Six Senses Kaplankaya
What We Love
- Walk-in closets in all rooms
- Weekly wellness talks
- Complimentary water sports at Taslik Koyu, the property’s private beach
- A 107,500-square foot spa with 40 treatment rooms
What To Know
- A Program Adviser will contact you two weeks prior to your arrival to fine-tune the details of your stay (spa treatments, outdoor excursions, etc.)
- The hotel is a 10-minute helicopter ride from the Milas-Bodrum airport
- Cell phone usage is restricted to your private room
- Each restaurant menu here displays complete nutritional information for all of its dishes
- Free WiFi
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
Therapeutic doesn’t begin to describe the restorative vibe at this seaside stunner, sleekly camouflaged into the rugged mountains of Turkey’s Turquoise Coast. This idyllic all-inclusive selected an unvarnished backdrop for its initial international outpost: Muğla, which some now consider a hushed and more exclusive alternative to Amalfi. Whether you choose from an array of curated “focused stays,” ranging from weight-loss packages to a four-day program aimed at aspiring non-smokers, or simply want to unplug, you’ll emerge decidedly detoxed. Start with a dip in the electric blue waters of the Aegean, followed up with a pampering, centuries-old herbal body treatment at the gargantuan spa (the brand’s signature basalt stone massage is also a worthy option), then tuck into freshly caught seafood and mezze at the poolside café, Wild Thyme. For total privacy, opt for one of the 49 “rooms on the ridge,” spread out across a maze of slopes laden with olive trees, all set above the main resort building.
In the Area
History junkies can delight in the fact that this resort is within driving distance of two ancient world gems, the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus and the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus—both claim Seven Wonders of the World status. Also close is the port city of Bodrum, a pretty mix of white stucco homes and bougainvillea vines and its star attraction, a 15th-century castle, which now houses the Museum of Underwater Archaeology. For those who want to stay closer to the emerald coves of Kaplankaya, there are a variety of customized guided hikes designed to fit different fitness levels, as well as windsurfing excursions—after all, you’re in the birthplace of seafaring civilization.
How to Get There
As I was saying there is a pipe on the beach nearby the one that you can see in the picture. This pipe is a dump and there were no streams or currents so if you went snorkeling you could find rubbish and algae. the water is probably polluted. A part from that the place is very nice and the service is ok. We had problems with the tv (not working) and the keys of the room (not working either). But the water was the worst
The hotel is very nice. The location is very nice. The sea is nice. BReakfast is outstanding.
BUT: obviously you cannot turn this place into an adult only hotel - it was tried and it did not work. So, you have to appreciate that this is a place where there will be families. THEREFORE, you have to arrange a bit more activities for the kids Although the people at the kids club were very nice and helpful, they only had very few resources and a very tiny kidsclub. And even more weirdly, the kids club ends all activities at around 1900 hours. This means that during the time you need the kids club the most (because this is when the beach time is over) you have no kids club. This, to us, was nonsense. Having a kids club or finding activities for the kids also helps to keep the atmosphere in the night (if the kids are in the kids club then you would not have all the bored kids at night time and walking around up and down because they are bored). We plan to come again but we will first check if the place has developed its kids club activities and facilities or not. If yes, we will visit again with other families as well. If not, we will probably stop by a few days or so and wont drag other families with us, because without a decent kidsclub life can be more difficult and the vacation is sometimes not a vacation for parents if they cannot even have a dinner on their own as the kids please themselves in the kids club. If this place had 1/3 of the kids clubfacilities MAxx ROyal has, we would visit this place much more frequently for sure.
2. I am happy to pay for the food as extra BUT in some places the food quality was not that good. YOu have to improve it. The breakfast,however, was the best ever.
3. We stayed in the family pool villas. I am not sure if I recommend it or not. The view is wonderful that is for sure. The ambiance was perfect as well. However, the shuttle system was extremely disappointing and slow (a couple of times we had to walk after waiting for 10-15 minutes under the sun) so if you will stay in the villas then you should either be prepared to walk or come at a not so busy time because in the peak periods the shuttles are not sufficient. So, I am not sure if it is worth the extra price or not.
4. The price they charge for alcohol was extremely expensive. I mean, I am not a heavy drinker but if my wife and I had drunk the things we drink at MaxxRoyal then we would have paid a huge amount of money in here. I think the alcohol prices need to be more reasonable. Otherwise,I think the prices for the extras were fine.
5. The staff was generally friendly and helpful.
DESPITE ALL OF THE ABOVE CRITICISMS; DO VISIT THIS PLACE BECAUSE THE AMBIENCE IS JUST PERFECT, THE BEACHES ARE PERFECT. ALSO MAKE SURE TO VISIT THE ITALIAN REST. IN THE NEXT BAY, THAT WAS ALSO WONDERFUL!
First things first we stayed at the hotel for a week at the end of October just before it was about to close for the winter - as such it is in this context that this review is written.
This was our first stay - but we have stayed many times at Zighy Bay in the same group (our favourite chill out family holiday location).
So on the plus side the food was great (at both restaurants), Spa is massive and great (a little lacking in character if I’m being critical - you could be anywhere in the world) and main hotel staff amazing (our waiter Yousaf was particularly helpful), the hotel is also in a great location.
We booked one excursion, a helicopter trip to Ephesus - which whilst as you would expect costly was brilliant - our pilot and guide could not have been better and made the day very special for us.
