Generator Hostel Dublin
What We Love
- Location in Dublin’s Smithfield Square area, next door to the Jameson distillery and within walking distance of all the central city sights
- Continental breakfast is served daily, and there’s a traditional Irish breakfast on weekends; all-day international favorites like burgers, pizza and wraps are available until 10 p.m.
- Splurge on a Premium Private Room for extras like an en suite bathroom with a power shower, desks and chairs, towels, toiletries, drink vouchers, snacks, bottled water and late checkout
What To Know
- Guests 18 and under must book a private room and need written permission from a parent or guardian to stay
- Towels are included in private twin rooms only
- If booking a shared room with friends, note that requests for the same room can be made in advance but are subject to availability and cannot be guaranteed
- Free WiFi
- There are private bathrooms on each floor, but only a handful are en suite
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
Opened in 2011 in Dublin’s ever-changing Smithfield Square district, the Generator Dublin is a hip hostel favorite with a buzzing bar scene and private and shared room options. True to the Generator philosophy, the guestrooms are big on style but easy on the wallet, all decked out with custom Queen or bunkbeds, original murals on the walls and lockable storage units. Shared rooms accommodate five, six or eight people, and some are available for women only. There’s also a Ladies Jacuzzi Suite —good for bachelorette parties with an en suite bathroom, a chill-out area, dressing tables, full-length mirrors and 10 beds. There are also simple single or double private rooms with en suite baths. Downstairs, the public spaces are designed with the hostel community in mind, from the bar, with its huge Jameson bottle chandelier to a designer lounge area that’s decked out with leather sofas and Tom Dixon stools. A light continental breakfast is served each weekday morning from 8 a.m. to noon, while a traditional Irish spread is available on weekends. There’s also an all-day menu of local and international favorites that’s available from noon to 10 p.m., as well as frequent live music and DJ events.
In the Area
The Jameson distillery is next door, and it’s an easy stroll to the city’s Cultural Quarter, where you’ll find museums including the Dublin Writers Museum, which offers peeks into the lives of Oscar Wilde and Samuel Beckett, among others, and the National Gallery of Ireland, home to large collections of Irish and European art. Also nearby is Grafton Street, famous for its high-end shops and entertaining buskers (Glen Hansard of Once was at one time among them). And Dublin’s famous Temple Bar, an institution since 1840, is within easy stumbling distance of the hostel.
How to Get There
The Generator staff and bedrooms were amazing, and really felt like you have your own privacy in your bunk. The bathroom could have been a bit cleaner but nothing terrible! The facilities downstairs are great such as the bar and restaurant! Breakfast was disappointing but there is a couple of shops over the road if you wanted something different! Location was great but maybe a little dodgy at night as it isnt surrounded by main streets and is a little out of the way..
Great staff great location and comfortable room. I would defo recommend this hostel to single person groups and family has great get hotel vibe with a lot of friendly staff. I vividly my son every week and I makes the trip so much easier. Speedy check in online and great price all year round
Not book in this hostels is only ready for party visits, it´s a terrible place if you are not traveling to Dublin to get drunk in the night and sleep your hangover during the day. They don´t have even control about the people who come inside the hostel and the bedrroms, because when I wake up after my short time I could sleep i copuld see that I share the room with more men than beds, they were sharing beds, what it means, they don´t pay only pass with friends, the same men that came inside the room laughing and talking when at 7 am deicide to finish the party.