Fraser Suites Sydney
What We Love
- Edgy architecture that has become a city favorite
- The spacious one and two-bedroom apartments
- The convenience of kitchen facilities
- A dramatic cantilevered indoor pool, plus spa tub, sauna and gym
What To Know
- There is no bar, restaurant or spa
- Breakfast isn’t inclusive
- There’s a charge of $32 per day for guest parking, which is also limited
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Foster + Partners created a contemporary architectural landmark with this sleek, double-towered building in Sydney’s tony Darling Harbour area. The hotel is located in the smaller 33-story tower overlooking St. Andrew’s Cathedral. Public areas include the lobby’s rainfall chandelier suspended from a silver leaf ceiling, and a cantilevered 164-foot pool over the triple-height entrance. The 201 guest rooms, ranging from studio suites to two-bedroom duplexes, have restrained, modern furnishings in browns and creams with pops of sunshine yellow. Most have minimal modern white kitchens with fridges, microwaves and laundry facilities. For those who don’t want to cook (you are on vacation), breakfast is served in a mezzanine lounge.
In the Area
Central Sydney is well placed for exploring Darling Harbour, a car-free zone lined with restaurants, bars, and stores. Other attractions include the city’s Sealife Aquarium, which recreates the Great Barrier Reef, as well as the Chinese Garden of Friendship – a good stop to escape the crowds — designed by Sydney’s sister city of Guangzhou. The area also neighbors Chinatown, another good spot for restaurants and gift shopping.
How to Get There
Had stayed here up to 3 years ago, when a good responsive GM was present.
What we found was shocking, even when no responses came, and issues built up. It seems nothing will be changing here...
Was to be a month's stay, but with a different person from Europe new to Fraser, as well as me, gathered the same views, and did not wish to continue the stay.
We sent a formal email of complaint and i met with the Operations Manager. Ultimately, there was so much, so many problems, not attended too, we gave formal notice of our leaving.
This meant being refunded, delays in the banks, and a huge over £4,400 amount taken from my credit card. Charges of 1.5% were added and have yet to be refunded.
This was done without my permission, not through a card terminal with PIN or signature. It was supposed to be a deposit only.
We found serious breaches of Health & Safety Regulations set clearly in Australia & NSW. Cleaning was in serious deficit, Maintenance inadequate & unresponsive. Ultimately, Management was not accountable or supervising department managers, and the whole place had serious deficits. If there was a City inspection for hygiene and cleaning, it would fail.
We stayed on the 39th Floor...
List of issues is best in these shocking circumstances:
- Payments for a full month stay were taken without permission, not through a PIN or
signature on arrival.
- Windows not sealed, so when rained heavily (typical for Sydney), found water pouring from seal of 2 windows onto carpet. They said it would not be attended too for at least a month, as was all over building side!
- Checking upper head height sills for leaking, discovered thick yellow grease and dust, which would not come off with hot water & a towel. They sent a person with a ladder next day to clean. Cleaning overall, Not monitored properly.
- Fridge was not serviced, frozen over, and was replaced after 4 days. This one only freezer part (small box) worked, so food was going off. Told them Friday when put in AM, and they came to see it, but left it over whole weekend. Nothing done, no action. Food went off about $180 worth. Sorted only after 5 days! A disgraceful attitude and lack of interest. i had A whole day wasted in attempts to have many issues fixed.
- Taps in Bathroom and kitchen, leaked water constantly from the base, Notified them, nothing done when we left. (almost 2 weeks)
- Pool area, i thought windows at side were frosted over. No. They had just not been cleaned in months in and out, which was above the centre below. Sides of the pool below windows, were thick with grit, and dust, ?? what else, also clearly not cleaned at all for months. You could not walk around the top and side of the pool there.
- Gym had thick dust on top of machines that was greasy and clearly not been cleaned
there. Carpet was buckled up in several places, plastic matt area dirty and dusty. This breaches Australian Health & Safety and hygiene regulations in the recreation areas. Both need to be closed for a deep clean and from then on kept clean and hygienic. Floor levels in a gym clearly need to be level and safe.
- The "Cleaning team" appeared to be located in the car park 2 floors underneath. A very degrading place, and shows much of the attitude and value towards them. this was also quite shocking to find.
- "Guests" appeared to feel it was ok to use the pool and go up in the lifts in their swimming gear, dropping water all in the corridor and lifts. One child was naked at the lift. Clearly inappropriate, clearly standards of decency, and appropriate behaviour for all guests and children is not cared about.This is a very serious issue in Australia at this current time as rightly, around The World.
Lifts with water inside are clearly a Safety Hazard.
- Lift handles inside of the 3 lifts, were all loose to the point of moving, shaking. More breaches of hotel regulations and show distinct lack of maintenance, Management.
- Only PC for printing out for whole block for guests ( Airline and other bookings /
check ins minimal use...) on 11th floor, that was not accessible for some reason, varying day by day. Useless for the most simple of uses. Old incompatible to the (Apple) Keyboard was filthy dirty, so deep could not clean it even with Alcogel.
Gave another dirty unchecked impression.
- Key cards would not work in lifts, or for Suite. I was onto my 10th one on the day of leaving. Access door to the city therefore remained blocked at times, causing delays to our day, work and appointments.
Sadly, the list goes on, and with no person taking overall charge here at this time, much is in serious breach, and deficit.
I maintain, that even in the most basic of hotels, or simplest least costly with basic facilities, should always be clean. They should be maintained to comply with Safety, and Health legal requirements, and their function.
This is all lacking at Fraser at this time. So many issues, so much lack of the basics, highlight a Crisis at this venue.
I wonder how Senior Management for Fraser Worldwide see how this compares to their other properties Worldwide.
Is this their Norm, or is this a one off?
Until such time, i would not book any of the Group locations, or choose to stay in such poor standards.
This is an urgent Management deficit that needs prompt addressing.
This hotel is in a great location with access to restaurants and cinemas from the back door. The staff were friendly and helpful and with parking underneath the building it makes a stay in the city easy. We have stayed before and were glad we chose this hotel again
The location is good - 5 minutes walk to Pitt Street, plenty of restaurant options nearby, close to Town Hall train station. The property is on the older side and is evident. No swimming towels provided - you have to bring your bath towel. One morning I was woken up by a really loud drilling noise at 7am - it was apparently from a power station next door - and it lasted for about 15 mins. But the room - I had a 1-bedroom apartment - was spacious and had everything I needed. The highlight though was the excellent staff and service - they responded very quickly and courteously to my requests. Would I go back again? Definitely - yes.
This is my second home when travelling to Sydney. I've stayed in almost every major hotel in the city and the only time I stay anywhere other that Fraser Suites is when there are no available rooms. The staff are incredible, attentive, accomodating and always friendly/positive. There are a few areas that are lacking, the in room dining is a little limited but there are plenty of options within walking distance and the staff allow delivery of food to your room from outside vendors. The breakfast is not up to my standard so I generally eat outside the hotel, I am incredibly picky with my food and coffee though so this is admittedly better than most hotels still. The gym and pool facilities are above and beyond anywhere else I have stayed in Australia.
Stayed at Fraser Suites foor a couple of nights for a mixed Business and pleasure trip. The location is perfect. You can easily walk to sp many different things and are able to find so many things super close to the Hotel. Staff were very helpful and efficient and the room was lovely. I had a view of the harbour and the city skyline.