968 Park Hotel
What We Love
- Central South Lake Tahoe location, within walking distance of downtown
- Outdoor pool with custom-made cabanas, on-site spa and sauna
- Free wine tastings on Fridays from 6 to 8 p.m., WiFi and parking
- Live music every Friday and Saturday starting at 8 p.m.
What To Know
- The hotel was fully renovated in 2009
- Family-friendly, but also popular with young couples
- Close to the South Lake strip; sometimes attracts a party crowd
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
A short walk from all the South Lake Tahoe action, five minutes from the slopes of Heavenly Resort and a 10-minute walk from the casinos, 968 Park Hotel is within striking distance of something for everybody. Despite its central location, the 58-room hotel has an off-the-beaten-path vibe, perhaps thanks to its focus on eco-responsibility (the walls are insulated with recycled denim, ceiling fans cool the rooms, and the lobby couch is backed by decorations made from a fence that once surrounded the old inn’s pool). The guestrooms are low-key and intimate, with flat-screen TVs, iPod hookups and cable with HBO, so you can have your weekend away but not feel too guilty about your carbon footprint.
In the Area
Catch the Heavenly Gondola up for pristine pistes and stunning Tahoe vistas. Whether you’re snowshoeing, cross-country skiing or snowmobiling, there’s plenty of winter sporting fun to be had off-property in the surrounding Sierra Nevada mountains. When ski season ends, Adventure Peak (9,100 feet) picks up the action with a rock-climbing wall, restaurant and hiking trails galore. South Lake Tahoe is right by the Nevada border, where all the casinos are located. Harrah’s, 10 minutes down the road, is the largest, and it frequently hosts big name entertainers in its South Shore Room.