference at this resort. They really want you to have an outstanding vacation. They are friendly and helpful. The attitude starts at the top with the managers and customer service reps and goes all the way to the bartenders, wait staff, maids and groundskeepers. This visit has redeemed our faith in the Excellence brand and we will continue to spend our valuable vacation dollars with Excellence.
1. The People – you will feel pampered and if something goes wrong they will make every effort to fix it.
2. The Location/Beach – Playa Mujeres is extremely beautiful and the water has various shades of blue. The Beach is long and the sand is soft, perfect for long walks.
3. The Resort – The layout of EPM is just right. It is big but not too big. Although the resort was full we never felt overly crowded. The pool layouts allow for social time as well as private time.
4. The Rooms – We stayed in an Excellence Club Ocean Front Junior Suite. We have previously stayed in the Excellence Club Roof Top Terrance suites but we found the Junior Suite to be very comfortable. Our view was outstanding; the showers are large, with 2 shower heads and very good water pressure.
5. The Restaurants – We like all of the restaurants at this resort but our favorite is Spice, the Sushi is outstanding and all of the servers are fantastic. The food at every restaurant was delicious. Room service was always precisely at the promised time, something that doesn’t happen at other resorts.
6. The Entertainment – In addition to the standard evening shows, EPM had live music and dancing at the various bars which was something we haven’t seen at all resorts.
7. The Excellence Club – We always stay in Excellence Club rooms primarily because we like the Excellence Club pool and beach areas, however, decide for yourself if the extra cost is worth it. On the Excellence Club beach Cesar was fantastic and at the Excellence Club pool Erick will take care of all your requests.
1. We couldn’t stay longer…so sad.
This visit did redeem the Excellence brand in our minds. We were able to re-celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary and we did it in style. In our minds this is a truly outstanding resort and rises to the top of all the adult-only all-inclusive resorts. Now Excellence group needs to figure a way to bottle up the experience at this resort and transport it to EOB in Jamaica. However, for the time being you won’t regret staying at Excellence Playa Mujeres, a resort that truly deserves a five star rating.
We are just coming to the end of our stay at the hotel and it has been truly amazing by far the best holiday we have had. The hotel itself has it all from amazing choice of restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner...it’s own coffee shop which offers cakes, snacks, ice cream.
Hotel and areas surrounding are spotless. The staff are amazing so friendly and can’t do enough for you . We had breakfast most morning at the lobster house where Samantha, Francisco, Jorgie Antonio greeted us every morning with a warm smile and great service to start our day with.
Would like to mention a few very special people who made our stay even more memorable ... FUN TIME FRANKY who looked after us every day on the beach making sure we never had an empty glass, making us laugh and putting big smiles on our faces! 5 star service *****
Also EFRAIN from Basmati restaurant... We dined here twice and apart from the fact the food is outstanding, Efrain is amazing and has great knowledge of the food he was serving. He helped us with our choices but most of all just very warm and welcoming it’s as if we had known each other for years. A wonderful man *****
Finally, Nelson! He really is such a credit to EPM, he is perfect in his role as Guest Relation. He made us feel very special and always checking if there was anything we needed throughout our stay *****
The staff really do make EPM the best place to be and we do not want to go home!! Could add an extra couple of weeks on top of the two weeks we’ve just had!
Perfect holiday you won’t find another hotel in this area (or anywhere!!) as wonderful, warm and luxurious and as this one with this type of personal touch and service.
My wife and I had a great time in this hotel, the pools are great, the restaurants have delicious food and the staff as Allan and Jonny in the lobster house restaurant did their best to make our stay amazing!
Sergio at the Prelude bar 110% service all the time
Very personal and willing to put in the extra effort for the quality of a well made drink even when he is very busy.
The hotel accommodations and the food is not the greatest of quality but the staff do there very best at all times to make up for an aged Cancún resort.