The Whiteface Lodge
What We Love
- Jetsetter rate includes daily continental breakfast
- More than 6 million acres of wilderness in the surrounding Adirondack Park (it's larger than Vermont, not to mention the Grand Canyon, Great Smoky, Glacier, Yellowstone or Yosemite national parks)
- The tunnel connecting the main building to the pools and hot tubs
- Even the smallest suites have full kitchens and private patios
- There’s an ice cream parlor, movie theater and bowling alley on-site
- Lake Placid’s sporty pursuits are balanced by spa treatments such as the Lumberjack Man-Hands Soother
What To Know
- From Whiteface Lodge it’s a five-minute drive to the village of Lake Placid and about 30 minutes to Whiteface Mountain
- It was built in 2005, so despite many rustic touches it’s not as steeped in history as some nearby properties
- Kamp Kanu makes Whiteface Lodge a good choice for families, but there’s enough space for couples to find peace and privacy too
- Despite the abundance of nearby lakes, it’s not right on the water, and it’s near a busy road
- READ MORE: Find your perfect Upstate NY getaway?
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
Although originally built as an upscale campground, Whiteface Lodge in Lake Placid, New York, has all the swagger of a bachelor pad retreat. Think outdoor lean-tos with leather chairs, blankets, cigars, cognac and more than 25 single malt Scotches, and 30 acres of grounds dotted with pools and hot tubs. Staying here, a stone’s throw from the venues of the 1932 and 1980 Olympic Winter Games, is the ultimate winter getaway.
Bed and Bath
The lodge fulfills every city dweller’s fantasy about what a wilderness getaway should be. It’s the only all-suite property in the region; slate floors, cast iron fireplaces and alderwood cabinetry grace the sprawling suites, which range from 550 to 3,100 square feet. Even the smallest have full kitchens and patios, and the spacious bathrooms are done up with double vanities, jetted tubs or showers, and under-floor heating. There are antlers, Native American pillows and, of course, Adirondack chairs everywhere, all of it charming and tasteful enough to avoid being kitschy.
Even the most active athlete could spend weeks here without straying too far from the lodge itself, thanks to the snowshoe and cross-country ski trails right out the back door, the courts for basketball and tennis, and the ping-pong tables. For indoor pursuits, families can hit the game room for air hockey, pool and shuffleboard — not to mention the two-lane bowling alley. And then there’s the pure indulgence of the spa and the cozy restaurant Kanu, which has 28-foot ceilings and dishes like Boursin-stuffed figs or scallops with carrot-cumin butter.
In the Area
Drag yourself off the resort grounds and you’ll be rewarded with a spectrum of outdoor pursuits, from paddling on Lake Placid itself to flying down the Lake Placid Toboggan Chute at the Olympic venues. About 30 minutes away, Whiteface Mountain has 283 acres of terrain blanketed by either Mother Nature or snow machines, plus heart-stopping slides. Nordic skiers will find seemingly endless routes, including the legendary 37-mile Jack Rabbit Trail. Five minutes away in the village, the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery crafts some of the tastiest refreshments in the state, including Ubu Ale, a favorite of Bill Clinton’s.
How to Get There
This place is gorgeous. The rooms are amazing bed is comfy except for pillows. Beautiful fireplace and outside patio. Full kitchen two bathrooms with heated floors :) the pool is gorgeous with two hot tubs outside and one inside. Breathtaking . Walking around is beautiful too and firepits at night with smores. The ice cream bar was closed again :( has a movie theatre with popcorn and lots of games in the gameroom. Would definetly come back again and breakfast woah is to die for yum. Thanks again guys. Very happy and staff was great.
Stayed five nights at the lodge and it could not have been more beautiful and comfortable. Used the outdoor pool and jacuzzi several times, the fitness and game room and a spa visit. All staff was genuinely friendly and very helpful. The suite was amazing. Looking forward to go back soon.
Tim DiLeo with LastHoorah Resort Destinations is awesome to work with! Looking forward to working with him again! Whiteface Lodge is a wonderful getaway! The amenities are fabulous. The rooms are wonderful!