Algodon Wine Estates & Champions Club
What We Love
- An oenophile’s paradise – a luxury Argentina estate with vineyards and a boutique wineryStaying at one of Frommer’s’ top vineyard inns in the world, with daily meals included
- Going for a wander around the 2,050 Sierra Pintada-view acres
- Touring the boutique winery, including the vineyard-view tasting room
- Taking a bath – wine glass in hand – within your Wine & Golf Lodge suite
What To Know
- Located about 10 miles outside of central San Rafael
- Complimentary onsite parking is available
- Free WiFi works well
Argentina takes its name from the Latin word for silver, but it could have just as easily been named for wine. Between its Malbecs, Cabernets and Chardonnays, this South American destination is an oenophile’s paradise – it’s one of the top five wine-producing nations in the world. Sample these varietal vinos at TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence-winning, Frommer’s-approved Algodon Wine Estates & Champions Club, which proudly turns out all of them (among others) at its vineyards and acclaimed boutique winery. Better yet, stay on the estate grounds, and be surrounded by world-class reds and whites, 24 hours a day.
Wine is always more fun as part of a pairing, so complement yours with another Algodon offering. Take your glass on a walk around the 2,050 San Rafael acres, for a spectacular side of Sierra Pintada views, or sip it in your luxurious suite or villa, while curled up by a wood-burning stove or fireplace. There’s also tennis on the sprawling Mendozan grounds, at the one hard, two grass and seven clay courts, plus golf at the championship course. And if you like your pairings more traditional, order up a seasonal, gourmet Argentine delicacy from the clay oven or broiling pit at Chez Gaston, Friday through Saturday.
Each suite is a spacious, elegantly decorated retreat. It features a selection of Algodon vinotherapy
Friday through Sunday, Chez Gaston Restaurant serves lunches and dinners of gourmet Argentine dishes, often fired in the clay oven or broiled in the flame pit, and always prepared from the most local and seasonal fruits and vegetables available. The rustic clubhouse’s setting is a 50-year-old antique olive grove, and you’ll enjoy pairing your food and Algodon wines with floor-to-ceiling vistas of the olive trees and vineyards.
You’ll get 2,050 gorgeous acres in the Mendoza countryside to yourself (well, basically), at this delightful vineyard inn, holding 10 tennis courts, a full championship golf course, vineyards and a boutique winery. The last, residing 2,625 feet above sea level, comprises an elaboration and conservation area, a wine cave and a tasting room and opens for customized tours and seminars. Venture out into surrounding San Rafael and greater Mendoza for walks through tree-lined boulevards, museum excursions, visits to the historic first settlement in the region and canoeing adventures on the Rio Atuel. Winter brings iconic skiing on the slopes of Las Leñas.
How to Get There
This is quite a unique hotel -just eight or nine rooms in the middle of vineyards, overlooking distant mountains. It was a pleasure to have breakfast in the park, to spend time (alone!) at the pool or to go running by the vineyards and the golf course.
What I liked:
- Privacy: Even with high occupancy, you hardly ever see other guests since the place is large but with just a few rooms
- Free espresso and snacks all day long
- Great park, vineyards, etc.
- Simple but nice room, with great beds
- Very attentive staff
- Decent wifi (considering it's in the middle of nowhere)
What I didn't like:
- Price: Over USD 180 per night for a standard double room
- Basic breakfast (reasonable considering the size of the hotel)
- Location: Wasn't an issue since I knew beforehand, but Algodon is ~25 min away from downtown San Rafael by car -however, it's very convenient to go to Atuel Canyon and other local attractions
If you're OK with the price, it's a great place to explore the area or to just relax by the pool and the vineyards.
I had the pleasure of staying at Algodon for 2 nights. From the moment I arrived I was warmly treated by the staff and escorted to my beautiful room. The entire estate is absolutely stunning with not only the winery but a beautiful golf course, tennis courts, horses, pool and much more. Every staff member went out of their way to make sure I felt at home. Every meal I had was cooked to perfection. The wine is amazing! I will definitely be recommending this place to every friend and family member I have! I can't wait to come back! They also have daily activities such as rafting, horseback riding, wine tasting...etc you can partake in that are wonderful and extremely affordable.
This is several levels above anything we experienced in Argentina. Its a wine estate, hotel, golf course and restaurant all in one. And its expanding and getting bigger.
The staff are attentive and it really is within a whisker of 5 stars. The rooms are amazing, facilities get top marks and restaurants tasting menu and wine selection would be hard to beat anywhere in the world.
So why not 5 stars? Well for the price (especially in Argrntinian terms) you'd expect it all to be perfect but they still had a few wee faults. For example drinks on display (whisky) not actually available. Just take the bottle down. Simple.