Room Mate Grace Boutique Hotel
What We Love
- Location on 45th Street near Sixth Avenue, a prime patch for sightseers who enjoy being in the middle of the action
- A pool, pool bar, gym and sauna
- Just 139 rooms, but myriad room configurations, including petite pads for one, exec-friendly suites and options for up to four guests
- The guestrooms, though on the small side, are stylishly done up
- Free WiFi
What To Know
- The hotel is currently undergoing renovations to the upper floors
- Triple and quad rooms are on the small side and accommodate guests in custom bunk beds — so know, or expect to know, your roommates well!
- The breakfast buffet is available until noon and approximately $15 per person
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
In the heart of Times Square, on 45th Street near Sixth Avenue, the Gotham outpost of the Madrid-based Room Mate chain is in a plum spot for exploring the best of movie-set New York. The hotel’s namesake “Grace” is your fictional friend in NYC, who makes you feel at home while giving you the keys to the city. All 139 guestrooms are done up in loud, colorful wallpaper, comfy beds dressed with Egyptian cotton linens, abundant closet space and mod cons like free WiFi and flat-screen LCD TVs. Light sleepers should opt for a room on a high floor, while groups can request the small but cleverly laid out triple or quad rooms, which feature custom bunk beds. Room Mate Grace is much more than her sleeping quarters, however. The hotel’s most famous feature is front and center in the entrance: a clubby, aquarium-like swimming pool that’s on show to everyone in the lobby and the blond-wood paneled bar. Join the young crowd here until the early hours, then hit the continental breakfast buffet late (it’s open until noon) or work off any overindulgence in the gym before hitting the busy New York streets just outside.
In the Area
It wouldn’t be a trip to Times Square without a Broadway show. Score same-day discount tickets a few blocks away at the TKTS booth. Afterward, catch a casual izakaya meal alongside in-the-know locals at the subterranean Sake Bar Hagi. Revel in the Old New York glamour of Grand Central Terminal over martinis at the speakeasy-style Campbell Apartment bar or dinner at the Grand Central Oyster Bar. Bryant Park, a short walk from the hotel, offers some welcome green space in the middle of Midtown. Depending on the time of year, you can ice-skate, catch an alfresco movie or challenge a local to chess or petanque.
How to Get There
Stayed here for an anniversary weekend. Located right in time square and close to lots of attractions. The hotel has an indoor swimming pool. Unusual for NYC. The rooms are not big but the space is utilized very well. The included breakfast includes hot items as well as pastry’s, cereals
And fruit. Must better selection than I expected for an included breakfast.
What a cute little boutique hotel. Greeted by a very friendly doorman when we pulled up. Front desk staff very helpful. The room is very small but it’s only the 2 of is so not a big issue. Platform bed abuts up to the wall someone does need to crawl across the bed to get in. Bathroom very modern with lack subway tile in the very large shower with a rainfall shower head. Hard to get hot water though. Not as hot as I would have liked.
Room is clean. Simple amenities like soap and shampoo. Is a hair dryer in the room too. One sink and water temp inconsistent but I finally figured out how to make it work (don’t put hot on all the way).
Great location just 1 block off Times Square. We were on 4th floor and it was so quiet I was surprised. Clean hotel.
If you want no frills and locAtion this is a good place to stay.
We have just returned from a 5 night stay and can honestly say we couldnt fault it , what a fabulous hotel it was we had a room on tne 16th floor which was big enough for us a lovely walk in shower with plenty of products supplied, bed was up a bit of the floor but accessible enough, there us a safe in the room foc to use and the breakfast was a real surprise I was expecting a basic continental but it had a few added bonus of bacon ,sausage patties and the most wonderful scrambled eggs plus cooked meats cheeses cakes buns etc and fruit and cereal . Location is just a couple of minutes walk to Times Square and Broadway theatres approx 5 to 10 mins making this just a perfect ideal hotel with very informative and helpful pleasant staff ...would definitely recommend and return
I do so wish there were a 4.5 overall rating, perfect for Room Mate Grace, which is mostly terrific, with just details here and there amiss.
* Excellent, caring evening staff. Juliana rocks with tips for - well - for life. Juliana said go to the High Line downtown via the green line, get off at 14th, then walk back north in the park, treading atop Chelsea. Voila! A perfect morning. The next (hot) day, she said, go up 5th and hang a left into Central Park, walking uptown in the shade past the Loeb Boathouse and beyond. Another hit. Frankie recommended rambling among Hell's Kitchen restaurants three-ish blocks directly west. Perfect. Excellent sushi just across the street from hotel, said Juliana. Quite right! Honestly, I wish the two of them would just plan my whole life from now on.
* The bright, white-tiled, spotless shower is huge, especially by European standards. In Verona, Italy, for example, a shower this size would be called an adjunct room and cost 40 euros additional. Plus tax. Just saying.
*Cleverly packaged bath products; fluffy towels
*My queen bed was entirely surrounded by a cushioned platform; terrific news if you often bang your head on bed-side tables.Good enough news if poofy shelving pleases your DIY soul. Fewer bruises. Regardless, unique.
*The breakfast buffet surprises. Brie, sourdough rolls, meats, fresh fruit, cappuccino, espresso... up to international standards.
*Excellent lighting in rooms
* A pluperfect location, a 2-minute shove to the Broadway TKTS booth, and next door to the Barrymore theatre.
The rough spots: General tiredness in common areas. Wall paper beaten ragged by ill-driven suitcases, unfortunate elevator hygiene, and the lobby, bar, and hallways are black and white striped, giving the feeling that, for all the world, you're trapped in a Henri Bendel bag.The pool, sauna, exercise area is clean, yet you swim in what is essentially a human aquarium where passers-by can observe you through the glass, like otters or clown fish.
It's a good spot. I'll return with family.
This is a small hotel right in the middle of times square, walking distance to restaurants and theater. We used Lyft to go to all attractions, Stature of Liberty, The Met, 911 Museum and it was very cheap. The staff is so helpful and if you book early, you get a discount. We did order the breakfast ($15.00 extra per person), not very good but just needed quick breakfast before our journeys so it worked perfect. When we return to NY we will stay there again.