What We Love
- A half-board stay at an elegant base near the harbour of Vela LukaSampling the local delicacy of peka; slow-roasted meats prepared to perfection
- Opting to take a relaxing walk along the stunning private beach
- Forgetting all your worldly worries with an essential oil massage at the wellness centre
What To Know
- The hotel runs a shuttle boat to and from their beach (Azzurro—on the other side of the bay) every half-hour
- Relax between the hotel's two saunas, fitness center, and Kneipp (water therapy) pool
- Free WiFi
Dotting the southern Dalmatian coast, some of Croatia’s most decorous Adriatic islands invite you to slow right down – as much to take in their medieval towns, serene sandy coves and mouthwatering delicacies (like dry white Posip and makaruni pasta), as falling victim to their famously chilled-out vibe.
Swathed by fragrant olive groves and vineyards, one of the greenest and seductive Dalmatian isles is Korcula. On its western shores, in the pretty port town of Vela Luka, the four-star Hotel Korkyra oozes class and distinction. You’re perfectly set for an ultra-relaxing stay; from the sky-blue pool, private beach and upscale wellness centre, straight through to the chic restaurant and minimalist-inspired bar. All that this recently renovated hotel is lacking is a tanned, carefree and utterly laid-back you, quite frankly.
How to Get There
This was a lovely hotel, with a very warm and friendly welcome, by the two ladies on reception! They even upgraded our room, as it was my friends birthday. We wanted a nice little hideaway with a pool, to chill and relax for a couple of days. This is exactly what this was. The only small thing that wasn’t quite to our taste (literally), was the breakfast. This we felt needed some improving. Overall, great stay though! ????
Our family of 5 stayed here for 1 night. I read a handful of reviews so was prepared for the following (which are all true):
- only 1 pillow/person on the bed
- thin comforter
- a/c is unreliable
Here is how we remedied these issues:
- we asked for more pillows and they came right away
- it was very hot when we were there, so the thin comforter was plenty given the A/C wasn’t very strong
Other issues with the hotel:
- only 1 key per room! They absolutely would not budge on giving us additional keys. This was the most annoying part of our stay since we had 2 rooms that were quite far apart from each other.
- the breakfast buffet was extremely limited. There are items to order a la carte but we didn’t have time to wait for the kitchen. If we had known how limited the buffet was, we would have planned differently and arrived with more time to chose from the a la carte menu.
- there are no double lock on the room doors. This was concerning for us since our kids were in a room very far from us and we usually ask them to double lock their door at night.
We found the employees at the hotel to be pleasant and accommodating.
Pool: small but functional. The lounge chairs are hard plastic without any cushions, but there are more comfortable couches with cushions. Overall, there isn’t a big pool scene here and it’s meant for a quick dip. There are no snacks or food available at the pool, only drinks.
I find it hard to believe that this hotel meets the criteria for a 4 star hotel. I would think it is a 3 star.
Overall, we had a pleasant stay here.
1st thing we were told is do not drink the water at the hotel. One would think that the hotel would then provide bottled water but that was not the case. The towels were so thin I could not dry off. The beds were hard as rock. The linens scratchy. We were given 1 thin pillow each and 1 thin blanket. I froze. Breakfast had few choices but BEST thing was the freshly squeezed OJ. That brings this from a terrible review to a poor review.