Grand Hyatt Jakarta
What We Love
- The lagoon-shaped swimming pool and surrounding gardens, a Balinese-style oasis in the middle of the city
- Sustainably caught seafood flown in daily from Lombok at C’s Steak & Seafood, one of six dining venues
- Sweeping views of downtown Jakarta and the iconic Selamat Datang Monument
- Getting a head-to-toe Javanese massage at the spa
- Being steps away from two top-notch shopping centers
What To Know
- Child-friendly property with a kiddie pool and babysitting services
- On-site beauty salon
- 24-hour fitness center with personal training services available, plus tennis and table tennis courts
- Soekarno Hatta International Airport is 17 miles away
From the marble-clad tiered lobby to the Balinese-style pool gardens, everything at this city-center Grand Hyatt conveys amplitude and lushness. No less than six restaurant and bars are housed here, including a sleek cocktail lounge with city views, a Japanese restaurant with a dedicated tempura counter, and C’s Steakhouse and Seafood, which offers prime cuts from Australia, Japan, and the U.S. as well as locally sourced fresh fish. The fifth-floor recreational area features a pool designed to look like a natural lagoon, complete with large boulders and towering palm trees. Steps away from this leafy oasis is the full-service spa, whose steam rooms, dry saunas, hot whirlpools, and cold plunge pools work wonders for weary travelers. Most of hotel’s 427 rooms and suites, which range from 500 to 3,000 square feet, have a clean-lined look, with blonde wood paneling, taupe fabrics, and massive windows offering unobstructed views of downtown Jakarta.
In the Area
The vast, humming city of Jakarta used to be just a stopover for travelers to Bali, but Indonesia’s capital has plenty to offer, including cultural and ethnic diversity, great shopping, and an ever-growing roster of top-notch restaurants. A short walk away from the hotel, Social House, one of many restaurants inside the Grand Indonesia mall, is a chic lunch spot favored by the expat community. The menu features international hits like spicy tuna rolls, agnolotti al tartufo, and steak frites. Elsewhere in this multi-story arcade you’ll find recognizable brands like Muji, Topshop, Camper, and more. The upscale Plaza Indonesia nearby is also home to popular food venues like the recently opened AW Kitchen. But not all restaurants are inside colossal buildings. The coziers Avec Moi restaurant serves French-influenced cuisine—frog legs pan roasted in garlic butter were recently on the menu—in a whimsical space decked in rabbit-themed sculptures and paintings.
How to Get There
First time staying at the Grand Hyatt and I did not get the five-star feeling when staying at the hotel. The reasons are the following.
- When entering the hotel no one greets you. Instead, the luggage (and you) is checked by security. The security check is very thorough and not very welcoming.
- No one shows where to find the check-in desk.
- When checking in the receptionist is not smiling and no one follows you to your room to show where it is (it is a massive hotel), or how the amenities in the room works.
- The towels and the bedsheets are not changed daily. If you want them changed, you must call someone to get it done. In most hotels, you can leave a note on the bed or the towels in the tube if you want them changed.
- There is no turndown service.
- The breakfast was chaos. When entering the breakfast place a member of staff will take you to a table and leave you there. No questions if you have been here before or if you want something to drink. There are lots of other people working there, but they never smile or greet you. They do not ask if you want more to drink. They just run around, but still, somehow, they do not notice plates and mugs left on tables from other guests that have left. At the breakfast place, you can order different egg dishes, have Indian and Indonesian food. But those chefs look so busy and you never get eye contact with them to ask about the dishes or order anything.
- Before checking out I asked for a late checkout and if it was possible to check out at 3 pm as I had a very late flight. The receptionist said I could check out at 2 pm. When asking why 3 did not work, she just repeated that I can check out at 2 pm. When asking why not 3 worked, she just said repeated 2. As a robot. No explanation why (e.g. the hotel is full, you need to be a special member to get at a later time than 2, there is a fee if one wants to check out later etc). So I gave up.
All in all - it is a nice hotel. But it is not a five-star hotel.
Very nice Hyatt. Nice ambiance, Very comfortable room. Good breakfast ....professional staff. Easy to reach from Jakarta Airport and good location from Where to explore the city.
Nothing wrong with it
A great stay at Grand Hyatt Jakarta with a clean and well maintained room. Good food at the lounge specifically during breakfast and evening cocktail. Nice and cosy ambiance as well as easy access to the shopping mall.