Vivanta by Taj Aurangabad
What We Love
- Enormous outdoor pool
- A gateway for visits to the Ajanta and Ellora caves
- Choice of two restaurants serving pan-Indian and Chinese cuisines
What To Know
- The Jiva Spa offers traditional aromatherapy treatments
- WiFi is an additional cost of $2 (plus tax) per day
- Aurangabad Airport is six miles away; transfers are available for $10 per person, each way
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
About 60 miles from the World Heritage Site of Ajanta, the Vivanta by Taj Aurangabad is a palatial retreat set on five acres of palm-studded gardens. The imposing white facade bears a striking resemblance to the nearby Bibi Ka Maqbara, a magnificent palace commissioned by the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb in the late 17th century. The 65 sleek and spacious rooms and suites are decorated in soothing cream and russet tones, with King beds, rain showers and well-stocked minibars. All come with private balconies overlooking the gardens or the pool area. Diners can choose between two restaurants: Latitude for pan-Indian cuisine or the Tea House for top-notch Chinese fare. After dinner, sip a vodka martini at the hotel’s buzzy bar, Tease, or soothe aching muscles with a traditional Indian aromatherapy massage at the uber-luxe Jiva Spa.
In the Area
One of the most treasured sites of ancient India, the Buddhist caves of Ajanta are about 60 miles from the hotel. Adorned with elaborate “temperas” (frescoes), these secluded caves date from the 2nd century BC to the 6th century. Official guides are available to show you around for about $10. About 60 miles from Ajanta, another World Heritage Site, the Ellora Caves, date from the 5th to the 10th century AD and are equally spectacular. And don’t miss Bibi Ka Maqbara in Aurangabad itself; this 17th century mausoleum rivals the Taj Mahal in its size, setting and breathtaking beauty.
How to Get There
Among the hotel’s staff are also students from the adjoining hotel management college. Their passion, interest and engagement is outstanding. An excellent base to explore the area. Enjoyed having tea on the balcony, the breakfast buffet is very comprehensive and staff will go to great length to fulfil your wishes.
This was a very comfortable hotel to spend 3 nights while visiting Ajanta and Ellora caves.
The rooms are very dated but clean and comfortable. The pool is great and the gym was quite good. The wifi was good too.
As mentioned in previous reviews the staff here are excellent and made our stay so enjoyable. Vikram and Manoj in the restaurant were very good as was Datta in the bar. In fact every one we met were so lovely and a credit to the hotel.
The standouts were Manaska who was just a great ambassador for the hotel by being friendly, helpful and chatty to us making us feel very welcome. The other standout was Reya who was a trainee from the college which I think is a fantastic idea to have them at the hotel. Reya was so lovely and made us feel very welcome too. I’m sure these fine 2 young people will succeed in their careers.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.
Difficult to write all the good things but i will describe a couple of incidents that were way beyond expectations.
1. we were on a road trip from Delhi (about 1300 Kilometer journey one way). As it can happen with such long trips either you reach extremely late or early. We reached extremely early and to be precise at 4 am in the morning. They were very generous and offered us fresh Tea and refreshments. We wanted to have a hot shower and leave for the temple and Ellora caves. Its a popular hotel and all rooms were full but they gave us the shower in the spa to use. We were travelling with a 1.5 year old who was cranky after a long day in the car and were able to get him some rest while we got ready for the day ahead. I have seen most other very famous hotels frown in such situations but these guys were too good. The reason i would call my trip a success was because oft the helpful nature of these guys.
2. My wife requested to check if they had a face wash as she had used that at some other Taj hotels and had forgotten to carry hers this time. They did not have it and offered to buy one for us and i declined as i felt we could do without it. Surprisingly enough next time my room was cleaned and i returned i found a pack of face wash that they had bought and kept for us. I will be honest i had not expected that and it was beyond the normal level of service.
There are many more things that can be mentioned and many names that i can write but i think that if i name people then i do not do justice to all the people who worked behind the scenes to make our stay such a pleasure. If i ever come back to Aurangabad there is no there place where i will stay.
This was our second visit to Aurangabad. We had wonderful time during our stay in Aurangabad. The room was very comfortable. Aurangabad is famous for Ajanta and Ellora caves. It is easy to approach these places from the hotel. The service was excellent. The food was also excellent. The Taj cake is one of the best I have ever tasted. The icing in the cake was The executive Chef prepared a special cake for us when we were leaving. We were very touched by this gesture. All in all a wonderful experience.
Awesome! Enjoyed my stay, hospitality was excellent. Room was very nice. Had a private balcony overlooking the court yard. What a view. Very quiet and enjoyable. Baggage handled by the bell man on time and friendly