Banyan Tree Samui
What We Love
- Direct pool access from all villas
- The resort’s fleet of golf buggies, which swiftly transport you across the large property
- Your private butler, who handles everything from locating misplaced key cards to securing beachfront dinner reservations
- In-villa dining, where a personal chef will fire up a private barbecue
What To Know
- The resort’s modern Thai restaurant is only open for dinner
- The hydrotherapy spa is the first of its kind in Koh Samui
- Your villa’s sprawling bathroom contains four rain-style showerheads
- The stilted dwellings here are a hat-tip to Thai architectural traditions
- Free WiFi
- Kids Club
Sprawled on a steep and hilly cove, this exclusive beachfront gem gracefully executes a near impossible balancing act: its 78 standalone villas, sunset-colored escapes, are consistent with Koh Samui’s well-manicured reputation, decked with mod cons like twin vanities, iPod docks, and private infinity pools. But it’s also an exquisite reflection of its Southeast Asian homeland, evident in the spice-and-herb fueled treatments at the spa, or memorable meals at Saffron, where the sweet and sour prawn curry (which the chef can heat up or down depending on where your tolerance fares on the Scoville scale) is accompanied by four types of traditional rice. And even though the family-friendly offerings are abundant here, ranging from an exceptionally curated kids’ club to a children’s-only pool, rest assured they don’t take away from the romance quotient, which you’ll discover in the moonlight seaside dinners your butler can engineer, the sunken daybeds on your private balcony, and your eucalyptus-scented refuge, thanks to a thoughtful turndown service that scents your room with a rotating selection of essential oils.
In the Area
Though the hotel’s private beach is a fantastic base for kayaking and paddle boarding—all equipment is complimentary—its pebbly waters mean that swimming isn’t ideal. Either claim one of the daybeds on the sand and settle for a succession of daytime cocktails, or hop on the free ten-minute shuttle to nearby Lamai Beach instead. Your butler can craft an itinerary that includes the temple of Wat Phra Yai, on the tiny island of Ko Phan, presided by a 39-foot golden Buddha statue, and Tarnim Magic Garden, a mesmerizing sculpture park atop Pom Mountain, one of Koh Samui’s loftiest peaks.
How to Get There
The stay at the Banyan Tree Samui was absolut perfect. The best Hotel we ever stay before. No wish were open. The Villa was absolut amazing. All People at the ressort was awsome. Everybody was able to helps you at any time.
Highly recommend this luxury resort for couples and families. We stay 5 days with a little child, and they have a very good facilities and playing club for kids, the beach is private, super clean and safe. Service of this hotel is excellent, very personalised and special. Everything is wonderful.
- Very friendly staff, well trained and patient to demanding guests... warm and welcoming environment throughout
- Stunning views from our villa and wealth of sunlight / privacy during the day (villa g10; great sunrises). Well maintained and clean; good layout and no issues with bugs
- Beach is rather small but clean and OK for lounging
- Spa / Saffron excellent, but as noted in other reviews, overpriced and hence low on value for money scale
- Breakfast good to descent, above average
- Major drawback was lack of adequate dining options within resort (beachside resto + room service was a huge disappointment for a brand of this stature... would not eat again). Resorts proximity to Chaweng / Lamai was essential for lunch & dinner but a major hastle for guests like us who preferred to stay within resort all day
You will need to dig deep to your pockets in order to book this place - but it’s worth every penny! Location is breathtaking, the services is the best we ever encounter - staff are accessible friendly and professional - every place we had was for filled, every small detail was being taken care of . Everybody is doing their best to make you feel welcome and it is and that’s what you want at your whole day just to sit back and relax and that’s we we got.
Banyan Tree was our home away from home. Our ocean view villa had a post box, balcony, sun deck, lounge room, luxury bedroom, walk-in closet, 2 TVs, warm plunge pool, huge deep bath, rain shower and a separate water closet. Our private pool was literally outside our bedroom which gave us immediate access to have rejuvenating early morning dip (while we appreciated the green eco-friendly surroundings). The service was impeccable. The staff addressed us as Mr & Mrs XYZ. Our villa host (Julie) made our stay worthwhile. I have no hesitation in recommending Banyan Tree to discerning holiday travellers with exquisite taste with deep pockets.