The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa
What We Love
- Buffet breakfast is included in the Jetsetter rate
- Floor-to-ceiling windows in all rooms with awesome Himalayan views
- Elegant afternoon tea lounge with a terrace and fire pits
- There's a dedicated Activity Concierge
What To Know
- WiFi is an additional cost of $12 per day
- It's a dry resort (none of the hotels in Gulmarg are permitted to serve alcohol)
- The Khyber Spa by L'Occitane opened in December 2013
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Spread across seven fir tree–studded acres, 8,825 feet above sea level, the Khyber Resort & Spa is a five-star retreat with majestic views of the Himalayas’ Affarwat peaks. Styled like a classic mountain lodge and kitted out with local pine and slate, the interiors bring the outdoors in. The 80 guestrooms are equipped for all seasons, with crackling fireplaces for cozy winter nights and floor-to-ceiling windows to take in the summer views of the lush Pir Panjal Valley. Kashmiri woven silk carpets, carved walnut paneled ceilings and embroidered throws decorate the rooms, and most bathrooms come with huge windows overlooking the grounds. Tuck into Kashmiri cuisine at Cloves or wood-fired BBQ dishes at Nouf, or indulge in a traditional afternoon tea at Chaikash, an elegant patisserie with a terrace complete with firepits. Depending on the season, you can hit the powdery pistes via the world’s highest ski lift (the Gulmarg Gondola) or trek the stunning mountain trails and follow up with a session at the L’Occitane spa, which offers Himalayan views from every treatment room.
In the Area
There’s a dedicated Activity Concierge at the resort to direct you to the area’s best ski runs. The Gulmarg Gondola (the world’s highest ski lift) is on the doorstep to whisk you up the Kongdoori Mountain. At 13,780 feet, it’s the highest ski point in the Himalayas. Guided treks are available for walkers of all levels, from easy routes through the Khilmanmarg Valley to exhilarating journeys up snowcapped mountains to the serene Alpather Lake. Fair weather activities include hang-gliding, parasailing and jeep safaris. Or tee off on the highest golf course in the world, a 10-minute drive from the property.
How to Get There
We had planned a trip in 1st week of December to Kashmir. Our main reason of visit was to experience winter & explore around. One of our family member recommended us Roamland Holidays, a local tour company. We had good experience overall with them.
The trip overall was memorable & everyone served us so nicely. We want to convey a word of thanks via TripAdvisor to all especially Khyber Resort who are magical in hospitality. Highly recommended to visit Kashmir & Khyber Resort as well!
Once again, thank you Team Roamland.
My family of 5 stayed there for a night after a full day of activities in Gulmarg. It was a perfect end to our visit to Gulmarg. Hotel staff were polite,and provided excellent service! You are expected to tip them for their service.
What a perfect location. Breathtaking views no matter which window you look out of.
- Location: Stunning views and amazing proximity from the Gondola and ATVs. Perfectly located
- Heated pool: Definitely the highlight of Khyber. Perfect temperature indoors with the snow clad Himalayas and beautiful tall pines
- Spa: A must do, hard to explain the experience, just go for it
- In-Room dining: the food we ordered in-room (italian, Indian and snacks) were excellent.
- Room: bedroom and bathroom are an ideal size. The bed is huge and comfortable.
- Clean: very well maintained hotel. great housekeeping
- Service: courteous, helpful and flexible staff like it should be in a 5 star. We lost one of our jackets at the airport. It was tracked, the hotel taxi arranged for it to be collected and delivered to our room (at no charge). During the dinner buffet, we wanted a white sauce pasta for our 3 year old, that wasn't on the menu, but they made it and didn't charge extra. We asked for a tour of the hotel, and they spent a good hour showing us every nook and cranny.
- Buffet: While the breakfast and dinner buffets are good, they could be better. Eg. in breakfast, would be good to have more options of cold cuts, assortment of cheese, granola / cereals and non-veg.
- Food prices: Be ready to go light on your wallets
- Response time: We made a couple of requests where it look a bit longer that we expected for the staff to arrive - like a personal tour of the property (which was amazing, must do), and luggage collection at check out (its like they didn't want us to leave ;) ).
- Cupboard: is a little tiny. Make use of the drawers in the room
- Bathroom hanging: between the towels, robes and wet swimsuits, you'll have insufficient hooks for hanging
- Kids entertainment: while every kids channel is available, the play area could do with a few more options to keep kids engaged for longer.
- Internet: speed is a bit slow, mobile 4G (at least Airtel) is way faster. Will get better results using your hot-spot.
- Get a guide: Go to the Gondola with a guide especially if you have a child. He will help manoeuver and carry the kid at slippery places. Its a big help.
- Negotiate: Even if its 'fixed price' for activities like skiing, snow-biking etc. Your guide will help you pull down the price by 50%
- Sledge: not worth it, stick to skiing. snow biking and the 13KM ATV ride
- Boots and coat: rent a set for your trip up the gondola ride. If its snowing, make sure you have them for your ATV ride as well. Whenever you stop and jump into the snow, you'll need them.
Are we Kashmiri not Humans
I recently visit Khyber with one of my friend to visit Khyber resorts for coffee and I got shocked when I was stopped by security guards at main gate as the excuse was KASHMIRIES are not allowed
As I would like to confirm with the hotel authority where this rule lies that Kashmiri are not allowed.
Are we Kashmiri’s not paying there
Are we Kashmiri’s mentally harassed
For sure will send the same complain to Higher authorities and also copy to president of India
Will be waiting for your valuable feedback
I will always thanks for the hospitality . Specially Mr.kaiser (house keeping) for the excellent behavior . One should come Khyber once when making tour to KASHMIR . Kashmir really mini Switzerland . Khyber is one the best property one should always come once here..