Mai Holiday By Mai Khao Lak
What We Love
- A tranquil beachside stay at a brand-new adults-only resort, with food, beverage and spa discountsTaking a lazy swim through the lagoon-like free-form pool
- Savoring a breathtaking sunset and a glass of wine at the rooftop restaurant
- Ordering drinks right on the sand, thanks to the beach-butler service
What To Know
- Free WiFi is weak and patchy
- The hotel runs a free daily shuttle into central Khao Lak
- Go for pool access rooms or upgrade to a superior beachfront villa which comes with its own private pool
Romance is the name of the game at Mai Holiday By Mai Khao Lak, and this luxurious getaway offers the perfect setting for an enchanting escape. Located on the west coast of the Malay Peninsula, this tranquil resort is set amid lush foliage and overlooks a pristine stretch of sand. The property itself features a lagoon-like pool that meanders around the grounds, surrounded by clusters of chic guest rooms. Most importantly, the resort is adults-only, so you know you’re in for an intimate and exotic stay.
You’ll have plenty to keep you busy at this picturesque paradise. You can start your day with breakfast taken in the privacy of your own room, before heading to the large, free-form pool, where separate seating areas allow for a more intimate dip. Of course, there are tons of activities you can arrange for, such as tours of the area, authentic massage treatments or diving and watersports. Meanwhile, the rooftop restaurant provides the perfect spot for a meal at sunset, and, with beach butlers offering a menu of delicious cocktails, lounging on the sand has never felt so good.
The luxurious Deluxe suites offer plenty of space to kick back and relax. Large windows provide views of the lagoon and bring in plenty of natural light, while cool blue hues complement natural wooden tones to create a soothing atmosphere. The suites are so spacious that there’s room for a walk-in closet, a lounge with an extendable sofa and a large bathroom with a separate tub and shower.
Dine at the rooftop restaurant and bar, where you can enjoy panoramic views of the Andaman Sea. Offering international cuisine and a variety of Thai flavors, this gourmet eatery is the perfect place to spend a romantic evening. If that’s not intimate enough for you, plan a private dinner on the beach with help from the staff. They’ll even craft a beautiful sand sculpture to make it a truly unforgettable experience.
Recharge your mind and body at Mind Romantic Spa. This nature-inspired sanctuary sets the mood with water features and rainforest views. Providing soothing, custom-tailored treatments, the expert therapists here will help you slip into vacation mode. If you want to stay active, there’s also an in-house gym, volleyball and tennis sessions, a yoga and boxing studio (we recommend the Thai Boxing class) and mountain bike rentals.
The secluded resort is located on a quiet stretch of sand in Khao Lak, on Thailand’s east coast. Surrounded by lush greenery, the beach is relatively untouched, with white sand and beautiful, clear waters. The concierge is on hand to help organize tours of the breathtaking natural landscapes surrounding the resort.
How to Get There
Khao lak is a beautiful bay with an idyllic beach in a very remote area. (We did not detect any apparent physical effect from the 2004 Tsunami at the resort). We arrived 2-3 weeks before the low season when the resort was due to close so the beach was almost deserted, which we liked. The resort is quite remote so we didn't find it easy to go out anywhere for tourists other than the resort, although we did get a tuk-tuk in the evening to The Waters hotel which has quite lively restaurants and some great shopping around it. Khao Lak village is quite quiet, although the hotel offers a free mini-bus transfer service to the village, and we spent a couple of very hot hours walking the length of it, saved only by air-conditioned mini-bus, supermarket and smoothie/cafe bar.
The Mai Khaolak resort is definitely 4*, not 5* partly because it obviously doesn't offer a full range of facilities but mainly because of lack of management and service (see below). It does have some wonderful features such as having luxurious and very clean pools and individual jacazzi directly outside the back of each room (in the rooms up the hill behind the reception area). The Menu restaurant has a great, authentic Thai menu.
Apart from the annoying fact that the reception building blocks the view from the rearside pools and rooms to the sea, the layout of the hotel is pretty good. Most other facilities are like a 5* and the poor young, inexperienced staff seem to be trying their best but the most glaringly obvious shortcoming of the hotel is lack of management, the result of which was:
- There were no senior staff per function and there was no one overseeing reception or catering staff properly which looked suspiciously like cost cutting/cost saving. There did not appear to be anyone in charge of running the hotel - no hotel manager! In fact it felt quite eerie and unnerving that the hotel appeared to be running autonomously.
- No one at the reception even welcomed us to the hotel for our 2 week stay. The most welcoming were the Tui animation team who by contrast were great and seemed to be the only friendly staff. With more investment the animation could be 5*.
- Occasionally the fire alarms would sound but no one seemed to acknowledge them. When asked we were horrified that the staff didn't seem to know or care about the alarms sounding at all!
- You were met with a foul smell of sewage every time on the wooden walkway over the pool to the Buffet restaurant.
- No one appeared to be in charge of restaurant service especially at the Buffet restaurant, so tables were not cleared or cleaned promptly.
- The room was not cleaned properly and the bedclothes weren't even changed after almost a week until we complained.
On the whole we still had a good stay although the excursions (highly recommend) were the most memorable part, but without addressing the shortcomings above we wouldn't consider going back to this hotel.
We had a great time at the resort, especially participating in the Muay Thai activities with Mr Ole. Mr Ole is very experienced and was really good with my children...We would love to spend more time with him and are appreciative for the opportunity we had.
We stayed during our honeymoon for 5 nights . We were upgraded to a fantastic room with our own private entrance to the pool .the manager of the adult wing was absolutely fantastic , she really made our honeymoon so perfect . The staff are brilliant and will go out of their way to be so helpful and kind . Thank you all so much for a fabulous stay . Absolutely very highly recommended.
Brian and Linda
We stayed here May 2019. What an exceptional hotel. The whole hotel is huge and so beautiful laid out. We had a ground floor apartment with a step in poor. The hotel is clean, and the pools are fantastic and big. The service of all the staff is incredible with good communication and pleasant mannerism.
The prices of drinks and food is excellent. However just a bit cheaper off the resort.
We had an incredible stay here for our honeymoon.
The air conditioning is excellent and really beneficial when returning to your room.
By far one of the best hotels I’ve stayed in for cleanliness, service and relaxation.
We came here for our honeymoon. The place is fantastic. Beautiful, well run without being anal and neurotic. The staff genuinely attentive and friendly. The only down side I feel I should mention is that half of the facilities are shut in the low season, and even those advertised as being available aren't in fact open when they state they should be. Also the food, while acceptable, isn't consistent or really as good as it really easily could be. To the point where we left the resort for food even though we were all inclusive. I might be being over critical as I've been a chef at a fairly high level for 20 years, but I feel that also lends some authority to my opinions in terms of service and food. But overall awesome