What We Love
- Views of Sydney Harbor from the higher floors
- The lobby and restaurant’s soaring 19th century arches
- A great location for the tourist trail (but easy to escape it too)
What To Know
- Valet parking costs approximately $40 per day
- Wi-Fi costs around $23 per 24-hour period
- There’s a fee for breakfast
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
This hotel combines a 19th century property (once the Treasury Building), and a 20-floor modern tower into one of Sydney’s swankest stays. Underneath soaring old arches sits a bar and lounge serving cocktails and high tea as well as Café Opera, a modern Australian restaurant. The 509 rooms are contemporary with a mocha and cream color palette, and marble bathrooms with tubs. Large windows (and window seats) make the most of the Sydney Harbor views. Odyssey Health Club includes an indoor pool, gym and sauna, as well as treatment rooms for reflexology, shiatsu and remedial massage.
In the Area
Central Sydney is well placed for tourist circuit highlights like the Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbor Bridge and the Royal Botanic Gardens. There’s also Circular Quay, where you’ll find the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia housed in a huge Art-Deco maritime building. Nearby is the historical Rocks neighborhood, where you can try to score a table at Neil Perry’s ever-popular Rockpool restaurant, which helped put modern Australian food on the map. The Rocks Market (weekends 10 am-5 pm) sells arts and crafts, jewelry, and more, while on Fridays you can fill up at a foodies market (10 am-4 pm).
How to Get There
This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel. You can't fault the location - it is within walking distance to Circular Quay and The Rocks.
My husband and I booked a suite, and the room had a fantastic view. It was located on a corner of the floor we were on. It was very spacious.
Unfortunately the room is showing signs of age. Wallpaper is peeling on the walls in the bathroom, and the paint is also starting to peel.
There was no bottle opener in the room and we had to request one twice (not a big deal but when they charge you $25 if it is missing - you want to make sure they are aware there wasn't one in the room to start with). We also had to ask twice for milk for the coffee machine.
We had a voucher for drinks at the bar but it was so busy there was nowhere to sit so we went out of the hotel instead. We only had breakfast in the hotel so aren't able to comment on dinner meals.
A bit disappointed with our stay this time - staff don't seem to be happy either.
First stayed here in 1997; lost count of the number of times I’ve been back. Great location, good service and unbeatable views :)
Easy walk to circular quay and the rocks, and amazing views of the harbour, opera house and bridge, depending on room selected. Early check-in available, which is great for an early arrival from Europe.
- Great location close to Opera House, ferries, The Rocks, The Botanical Garden etc.
- The Club Lounge has an awesome indoor and outdoor view of the areas mentioned above
- The Club Lounge offers hot canapés served to the table, a wide assortment of cocktails, wine and beers as well as a la cart dishes like eggs Benedict during breakfast hours
- The Club Lounge staff is very attentive!
- We had a nice corner room (2910) with great view of the botanical garden. The room did however had a mild unpleasant smell of mole throughout our stay. Wet clothes took ages to dry etc. Even putting the AC fan to full speed didn’t help. I am sure they would have let us change room if we would have asked, but you really don’t want to change room after unpacking all your stuff.
- The rooms will need a renovation in the coming years. See attached photo of a light switcher in our room.
- The Club Lounge only serves complimentary alcohol 17:00-19:00, which is unfortunately not on par with the best club lounges out there
- It should be made clear what is available complimentary upon request in the Club Lounge, e.g. fresh juices and eggs Benedict
- Sydney can be a warm city, and no bottled water is available at the front desk, by the concierge, by the bell boy etc. For environmental reasons I understood. They do however put two plastic bottles of water in every of their 500 rooms every day.
I would still conclude that this is a five star hotel, but agree with Forbes not rating this as five nor four stars on their scale.
So who should stay here? If you are looking for a state of the art lounge with awesome view this is the place!
After staying at the Fullerton Singapore the I had a lot to live up to. On most parts it did but at a cost. We upgraded to a harbour view and club access. Worth every penny. We saw all the cruise liners come in at 6am except ours!! We overslept. Not as luxurious as the Fullerton but neat and tidy. Step in bath shower but good shower. Rooms spacious. Service excellent especially the club and conceige. The club is on the top floor with fantastic views of Sydney. Good breakfast and food all day and relaxed happy two hours in the evening 5-7. Good gym which I used most days but we did not use the Poole. Excellent steak resturant downstairs with my fav ribeye on the bone. You need to book as very busy. Sydney is more hilly than I remember but downhill to circular quays and the ferries. Rocks close by. There is a lot of building work going on putting in tram lines which they dug up in the 50s!! Likely to affect hotel for some time as there is a dispute. So book Harbour or opera view room. You could still hear noise but did not affect us. Overall excellent hotel with happy team and well managed.
I had a group of 12 guests join me at the hotel for a 3 night post cruise stay.
I was very pleased with our stay. We all booked rooms that overlooked the gardens and harbor and were allowed us access to the 32nd floor private lounge.
It was FABULOUS!
We enjoyed the breakfast buffet and happy hour service each evening. The view was breathtaking. I highly recommend upgrading to include the lounge.
Check in and out was very easy. All staff were outstanding.
The only thing I would criticize is that the guest room decor needs updating. However, the bed was extremely comfortable and we enjoyed watching a firework display each evening from our room. Location was ideal.