On the slightly disappointing side, the room we stayed in, a villa with private pool, was poorly designed. None of the outside pools are heated (so are pretty much unusable this time of year - fortunately the sea was a lot warmed and the 4 beaches to choose from great), so don’t bother getting a room with its own pool except in the height of summer - you wont use it. The room was meant to sleep three but the bed for the third person is upstairs in an awfully put together lounge area - my son hated it so much I ended up sleeping up there for most of the stay. The main bedroom was very cramped feeling and poorly laid out. The electronic keys kept on failing leading to many longish walks back to reception to get replacements.
On the extremely disappointing side was the water sports. The thing our 11 year old son was most looking forward to after many happy memories from Zighy Bay. These were a disaster -most of the experiences were not available. The person running them was always on her lunch break or about to go on her lunch break and we were made to feel utterly unwanted by her. On the three ocassions we traveled the not inconsiderable distance across to the water sport centre we twice found it unmanned (the lady had gone on her lunch break at 11.30am to return at 1pm) despite being told it would be available at reception. My son was very extremely disappointed - although I can only thank the staff from the nearby restaurant who helped sort out some equipment for him in the absence of the staff whose job it was. They actually phoned the lady who was meant to be there and she told them we would have to wait over an hour for her to finish her lunch break.
Overall not a bad hotel.
One massive warning - there is a very large amount of building work going on around the hotel as the resort is significantly expanded, which whilst not particularly intrusive may change the character of the place considerably in the future.
Let start with all the positive: the hotel is set in a beautiful environment and benefits from stunning installations. Never had I seen such an amazing spa and fitness centre in a hotel (and I have travelled extensively!). The seaviews are truly great and so the potential of this hotel is indisputable.
However, there are many small things that made us tick during our stay and we hope that the management will improve.
- First the rooms: we stayed in a villa with a private pool - while the villa itself was nice with unparalleled sea views, all the electrical system of the villa was malfunctioning. Perhaps it was just our room but I fear it’s just not aging properly. This meant malfunctioning window shades, outside lights, door key…
- The restaurants: we only went to breakfast and then had room-service in our villa. The breakfast was alright but the service was not very good: they seemed more afraid of their managers than really paying attention to the guests. I found it actually quite funny that I always was the one who had to move out of the way to let the waiters pass so I would not bump into them. Small things…
- The management: this is probably what bothered us the most. During our 4-night stay, there was a big storm. This caused the internet in the entire property to stop working. And it lasted for 2 days. This was very frustrating because we were mostly contained in our room because of the rain but could not do much without the internet. Anyway I don’t blame the hotel for this, I am sure they did their best to fix it as soon as they could. However they did not communicate once as to what they were actually doing or when it might go back. They did not even communicate when it came back on after 2 days. I think they could have organised for some sort of indoor activities to keep the guest occupied or at the very least apologised but they did absolutely nothing.
Overall we do not regret our stay, we were on vacation, we slept well, we were not unhappy... but I had in mind that 6-senses was a luxurious hotel brand and compared to other hotels of that kind I have stayed at, this was not the 5-star service I expected.
It supposed to be luxurious family vacation but it end up nothing near it. We paid more then we ever paid for a holiday and got no value for the money.
Initially we booked hotel for 7 nights and then extended out stay up to 10 nights.
We ordered pick up from the airport which cost around 100 Euros. It was on time, easy to find, clean. The road took us about an hour. Hotel is really in the middle of nowhere. It's location is not Bodrum. It took us 35 minutes by boat and another half an hour drive to get to Bodrum form the hotel.
We arrived around 3 p.m. Our room was not ready. We waited for an hour in the lobby. For some reason we had 2 reservations but guest relations manager (they are proud of providing this service which is of poor quality, unfortunately) assured us we could stay at the same room for the whole period. After an hour of waiting they offered us to "relax" in the other room. No luggage, no chance to take shower. They wasted our afternoon which we planned to spend by the pool.
There are few restaurants to eat. Breakfast was included and it's really good in terms of selection and quality. Lunch we are by the pool bar or restaurant. Not a single time we good a bill right. Either they put items we didn't order or forget to include what we had. Waiter pours you a glass of still water without asking. Then charges you for it. Twice we ordered one meal and got something completely different. Once I saw a waiter putting water from one half empty bottle to the other and then served in to the guest. Only good restaurant is an Italian place 5-7 minutes drive from hotel about which we learned accidently, not from guest relations manager.
There are 2 beaches which was dirty mainly because one is small and another one is tiny and it takes few days for water to clean naturally. An employee was cleaning it but not thoroughly and only from the shore.
Then on 7th day noon we got a call that we must vacate the room. It was booked for another guest and our “second booking” for 3 days were for another room. We were furious. Instead of enjoying afternoon we rushed to pack and unpack again. Nobody apologized for inconvenience until we went to complaint and they offer us vouchers for 2 free drinks. Really? A 5 star hotel couldn’t do better than this?
Guest relations were 2 gentlemen working in shifts. They were responsive but not helpful. Everything we asked for either took forever or was done wrong or both. For example, we asked to help us book a nice restaurant in the city centre of Bodrum, instead they booked Zuma which is 20 minutes drive from the centre. Later we learned from the other guests that they recommend it to everybody. Or we asked to give as flip flops of other size as the one we had in the room were 45 and mine is 37 and my husband is 41. They confirmed we have it but they were not in the room not this day nor the next one, even we reminded about our request. And we didn’t have many requests.
Rooms were nice. Cleaning didn’t clean the room twice though when we left in the morning we switch on “Please clean the room” sign. We came back in the afternoon and room was in the same condition we left it hours earlier.
We will never return there and can’t recommend it to anyone.