Praia D’El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort
What We Love
- Buffet breakfast is included in the Jetsetter rate
- The clifftop location offers sweeping views of the Atlantic Ocean
- Step straight out the door onto the award-winning championship golf course
What To Know
- The weather can be bracing even in summer; bring layers
- You’ll need your own transport if you want to venture outside the resort
- Lisbon is about an hour's drive away
- The relaxed feel appeals to golfers and vacationers alike
- Free WiFi
- Golf Course
- Handicap Accessible
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Low-rise and sea-facing, the hotel makes the most of its stunning coastal location. With large picture windows in all the public areas framing views of the Atlantic, it creates the feeling that you’re on a non-moving ocean liner. The decor is smart and sophisticated without being overly memorable, although the Moorish-style courtyard entrance gives a passing nod to the country’s heritage. The superb links course is a golfer’s delight and is as challenging to play as it is spectacular to look at — think Scotland with sunshine.
Bed and Bath
Golf or Ocean View rooms all have floor-to-ceiling French windows and balconies to make the most of the vista. The bedrooms and bathrooms are spacious and clutter-free, and the one-size-fits-all concept — neutral decor, pullout sofabed, work desk — makes them suitable for golfing pals and busy executives as well as vacationers.
The star attraction is the championship golf course. Set in an expanse of pine forests and undulating dunes, the links course overlooks the Atlantic Ocean and the Berlenga Islands. There’s a golf academy on-site, and the main putting green is one of the biggest in Europe. Active types who aren’t into golf have access to indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, football facilities and a spa and gym. The Atlantico Grill is the hotel’s casual all-day dining facility, offering a range of Portuguese and international cuisine. For dinner, Romy serves a modern Mediterranean menu, while bar options include the Cliffs Bar, the Ocean Lounge and the summer-only Sharx Pool Bar.
How to Get There
Porter was great and immediately took care of the car. Reservation was for 2 queen beds but we wanted one king which we got after some work from the receptionist. Room was OK with a beautiful view of ocean. The staff makes the hotel 5 stars. Nice breakfast.
The exclusive stairs to the beach were helpful,
Spent five nights with family of four. Beautiful resort with very friendly staff. Lobby bar is a very charming place to linger.
Three major flaws unworthy of a five star place
1) buffet dinner: little variety, average quality, limited fresh food. The Italian night was a disgrace with pasta choice that could not be more boring. No freshly cooked meat or fish. Breakfast was good but offered the standard stuff only.
2) prices: one hour snooker for 15€ is not only ridiculous it also kills the atmosphere in the bar since people don’t wait but leave. Same for kicker at 0.50€
3) Atmosphere: it is not the staff but this place lacks atmosphere. It is sterile
This hotel would benefit from an owner-type manager who injects some adequate food and atmosphere.
We would not come back.
My husband and I recently became Silver Marriott members and completed 24 night stays in the last 3 months - we've been at this resort less than a day and it's by far the best welcome we've received to date! Ines and her team met us with the friendliest of greetings, addressed all our concerns with a smile, and did her best to honor our room request. She took it a step further when fresh fruit, chocolate, and water was sent to our room for turn down service. They got us a free shuttle to have dinner at a local restaurant while also providing a complimentary check-in beverage. It may not exceed others' expectations, but to us, it was the thought that counts more than the monetary value. It's almost like they live by the golden rule of taking care of people and a little kindness and sincerity goes a long way...especially in today's society where so much is commercialized. "Obrigado" (thank you) for your thoughtfulness and caring demeanor - we look forward to the next few days of our stay and know it will be amazing!