Honua Kai Resort & Spa
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
With a stay at Honua Kai Resort & Spa in Lahaina (Honokowai), you’ll be close to Black Rock and Kaanapali Beach. This 4-star condominium resort is within close proximity of Whalers Village Museum and Whalers Village.
Make yourself at home in one of the 628 air-conditioned rooms featuring kitchens with full-sized refrigerators/freezers and stovetops. Rooms have private furnished lanais. Wired and wireless Internet access is complimentary, and flat-screen televisions with cable programming provide entertainment. Private bathrooms have deep soaking bathtubs and complimentary toiletries.
Spa, Wellness & Premium Amenities
Relax at the full-service spa, where you can enjoy massages, body treatments, and facials. You’re sure to appreciate the recreational amenities, which include 4 outdoor swimming pools and a fitness center. This condominium resort also features complimentary wireless Internet access, wedding services, and tour/ticket assistance.
Food & Drink
Satisfy your appetite at the condominium resort’s restaurant, which features a bar. Dining is also available at a coffee shop/café. Quench your thirst with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge. Breakfast is available for a fee.
Business & Travel Amenities
Featured amenities include express check-in, dry cleaning/laundry services, and a 24-hour front desk. Free valet parking is available onsite.
How to Get There
Our family enjoyed 2 x 2 bedroom units for a week. They were amazing. Huge and luxurious. The resort itself was also amazing. Lush grounds, a great beach, dukes restaurant on site. This resort is luxury all the way. The location is also great. A short stroll to a supermarket, coffee shops, restaurants etc. The in unit kitchen is a full kitchen if you want to cook. Out unit had a huge corner balcony with dual fully opening doorways for a full ocean breeze effect. I’m not sure how anyone would find fault with this resort?
I've had several stays at Honua Kai and overall I recommend it, however there have been ups and downs, and at our most recent stay we had some pretty major problems.
- Family friendly resort. Good pools, lovely grounds, plenty of kid friendly activities
- Duke's is a solid go-to restaurant right there at the resort, and there are plenty of take-out options not too far way if you've rented a car
- Having a condo is great! Very handy having washer/dryer/dishwasher, a full kitchen, large lanai, and plenty of living space. Probably the main reason we still come
- Certain rooms have amazing views and are nice and close to the pool
- Features in the room such as having a DVD player and a central audio system are great.
- Konea 401 was a very nicely appointed unit, but had several minor issues and several major ones
- Minor issues are mainly caused by the age of the resort and how likely the maintenance team are to fix things, but some are caused by the owner, for example, the fridge on our lanai had been removed at some point (but you could still see it in the example photos)
- A major issue for us was the air conditioning system. There was visible black mold on all the registers in the unit, and it couldn't seem to get cold. When I looked at the intake, I realized that the air filter was caked in an unbelievable amount of dust, and likely hadn't been replaced. When I called for maintenance the guy who came out simply said "woah".
- Other minor issues - the grill on the lanai's starter was broken, and half the burners would sometimes not work. The ice maker stopped working for a couple of days and then started working again on its own. There was a decent amount of mildew in the showers.
- Not having daily housekeeping gets old pretty quickly, particularly with having to wash the beach towels regularly.
- Since previous stays there is now a major bird problem. If you leave your doors open, birds will come into your condo and help themselves to any food sitting out or crumbs on the floor. This was also particularly bad at Duke's - birds relentlessly took food directly out of our kids' hands.
- Just when you thought the construction was over - just kidding, they're building more stuff! Hope you like the sound of reversing construction vehicles all day.
- The beach has become a LOT more crowded with the new Westin construction next door. There used to be a bunch of shady trees you could go hang out at on the beach, but they've cleared the trees, and there are so many people now it's a competition for space.
- Our condo had its bug screens locked so guests couldn't use them. This meant we had to keep the doors shut at night to avoid bug bites (which meant we had to use the A/C that was blasted out black mold)
- It's a smoke free resort but other guests WILL smoke and it will go straight into your condo. Pretty obnoxious.
- I could've sworn there used to be carts to use for luggage, but there weren't any on our last trip which made it pretty tricky getting everything up to the room, and a lot of the rooms are a long walk from the elevator.
So why still 3 stars with all the issues? Our condo was very clean and well appointed, and for the front facing units (where noise from the construction is minimized), the view is great, the kids loved the pools, and having a condo is great, especially if going with extended family. That said, I'm not sure if we'll go back.
Great for a couples or family vacation. Gorgeous grounds and right on the beach. Great pool and restaurant right on beach. Went for our honeymoon and they upgraded our room at no cost and provided personalized labeled champagne- wonderful customer service!
You get what you pay for, the spa was overpriced and the cashier says “I’ve added 20% for your convenience” being a math major I did the calculation and it was 32% so I advised her and she said ooops.. the fine print says all fees paid, however your still paying report charges, and they also state a freshen up of your suite every other day, they do not do this service unless you pay an additional fee. The hard hat view is just as it’s stated, so if you don’t mind the smell of tractors, then go for it
Overall I thought this was a great resort. The grounds were great. Our Partial Ocean View room was great as well. Loved it! The only issue I had was some seemingly bad attitudes at the front desk. Wasn’t sure if everyone woke up on the wrong side of bed or what. It wasn’t all frowns though. But I did notice that. Other issue I had was that We left a photo there that we bought from our time on Pride of Maui (our fault) but feel that the Honua Kai cleaning staff could have showed some care and take the picture to the front desk and have them attempt to get it back to us. We called the resort and they said housekeeping must have thrown it away. Smh! This is why I gave 3 stars.