Surf And Sand Resort
What We Love
- The location: walking distance to all attractions and just steps to the sea
- Fresh from a $3 million revamp
- Casual vibe at Splashes on the Beach, the hotel’s seaside alfresco restaurant
What To Know
- A $15 daily resort fee covers everything from the fitness club to beach towels
- The hotel is 20 minutes from the Orange County airport
- Valet parking is available for an additional $30 per day
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Laguna Beach was the hangout for the hip Hollywood set of the 1950s. Now stylishly redone, Surf and Sand blends this Golden Age glamour with bungalow-style beach appeal. Right on 500 feet of Laguna Beach’s premier sandy beach, the hotel tumbles down a hill to the water. Sometimes described as its own sun-drenched village, Surf and Sand feels intimate and secluded despite its prime address in the center of town.
Bed and Bath
Private, oceanfront balconies grace all 167 guestrooms, which are divided between the spacious Tower block overlooking the beach; the Seaview wing, which has views of the lounger-dotted pool and the ocean beyond; and the Surfside section, just a beachball toss from the sand. Interiors capture the spirit of beach life in a palette of ocean-blue and white, bleached wood and plantation shutters, and an abundance of original artwork gives a nod to Laguna Beach’s artsy reputation. Spacious and simple bathrooms have separate tubs and showers, plus double vanities (in Tower Rooms) and luxe products by Philosophy.
Foodie favorite Splashes by the Sea serves fresh, summertime dishes such as sweet corn ravioli, diver scallops and asparagus risotto with mascarpone against a sea-and-sunset backdrop, while the lively bar hosts a local crowd and a Sunset Happy Hour (try the handcrafted Tropical Mist). For a different sort of pampering, head to the Aquaterra Spa and indulge in a full body revival with the Summer Berry Bliss, a homemade treatment that includes a strawberry sugar scrub, an oatmeal wrap, a massage and an aloe berry eye treatment. The huge fitness center encourages cardio effort, as does mingling with the beautiful crowd at the cabana- and lounger-dotted beachside pool.
In the Area
Get in step with the beach town’s artistic vibe and hip village mood with a walk down Gallery Row. Here, ateliers and galleries abound (contemporary gallery Peter Blake is a favorite), and the first Thursday of the month is reserved for the festive Art Walk, when the galleries stay open late. Cafés, restaurants and bars dot this walkable city — don’t miss the lobster truffle risotto and a sweet cocktail on the rooftop of K’ya Bistro Bar. Bibliophiles will want to linger at old-school bookstore Laguna Beach Books, while more adventurous types can go in search of whales (in season) and dolphins from a high-tech catamaran with Capt. Dave’s Whale and Dolphin Safari. For an easy daytrip, take a drive to Crystal Cove State Park, the quintessential California beach adventure, with crashing waves, three miles of beach and 2,500 acres of backcountry.
How to Get There
Last minute stay in Laguna. Could not have been more enjoyable. Will definitely be back to stay longer. First class all the way. Enjoyed the bar, restaurant and perfect location. All staff were very attentive and professional.
My husband and I arrived about 2 PM on June 14th after a long travel time. The lady at front desk told us that our room is not ready and their check in time is 4 PM. She said that we will get a text when our room is ready. We had lunch and Checked twice till 4 PM. Room was not ready. She said we had a large group and they have not left yet. That was not my problem. Supervisor gave us a key to resort room about 4:30. We carry the luggage and the key was not working. Housekeeping told us that this room is not ready. We went to lobby again and the supervisor gave us another key. She assure us this key should work. Again the KEY did not open the room door. We were finally able to get to the room and unpack about 5:30. There were mold in the shower . Resturant hostess were good and professional.
Darcel single-handedly made our stay great! The true meaning of customer service! The hotel was so nice and on the water but the customer service will make me come back again! Ask for Darcel! And go to Splashes at least once for dinner or drinks !
I work really hard both at work and at home with the family and I rarely am able to take time off to relax. Surf and Sand offers a short local getaway that gives me the resort feel I am looking for and enables me to rejuvenate. The kids enjoyed themselves, my husband had a wonderful time, and I was able to simply relax without even going to the spa. The sound of the waves right outside my window, the smell of the salty air, and sunshine complimented the lovely room accommodations. Very nice!
We live in Palm Springs, CA and were looking forward to escaping the heat for a couple of nights so we decided to book a room at this hotel. I have lived in Southern California all of my life and grew up going to Laguna Beach often on the weekends and have always wanted to stay at this hotel and now I am really disappointed we did. The following are just a few of the issues we encountered while our stay at the Surf and Sand Hotel;
1. The reservation was under my husband’s name, he called the front desk and spoke to Barbara, a “manager” at the front desk to check if I could check in early since he was busy doing some business. He was told that there was not problem and if I went in early I would have a chance to get a “better” room.
2. When I arrived the hotel seemed dated and dirty.
3. When I checked in they gave me a room right in front of an elevator which is I knew was going to be very noisy through the day and night. I have suffered from insomnia and very sensitive to noise. When I arrived to the room it was very dated, dirty carpet, no air conditioner and smelled like a cheap motel room. I called the front desk to check if there was a different room that I could be moved to and sure enough I was told there was no rooms available. I then asked to be transferred to the front desk “manager” Barbara. I explained my situation to her about my insomnia and was given a sarcastic response “I could have someone bring over some ear plugs”. I sensed a in her voice that she was being unprofessional and sarcastic and when I confronted, she then tells me “I am doing you a favor by allowing you to check in without your husband (the name the reservation was under)” even thought my husband d called before hand and was told there would be no problem. This woman has no business being in a management position, she provides really poor customer service and is completely unprofessional. When I checked their website to see if there was any rooms available, it showed plenty of rooms available. I was told that I could cancel my reservation but they could not give me a refund since we booked through a third party; so we ended up staying there for one night.
4. I tried to make the best of the situation but once in the room I took off my shoes and could feel the carpet was sticky and dirty, I had to wear sandals while walking around our room. The sheets felt and smelled dirty. The bathroom smelled like mold and not very dirty, I was afraid to put my toothbrush on the counter.
5. I did not get any sleep, I could hear people coming and going from the elevator almost all night.
Laguna beach is a very beautiful spot here in Southern California, but for those who are thinking of staying at The Surf and Sand Hotel, I recommend you save your money and stay at one of the local cheap motels which are the same quality as this Hotel. I have stayed in many five star hotels and don’t mind paying the money but this hotel and its staff are not worth the $700.00 a night rate we payed and do not consider their service to be in the five star quality. If you are looking for other five start hotels, do your research because I know there are a few in the same area that will truly provide a five star experience.