Excelsior Hotel Ernst
What We Love
- A five-star stay with magnificent cathedral views, spa access and more - Christmas availabilityMagnificent views of the supersized Gothic extravaganza that is Cologne Cathedral
- The tinkling of piano keys and superb cigar selection at the mahogany-panelled Piano Bar
- Mouth-wateringly delicious East Asian cuisine at the Michelin-starred taku
- Enjoying a guilt-free drink from the complimentary minibar
What To Know
- Guestrooms have free minibars which include soft drinks, water, and beer
- The hotel is centrally located within walking distance of Cologne Cathedral and main train station
- Free WiFi
There’s no shortage of old-world glamour at this gracious five-star right in the very heart of Cologne – the art-rich German city that famously spans the River Rhine. Opened in 1863, it’s a bastion of style that has entertained many an illustrious guest over the years. And rather interestingly, it’s one of the last few luxury hotels on the planet that’s still family-owned.
The vibe in each of the rooms and suites is one of refined elegance. Expect opulent décor, marble-clad bathrooms with bathtubs, plush bathrobes and comfortable beds with a choice of pillow for the perfect nights’ sleep. Factor in flatscreen TVs, Wi-Fi and the complimentary use of a SuitePad tablet, and it’s easy to stay holed up here forever.
Elsewhere, you’ll find a well-equipped fitness centre, sauna and steam bath, and two superb restaurants – one of which is Michelin-starred and has won numerous awards for its authentic East Asian cuisine. There’s also a mahogany-panelled Piano Bar complete with 1940 Steinway piano and humidor of cigars, as well as a lovely drawing room for blow-the-diet afternoon teas.
Good to know
Please note that a city tax of 5% of the total price is payable at the hotel upon check-out.
How to Get There
We stated two nights in Excelsior Hotel Ernst, the hotel is a bit old fashioned even the newly decorated rooms but the service was excellent and can only be recommended! It is just across the road from the Kölner Dom and have easy access to all the city center
Can't go wrong with this spot. Near everything but quiet and special. Even though our room had full view of cathedral and the busy square, the soundproofing was excellent. Breakfast is extensive and great, and quality of dinner is outstanding and reasonable.
We stayed at the hotel at the end of June, unfortunately for only one night, an amazing hotel, the best location in front of the cathedral and the city center, very high standard service, courteous attitude of all the staff, upgraded us to an amazing a new suite, Great breakfast, no words just amazing, we will be back soon