The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa
What We Love
- Buffet breakfast is included in the Jetsetter rate
- Floor-to-ceiling windows in all rooms with awesome Himalayan views
- Elegant afternoon tea lounge with a terrace and fire pits
- There's a dedicated Activity Concierge
What To Know
- WiFi is an additional cost of $12 per day
- It's a dry resort (none of the hotels in Gulmarg are permitted to serve alcohol)
- The Khyber Spa by L'Occitane opened in December 2013
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Spread across seven fir tree–studded acres, 8,825 feet above sea level, the Khyber Resort & Spa is a five-star retreat with majestic views of the Himalayas’ Affarwat peaks. Styled like a classic mountain lodge and kitted out with local pine and slate, the interiors bring the outdoors in. The 80 guestrooms are equipped for all seasons, with crackling fireplaces for cozy winter nights and floor-to-ceiling windows to take in the summer views of the lush Pir Panjal Valley. Kashmiri woven silk carpets, carved walnut paneled ceilings and embroidered throws decorate the rooms, and most bathrooms come with huge windows overlooking the grounds. Tuck into Kashmiri cuisine at Cloves or wood-fired BBQ dishes at Nouf, or indulge in a traditional afternoon tea at Chaikash, an elegant patisserie with a terrace complete with firepits. Depending on the season, you can hit the powdery pistes via the world’s highest ski lift (the Gulmarg Gondola) or trek the stunning mountain trails and follow up with a session at the L’Occitane spa, which offers Himalayan views from every treatment room.
In the Area
There’s a dedicated Activity Concierge at the resort to direct you to the area’s best ski runs. The Gulmarg Gondola (the world’s highest ski lift) is on the doorstep to whisk you up the Kongdoori Mountain. At 13,780 feet, it’s the highest ski point in the Himalayas. Guided treks are available for walkers of all levels, from easy routes through the Khilmanmarg Valley to exhilarating journeys up snowcapped mountains to the serene Alpather Lake. Fair weather activities include hang-gliding, parasailing and jeep safaris. Or tee off on the highest golf course in the world, a 10-minute drive from the property.
How to Get There
Khyber one of the best properties of Kashmir. The view was breath taking and heated pool in this cold place was like bliss. Breakfast was excellent and the spread was vast. Highly recommended in winter's.
At first let me humbly apologise to those who thinks it’s a great property and worth spending 400-500 usd per night in this hotel.
To my opinion it’s a sheer wastage of money. When we step in to a expensive resort we expect service we expect facility we expect good food and good location.
I didn’t see any of these in this hotel apart from a very good location. Only good thing about this hotel is location but if you add on sloppy and slow service poor buffet spread and poor service the upside of a good location flows through your window.
At first let me tell you one by one my experience :
1. Check in. It took an hour to check in .... it’s not that our room was not ready ( we were not informed on that as a cause of delay in check in) we were in the lobby for more than an house before we came to know our room number .
2. Room TV connection was not there when we check in. We had to call few times the service man to fix TV connection.
3. WiFi is poor and slow and it also took more than an hour to fix the WiFi for me . Initially the way I was explained with pass word and ID , I could not log in to my WiFi devise with that password .
3. After paying that huge amount of money per night if you are advised that only two devises are free to use WiFi and more than two device is chargeable then you got a shock. In a family you have multiple device that needs WiFi and surely that more than two.
4. When I booked I mentioned in my booking on booking.com that we will stay with our 10 years old daughter but don’t need any extra bed. This hotel charged us
USD 60 for my daughter irrespective whether I take any extra bed or not . Trust me no where I faced such and I am sure by now my trip advisor friends noticed that I do Travel a lot and I have never faced this else where.
5. Next morning we went to buffet bfast and the spread was very poor and the only non veg item in that buffet is chicken nuggets and egg which to my expense is poor and when I mentioned this to one of the restaurant guy he seem very reluctant to listen to his and acted like this is it .... take or leave it :(
My opinion is if anyone wants to waste money can surely pick this hotel or else with one night price of this hotel you can have a fantastic stay in gulmarg one night with a good hotel .... food in top rated trip advisor restaurants .... gondola ride with ATR for a family of 4 :)
So it’s your pick whether you spend that money in this hotel for one night or spend that money t have fun in gulmarg for a day with all inclusive.
My rating is based on the return against the price we paid for our stay.
When I entered the resort I was full of expectations about it. As far as creation of physical infrastructure is concerned undoubtedly they have done a marvelous job. However service and attitude mars every thing. Since we were carrying two suitcases I asked for a stand in the room so that my wife who is suffering from back pain can manage. But the person keeping the luggage didn't turn up with any yes or no. I liked Rajma Rice of a dhaba on the way so I carried it. I requested them to heat it they refused. I went to swimming pool there I asked a person sitting on chair to take mine and my wife's photo he said they are not allowed. In the evening I was interested in having hukka and
paneer tikka along with some mock tails while my son was interested in having pizza. I asked them to serve pizza in the lounge as restaurants were about to close in an hour and all of us can sit in one place and have food of our choice but again to my horror and surprise they refused. Both the restaurants were only a few metres away. My son wanted to play with Xbox console but they were having only one unpopular CD. Overall entire staff is anti guest and specialises in saying no. After paying hefty prices this was not what we expected as we have stayed in some of the finest properties of the world including some Oberoi group properties where they go out of the way to pamper the guests.
It was just “heaven”... it actually justified to be a must visit in Gulmarg as it is called “heaven on earth” Surrounded by snow and view that gives you beautiful vibes!! Ambience and facilities all were great.. i was not very contented with food they serve coz of their taste! Rest all were good
Excellent hotel with all the modern fecilities. Irfan at front desk was very helpful all the time.Hotel is well located in lap of nature. Snow laden peaks are visible. Lush green mountains give feeling of heaven