What We Love
- A secluded resort in the trees above North Lake Tahoe, with complimentary breakfast includedThe lodge's TripAdvisor ranking as the number-one hotel in Tahoe City
- Starting your day with complimentary breakfast, before your next adventure – perhaps a zip-line visit
- Opening your bedroom windows and breathing in that fine mountain air
- Getting in touch with your spiritual side with an outdoor yoga excursion or a spa treatment
What To Know
- Sits on 74 forested acres, just a mile from Tahoe City
- There's a high-ropes course, outdoor swimming pool, hot tub and tennis court
- Not wheelchair-accessible: There are no elevators and many stairs
Perched high above beautiful North Lake Tahoe, amid the trees at 6,350 feet, Granlibakken Tahoe offers quiet comfort in a pristine setting. This tranquil property rests on 74 secluded, wooded acres in a scenic mountain valley, and its simple, country-style lodgings let nature (including the occasional bear) do the talking. That’s only appropriate, of course – its name is a Norwegian word to describe a hill sheltered by trees.
Winner of a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence and that site’s top Tahoe City hotel ranking, this cozy lodge is an ideal retreat for lake-lovers and alpine enthusiasts alike. With year-round recreation and activities, the property offers countless ways to enjoy yourself. Take a dip in the outdoor hot tub, go on a nature hike, explore the mountain on skis, sweat out your cares in the sauna, and enjoy a restful night’s sleep after a day in the great outdoors. Then wake up, inhale the clear mountain air, and repeat.
Lodge bedrooms are spacious, quiet rooms on the outskirts of the resort. They feature remarkable treetop views, large bathrooms, and either a king, a queen or two double beds.
Granlibakken’s seasonally conscious breakfasts range between a hearty breakfast buffet, a made-to-order breakfast or a voucher at a local restaurant, depending on the time of year.Gran Spot, a new addition to Granlibakken, is the lodge’s coffee shop/café, serving gourmet Peerless coffee, snacks and a selection of alcoholic beverages on the weekends. It’s the perfect place to recharge after a day of recreation.
Granlibakken Spa is located amid nature, with rooms at the base of the Granlibakken Ski Hill, and views of the surrounding forest. Services include massages, facials and healing treatments.
Tucked high above the water in the high-elevation woodlands above North Lake Tahoe, the resort couldn’t occupy a prettier setting. Located less than a mile and a half from Tahoe City, Granlibakken Tahoe is the perfect jumping off point for a host of recreational activities, including biking, golf, sport fishing, yoga and more.
How to Get There
Our friends talked us in to the Granlibakken as they have been going for many years so we went up with a neighborhood of 5 different families. We all stayed in different accommodations (rooms, lodges, townhomes, etc).Overall, my family enjoyed our stay overall of the Granlibakken (sled hill, jacuzzi, breakfast, etc) but had some challenges. Joe at reservations/front desk is absolutely incredible. He is friendly, helpful and just overall made me feel like I mattered. The front desk check in was professional, friendly and seeing how hard they work digging the corporate van out with no complaints was incredible. My challenges were really with the townhouse we stayed in. We travel to Tahoe often with friends and for the price point, have had much nicer accommodations. My first challenge was that housekeeping was still cleaning the room on check in and it wasn't ready until 4:30. 4:00 pm is already a pretty late check in so the expectation is that the home would be in order by 4:00 pm. The townhome was clean but the overall maintenance on the property was hugely lacking. There were outlets that just didn't seem safe (ie; couldn't unplug a non working lamp, it was just stuck), the overhead lights in the living room made an odd hum and had difficulty shutting on and off. And there were lamps with burnt out light bulbs/not working. Also, the bunk beds in the loft have NO guardrails which is hugely unsafe for anyone so the top bunk was completely unusable. We didn't get clean pool towels for the second night. But the biggest issue of all was that the heating system in the home didn't work properly which is a terrible problem in cold weather. My family stayed in the downstairs room, which had snow piled right against the window and felt like an igloo. We struggled with getting the heater to work for hours on check in so called maintenance who confirmed that it was known that the heater in that room and the front room didn't work!! I was shocked that we were placed in a home that didn't have heat in 30 degree temps with snow piled up to the window!! So they brought a space heater but we worried about fires so didn't use it and we honestly froze both nights, with very little sleep. It wasn't comfortable, at all.
I really liked the property but I'm disappointed in the overall accommodations. Things like a working heater are a must in cold weather. With that said, the Granlibakken has amazing, caring employees and nice amenities. I hope I can convince my family to return for a second chance.
The resort is great, the room and service - not so much - they should only have cost a fraction of the $500/night price we paid.
- The room wasn't ready at checkin time (we arrived at 3:45pm), we had to wait until 4:30. No apologies from the front desk, they were mildly hospitable but nothing more.
- Although we mentioned 4 people in our reservation, the sofa bed (or our studio) wasn't made up. Also the sofa bed was not a normal bed. It have a huge heavy mattress that's 2/3 of a queen size. The other 1/3 of the mattress was on a shelf 8 feet up above the murphy bed. Not only extremely inconvenient, but also completely uncomfortable to sleep on (it was alright for kids though).
- We had to make two calls to the front desk to get sheets for the sofa bed.
- The decor was old, the bathroom fam shrieked like a banshee, the door know was loose and a bunch of other small items.
- It was a great place for the youngins to learn to ski. The had a blast.
- The on site restaurant was a nice place for a family meal, my wife enjoyed the spa.
- Do not book from any site other than the resort's own site. The front desk was clear that guests that reserved from the resort's sites got the better rooms while others got whatever's left (even though the price of the reservation might be identical identical).
We stayed in the lodge building in a studio. The unit we were in needs some attention and updating. It appears that they have dry wood termites in the couch as there was sawdust around the legs of the couch, a sure sign. Lots of areas of worn edges, touch up needed on paint. It was convenient to one of the venues we were attending. It was deep snow when we were there so perhaps signage to different areas of the resort were probably covered in snow. It was difficult to find one buiding that was a trek from our room. The resort is spread out. I understand that each unit is privately owned so as far as upgrades, it's a crap shoot.
I would think that guests should not have to pay for the sledding hill or the rope tow ski area, but they do, not expensive but should be included for the price paid. Breakfast is huge and included, some items are of the packaged Costco variety, but all in all, a nice perk.
We absolutely loved our stay at Granlibakken. The studio unit was huge. Plenty of room for me, my husband and baby. The convenience of having breakfast included and all of the amenities on site was great
I picked the Granlibakken for it's proximity to Homewood and Squaw/Alpine + the fact that it has it's own ski/sledding area. It's a few minutes from Tahoe City and lots of dining options.
It's a lovely gem, with decent breakfast in the mornings that fuel your day on the slopes. The staff is very warm and helpful. The rooms are a little dated but comfortable. We stayed in a Standard Queen Room which had plenty of space for the two of us. The one drawback is that it can get very loud - you can hear everything around you - so if you're a light sleeper or easily bothered by noise, this may not be the right place for you.
We really enjoyed our stay and will surely be back.