Makanda by the Sea
What We Love
- Spectacular views of the rain forest and ocean
- Watching the wildlife from the neighboring national park — monkeys, iguanas, sloths — drop by
- Breakfast delivered straight to your room (plus, the restaurant is one of the best in town)
- READ MORE: Find your perfect Costa Rica vacation
What To Know
- The child-free policy makes it perfect for a romantic break or honeymoon
- The hotel has a strong commitment to sustainability, with waste reduction and recycling policies
- It's a fairly strenuous 20-minute walk through a jungle to the hotel's private beach
- Adults Only
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Perched in a rain forest high above the Pacific, Makanda by the Sea brings a contemporary feel and design-savvy touch to Costa Rica’s West coast. Eleven light-filled, spacious villas and slightly smaller studios all come with high ceilings, white walls, hand-crafted tile floors and teak furniture, along with iPod docks, cable TV and CD players. The kingsize canopy beds face sliding glass doors that lead to large terraces with stunning views and plenty of outdoor lounge space. They have fully equipped kitchenettes, but each morning breakfast is brought straight to your room (and included in the rate). Lunch and dinner — with a focus on the catch of the day, such as mahi mahi steaks and seafood risotto — are served at the poolside Sunspot Bar & Grill. There’s no spa, but you can indulge in an in-room massage or simply drift in the infinity pool, soak in the Jacuzzi or swing in a hammock and let the wildlife come to you.
In the Area
Costa Rica is a nature lover’s paradise, and diminutive Manuel Antonio National Park — a rain forest flanked by picture-perfect beaches — is nearby, so you can get there early to beat the crowds. It’s one of the easiest places in the country to spot wildlife, from somnolent sloths to scampering squirrel monkeys. Get some adrenaline-fueled action at ADR Adventure Park, rappelling and ziplining down waterfalls, or get a bird’s-eye view of the forest from the impressive canopy walkway at the Rainmaker Conservation Project. Hike, ride a horse or take to the water and try your hand at whitewater rafting, kayaking, surfing or paddleboarding.
How to Get There
Made reservation on expedia with wrong date,expedia was slow to act correcting the issue,Makanda management was super niiiice making the change AND got a free upgrade,the stay was nothing short of spectacular,excellent customer service,great food(breakfast was really good with multiple options),definitely coming back.thank you to the whole team
Makanda by the Sea was incredible! It was simply a dream come true. We stayed in one of the most beautiful villas we have ever stayed in. It was Villa #8. We had a gorgeous pool and an open floor plan that looked out to the ocean. We loved the staff, the service, the Spa and the pools were simply magical. We will always cherish our memories at Makanda and hope others can experience this little piece of paradise in Manual Antonio. Thank you everyone at Makanda for your kindness and hospitality! Pura Vida 💚
As we rounded the corner of the main road that leads to Makanda we would have never expected to come upon the treasure that we did. The front gate looks unassuming, but as you drive in, park, and are met by a member of the staff to show you around...wow. The rooms are simply gorgeous, the pools wonderful, but those views - they’re priceless. Sitting in one of the two pools you are surrounded by beauty. And when we were at the main pool around sunset we were greeted by a bunch of monkeys playing around in the trees and two sloths. The included breakfast was delicious, we even enjoyed the early breakfast at 615 (regular breakfast starts at 715). Whenever we needed something we simply dialed 311 and minutes later, the issue (requesting more towels) was addressed. We ventured down to the private beach and it was rustic beauty. I highly recommend this hotel! I’ll be back the next time I’m in Manuel Antonio!
We stayed in Makanda in July with my bf for romantic weekend and it was absolutely amazing time!! This hotel is a gem and so special corner of the Earth. Surrounded with beautiful forest, is full of wildlife. We saw sloths, toucans, 2 different types of monkeys and anteater. The hotel itself is piece of art- all details and materials are combined with nature and just stunning. Our room was spacious and with a great ocean view. Staff super friendly and professional. We loved every moment of our stay! Thanks Makanda!!
+ Beautiful grounds and view from room and pool
+ Got a free unrequested upgrade to ocean view room! - thanks!
+ Room was big, huge bathroom, gorgeous views to jungle/ocean
+ The girl in the breakfast restaurant was attentive and kind; the guy operating the golf cart was really attentive and sweet as well
· - Hotel rules optimize operation over experience: for example, beach towels need to be checked out and returned to reception (can't be picked by maid in room, $75USD charge for lost towels), breakfast closes at 9.30am, room service closes at 8.30pm - all of which is clarified upon check in, to avoid complains later, nonetheless
- Hotel staff was worst in all of our Costa Rica experience: for example, receptionist used lewd language to explain why towels need to be checked at reception and why they charge you $75USD if you lose one ("rich people don't give a f#$k, and lose them if we don't have a penalty) - sushi "chef" Roberth Vega was rude when requested to stop putting cheese cream in the roll, aloof towards the customers, and kept having a personal conversation with the barman while making the roll - he probably had the worst attitude we've encountered after hundreds of stays in resorts across the world... a new low for sure. Don't ask him for anything if you don't want to be given a sour face and annoyed attitude as a result
- The hotel has steep inclination from/to rooms and poo/restaurant, and the surface is slippery when wet. If you don't want to risk a fall, don't go in rainy season, call/wait for the golf cart (doesn't operate if raining when going to the beach, btw - because of the slippery surface), or go somewhere else
- Worst sushi roll ever tried: tasteless, ingredients pulled from fridge, huge amount of rice... if you've ever had a semi-ok sushi roll, prepare for disappointment or lower your expectations - it was also overpriced, by world standards...
- We do not recommend this hotel, especially not at the prices they charge - - - others reviewed the staff as awesome, we might be the most unlucky people on the planet, or the service is inconsistent... in whichever instance, bring low expectations, or at least know you might be rolling the dice.