Rivera del Rio Boutique Hotel
What We Love
- Daily breakfast and welcome margaritas are included in the Jetsetter rate
- Every spacious suite contains a living area and kitchenette
- Individually decorated residences are like something from Alice in Wonderland: One thing all the rooms have in common: pillowtop mattresses, deep leopard-claw soaking tubs and access to outdoor pools
- The eight-room boutique property has a glam past: Raquel Welch stayed here, and Vogue and Italian Elle have used the property as a photo shoot location
What To Know
- Free WiFi and calls to the U.S.
- Legendary “Silver” Maria Cortez designed the property; it's recently received a facelift from her grandson, Alexander
- The apartments are nestled back along the Rio Cuale, away from the chaos of Puerto Vallarta’s tourist zone
- Many of the suites have room for up to five people, perfect for groups or family reunions
- Each guestroom has its own unique layout; specific rooms are not guaranteed
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
Picture yourself in a photo shoot at this all-villa boutique resort in Puerto Vallarta’s Old Town. The four-room, four-suite property has hosted such Hollywood celebs as Raquel Welch and served as the backdrop for spreads in Vogue and Italian Elle. It’s easy to see why: The individually decorated residences are like something from Alice in Wonderland. In the Green Room you’ll find pastel cherubs painted on the walls, a giant brass chandelier and a deep green soaking tub in the black marble bathroom. The two-story Candelaria suite skews pink, with a black-and-rose checkerboard floor, pink-and-turquoise satin linens and an ornate trompe l’oeil headboard with (real) candelabras on either side of the bed. And in the Carlotta suite, a huge Venetian crystal chandelier hangs above a cherrywood dining table, and twinkling wall lights bounce off the room’s handmade mosaic flooring (don’t worry, the lights have a dimmer). One thing all the rooms have in common: pillowtop mattresses, deep leopard-claw soaking tubs and access to outdoor pools.
In the Area
Rivera del Rio’s prime location in Puerto Vallarta’s Old Town, just south of Rio Cuale, makes it easy to get around this bustling beach town. Wander down to Playa los Muertos, Vallarta’s most popular beach, for a day of sunbathing and beach bar hopping in this quaint, cobblestoned neighborhood; city ordinances mandate the district’s white buildings and red tile roofs, and they prohibit neon signs. Or venture north of the river to explore the renowned Malecon and the picturesque Gringo Gulch neighborhood; Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton reportedly began their affair there while filming The Night of the Iguana in 1963. To get away from the touristy zone, take a 45-minute water taxi ride to Yelapa, a no-car island village with only 1,500 residents, many of them hippies and artists. Water sports aplenty are on offer, but no one would blame you for spending the day on the beach, feasting on fresh coconut slices and chocolate pie sold by vendors on the beach.
How to Get There
This hotel was much more than a hotel, it was an experience. It was beautifully decorated like a mansion right from the streets of Hollywood. We were in love with the decor and design of each room. It is located in the heart of the romantic zone among Mexican residences, so you feel part of the community. We enjoyed the rooftop pool and the amazing views of the hot tub in the evening. The breakfast was delicious and authentic and the staff was incredibly helpful and kind. We will definitely stay here during our next visit to Vallarta!
This boutique hotel is amazing. The staff goes out of the way to make sure you feel welcomed. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. The patios have great views. It is walking distance to the Cuale markets with some great restaurants and shopping. Highly recommend this gem!
This place is so so so special. Exploring the hotel itself is it’s own vacation/mini adventure.
Art everywhere, secret nooks and crannies, color, romance and THE most beautiful view in the city from the hot tub. Perfect for couples who want to feel like they live in their own fabulous mansion.
The staff is warm and kind and so accommodating.
We had the most wonderful time.