Sule Shangri-La Yangon
What We Love
- Within walking distance of most of Yangon's top sights
- Exceptional service; the hotel is part of the Shangri-La chain
- Free sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi and gym open until midnight
- Breakfast is included in the Jetsetter rate for Traders Club Rooms only
What To Know
- A 10 percent service charge per night will be collected at the Jetsetter checkout
- Well suited to both business and leisure travelers; not much to do for children
- Located in central Yangon; about a 25-minute drive from Yangon Airport
- Renovations and upgrades ongoing until the end of 2013
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Classic luxury. The ground-floor Peacock Lounge sets the scene, with its high ceiling, gold and glass chandelier and high-backed “peacock” chairs. Colorful artwork inspired by the landscape and people of Myanmar is dotted throughout the hotel, adding panache to an otherwise conventional aesthetic.
Bed and Bath
The hotel’s 270 rooms (485 by 2014) feature heavy, dark wood furnishings and wall paneling offset by a luxurious cream and gold palette. Tasteful local artwork adorns the walls above the beds. Rooms have views of the bustling city, the Yangon River or the glittering Shwedagon Pagoda. Bathrooms are comfortably large, with powerful rain showers, and the Suites offer separate glass shower cubicles.
The Traders Café, an impressive modern eatery on the first floor, serves an “around the world” buffet of Asian, Indian, European and American favorites. The dessert and pastry station showcases Indian sweets and, for the adventurous, durian ice cream. For more formal dining, reserve a table at the hotel’s Cantonese Summer Palace restaurant for dim sum lunches and multicourse banquets. End the day over happy hour and a game of pool at the Gallery Bar (try the potent Mandalay Sour, the hotel’s signature tipple). The recently renovated health club spa has a gym, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room, which are all free to use and open until midnight.