What We Love
- The meticulously restored property, originally a gift from Richard Burton to Elizabeth Taylor
- The daily continental breakfast from the restaurant, which can be delivered to your suite
- The welcome drink you’ll receive and the rare spirits on offer at the tequila bar
- The chance to stay in a suite with Taylor’s own pink-marble heart-shaped tub
What To Know
- The boutique property is intimate with only nine suites
- Concierges can arrange rounds of golf, sailing and surfing excursions, and an array of watersports if you ask
- Bathrooms are decked out with Bulgari toiletries and most have private Jacuzzis and rainfall showers
- Rooms have WiFi and flatscreen TVs tucked into antique armoires
- Dine al fresco at on-site Iguana Restaurant for contemporary Mexican cuisine and a Mariachi serenade
- Free WiFi
If few couples epitomize true romance like Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, it follows that the Puerto Vallarta vacation home they shared, a gift from Burton to Taylor, would be one of the world’s most romantic escapes. And it is. “A legacy of passion lives on” at Casa Kimberly, the hotel boasts, thanks to a beautiful restoration of the lovebirds’ blue-tiled pool and the same spectacular views over Banderas Bay that they admired in their time. Balancing traditional Colonial style and modern luxury, Casa Kimberly’s guest suites exude romance. Domed brick ceilings, tiled walls, and hand-painted murals set an elegant tone in each of the 9 individually decorated abodes.If you’re going all out on space, stay in the 2,500-square-foot, pool-equipped Elizabeth Taylor suite, accessed via hand-painted tile steps or a private elevator, with the very same pink-marble tub, shaped like a human heart, that the iconic actress commissioned. Elegant touches include antiques from owner Janice Chatterton’s personal collection, marble pillars and a Swarovski crystal chandelier under a dome of painted cherubs. Escape the tropical sun in the shady poolside loungers, or take in the city and mountain panoramas from any of the Veranda-profiled common spaces. Start each day with a complimentary breakfast, and end it with music by one of Mexico’s most famous mariachi bands and a cocktail at the open-air Iguana Restaurant & Tequila Bar before digging into innovative Latin cuisine like baked portobello mushrooms with goat cheese, sweet-corn soup, grilled Cornish hen and cheese mousse with marinated strawberries.
In the Area
With a rich history dating back to the 1600s and plenty of resort beach-town culture, Puerto Vallarta has it all. Discover the beautiful shores, shopping, nightlife and quaint village charm that bring visitors back to this tropical paradise again and again. Old Town, the downtown area, is a picturesque oceanfront fiesta full of life, while nearby attractions like the Romantic Zone, Playa de Los Muertos, Chico’s Paradise restaurant and the waterfalls of El Eden are lovely spots to enjoy the region’s beauty and culture.