The Old Clare Hotel
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
A stay at The Old Clare Hotel places you in the heart of Chippendale, steps from University of Technology Sydney and close to Darling Harbour. This 5-star hotel is within close proximity of Circular Quay and Sydney Opera House.
Make yourself at home in one of the 62 air-conditioned rooms featuring minibars and flat-screen televisions. Complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and cable programming is available for your entertainment. Private bathrooms have rainfall showerheads and designer toiletries. Conveniences include safes and desks, as well as phones with free local calls.
Spa, Wellness & Premium Amenities
Enjoy recreational amenities such as an outdoor pool and a fitness center. This hotel also features complimentary wireless Internet access and concierge services.
Food & Drink
Grab a bite at one of the hotel’s 3 restaurants, or stay in and take advantage of 24-hour room service. Relax with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge or a poolside bar.
Business & Travel Amenities
Featured amenities include complimentary newspapers in the lobby, dry cleaning/laundry services, and a 24-hour front desk.
How to Get There
I honestly don’t understand what all the fuss is about given the positive reviews. I booked a 5-night stay at the Old Clare Hotel in Sydney to cap my two-week trip around Australia. I checked out after 2 nights. Realize that I’ve never checked out early from a hotel, this was a first for me. I was so unhappy / unimpressed that I decided to pack things mid stay and check in to another hotel.
1. The first day they didn’t even bother to clean my room. I would understand if I had the “do not disturb” sign hanging from my door but that was not the case. I was gone for a good 8 hours touring the city and was looking forward to coming back to a clean and made-up room but was surprised to see they didn’t come at all
2. No recognition of my SPG / Marriott status. I’m a platinum with SPG (or whatever the equivalent Marriott status is post merger). Typically when checking in to a property I get some recognition as well as an amenity such as free breakfast or bonus points. Got nothing. I asked the manager and at first he responded as if I was asking a nonsensical question but then he said I should have had a note in my room saying I was entitled to a free drink. While there was a note in my room there was no mention whatsoever of any free drink. Hmm, seems suspicious
3. Very noisy - the windows must have been single paned because I could hear a lot of street noise, I could practically make out the conversations from 3 floors above street level.
4. Construction on pool deck - I understand that renovations must happen but it’s November - almost summer time in Sydney. They should have completed this already in time for the shift in season. Plus I thought this was a relatively new hotel, why do they even have to do it in the first place?
5. Not such a great location - admittedly my fault but for someone coming to Sydney in holiday, spare yourself and just go to a CBD hotel, it might be less trendy / hipster / whatever the Old Clare is trying so hard to be, but it’s not worth it
6. Room was TINY. Oh yes, they had a Nespresso maker but didn’t even have basics such as enough drawers to unpack your clothes or a hair dryer (at least not one I could find). All those fancy pictures with the stand alone bathtubs - NOPE, guess that’s not something that comes with a standard room
Had a fun night out at The Old Clare. A friend of ours used to be a barman back in the day so we were keen to check out the old pub. It was pretty handy to Central Station and has Spice Alley on the door step so is a great place to stay if you just want to enjoy the local vibe. Room was great (although the toilet has a see through door...), spacious, light and a very comfortable bed.
I stayed at this hotel because it was close to Central Station (3 or so minutes walk from Railway Square) and I had to commute to the airport the next day.
The service was lovely and friendly. The staff were very accommodating. The staff member explained the fit out to me.
The rooms had a very retro fit out with green carpet in the rooms, pink/black carpet in the hallway. I liked the nice added touches of the personalised note and the coffee pod machine etc. The bathroom however was very modern and I liked the added quality big bottles of body wash, shampoo, conditioner and moisturiser. The bed in the room was quite soft and the traffic noise from George Street and people staggering from the lift kept me awake. Avoid room 301.
I loved how there were so many amazing restaurant options virtually outside the hotel. I totally recommend Andiamo Trattoria, great food and service. There is also the Central Mall next door which has shopping, a Woolworths downstairs, a cinema upstairs and food options.
For a wedding present, our friends banded together and bought us a two-night stay at the Old Clare Hotel, conveniently located less than 10 minutes from our home. It was a great choice. The staff had set up beautiful personalised messages for us on the occasion of our honeymoon, and included complimentary bath bombs and flowers. The room itself (the Abercrombie Room) was exceptional, with one of the most comfy beds ever. The best thing about the Old Clare is that we felt like we were experiencing Sydney for the first time, even after living for decades just around the corner. I would highly recommend this property.
Clever refit of an old brewery. Good use of NYC style exposed brick but the colour palette did remind me of my old 70s school (green carpet etc). Definitely on the boutique side. Rooms were modern and comfortable. Bed OK. Bathtub excellent. Service quite good although we were woken at 5:30am by drilling which the staff didn't seem too worried about when we let them know. Said it was the NBN and they couldn't do anything about it. There's also quite a bit of traffic noise from the main road which is busy 24 hours. So not the best place if you want a long deep sleep. Was a good (not great) experience and will probably go back to staying in the Sheraton on the Park next time we stay in the CBD for a truly 5 star experience at a similar price to The Old Clare.