Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte
What We Love
- Daily breakfast is included in the Jetsetter rate
- The rooftop hydromassage pool overlooks the Versilia Coast and the Apuane Alps
- Impressive wine selection at the Piccolo Principe restaurant (the cellar stocks more than 400 bottles)
What To Know
- Free bicycle rentals are available for exploring the town, and beach access is steps away
- Reservations are required for the spa
- Valet parking is $23 to $39 per day, depending from the season
- Free WiFi
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
In the Tuscan beach resort of Viareggio, the Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte is a stately sleep with a 1920s façade. Right on the central promenade, it’s a short, sunny shlep from the beach, but you may choose to linger on the rooftop terrace, which has a hydromassage pool, marble fountains and sleek daybeds, and overlooks the Versilia Coast and the Apuane Alps. The elegant rooms are spread over five floors and are styled to reflect different eras, from Art Deco (parquet floors, midcentury furniture) to Colonial (safari-style canvas chairs, animal-print fabrics). Dine on fancy Tuscan fare at the hotel’s signature restaurant, Il Piccolo Principe (pair dishes with a glass of wine from the 400-label cellar) or enjoy a meal on the terrace at Regina. The spacious spa has a sauna, Turkish bath and fitness center, and offers holistic beauty treatments.
In the Area
There are plenty of Tuscan treasures within a 30-minute drive, including Pisa and the upscale beach resort of Forte dei Marmi. Lovely Lucca, a 15-minute drive away, is packed with handsome churches, majestic towers, outdoor cafés and cobblestone streets. The medieval walls surrounding the city are topped by a tree-lined pathway that’s ideal for strolling or cycling. Rummage for bargains at the Mall, a fashion outlet about an hour’s drive away. Update your wardrobe with pieces from Italian designers such as Bottega Veneta, Gucci and Roberto Cavalli, at savings of up to 70 percent. Florence can be reached in just over an hour.