Terme di Saturnia Spa & Golf Resort
What We Love
- Jetsetter 2015 Best of the Best Winner: Best for Wellness
- Daily buffet breakfast is included in the Jetsetter rate
- The four warm water swimming pools and Jacuzzis are replenished with pure mineral-rich water from the local hot springs. On Friday and Saturday nights in August you can bathe by candlelight and live music until 1 a.m.
- The 53-room spa offers brightening gold facials, and anti-aging treatments using ingredients extracted from Antarctic ice
- The hotel’s 18-hole championship golf course is just 300 feet away
What To Know
- Despite its countless awards and Michelin-starred restaurant, the hotel has a refreshingly unpretentious, relaxed atmosphere
- Pet-friendly rooms available upon request
- Because the hot springs are rich in sulphur, the pool has an unusual odor, but this disappears as soon as you settle into the blissful, warm waters
- A city tax of approximately $3 per person, per night, will be collected by the hotel at checkout
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
In southern Tuscany’s Maremma region, Terme di Saturnia Spa & Golf Resort is a holistic hideaway surrounded by rolling hills and ancient hilltop towns. Despite its glitzy clientele, this hotel isn’t about obvious glamour, it’s about understated sophistication. Once you’ve made it past the parking lot lined with gleaming Ferraris, you’ll find interiors that use local stone and natural wood, a soothing thermal swimming pool fed by a sulphur-rich spring, a world-class spa and a Michelin-starred restaurant that serves classic Tuscan dishes. It’s a magnet for well-heeled weekenders looking to unwind and indulge.
Bed and Bath
The room categories range from entry level Comfort Rooms to elaborate Grand Suites, which have a kingsize bed, two bathrooms and a spacious lounge. All rooms have been designed with a “habitat philosophy” — natural palettes and subtle lighting — and overlook the rolling Tuscan hills or the steamy swimming pool. The enormous marble-clad bathrooms are stocked with the hotel’s house brand products, which are made from thermal plankton. All rooms come with a pool kit: fluffy robes, slippers and towels.
There are two superb restaurants: Aqualuce, for candlelit Mediterranean dining overlooking the steaming waters, and All’Acquacotta, a Michelin-starred restaurant that serves classic Tuscan dishes made with organic, locally grown ingredients. The daily selection of seared local fish and the decadent nougat crème brûlée are particular highlights, and the wine list is a corker, naturally. As well as fine dining, this hotel packs a punch when it comes to pampering. Its spa offers an array of medical and fitness programs, as well as an extensive treatment menu inspired by the healing local waters: think plankton-based creams and clay body wraps. The famous 24K gold facial is sure to leave you glowing.
In the Area
Borrow one of the hotel’s bicycles and ride to the medieval town of Saturnia. The steep 20-minute ride offers views of olive groves and rustic farmhouses at every turn — not to mention the stone castle that crowns the hill. The nearby town of Montemerano dates back to the Middle Ages; clamber up its winding streets to the stunning Piazza del Castello. Rome and Siena are each about two hours away.
How to Get There
Visited for 3 days as part of a corporate retreat. It’s about a 2 hour drive from FCO, a little further from Roma Centro so you don’t show up here by accident. Location is definitely remote but very close to Saturnia - which is a charming town - and about a 20 min drive to Pitigliano which is a little larger and more picturesque. Service at this property was absolutely 5 star.
My room was great - very large with plenty of closet space (see pics). Bathroom was a tad outdated but also large and everything was in fine working order. Most importantly, the mattress was thick but not too firm. This is something I watch out for when you get off the beaten path in Italy and was pleased here.
Everyone working at this property was 110% invested in delivering sterling service. I felt like the most important guest at the hotel throughout my visit.
Breakfast spread is remarkable. The breakfast itself was included in my room rate, which is always welcome.
Only problem is the sulphuric smell from the natural springs - it permeates the air everywhere and is pretty strong anywhere on the ground level of the property. Definitely not a deal breaker but something to prepare for mentally because it will hit you the moment you pull up at the front door.
There is no doubt that this property deserves a 5 star rating - it is a great place to stay if you want to explore southern Tuscany and the Maremma or just to relax by enjoying a spa-like setting.
General - very relaxing, good 5* level, wonderful unique natural thermal pool, comfortable room big enough with almost all needed. Expensive but worthy. Would come back again, especially after renovation which happens in 2019, at check out moment it turned out they are closing in 3 day for renovation. So hope all issues I had after renovation will disappear. Will see then
Put 4 points due lack of soundproof and Restaurant
1. Personnel - mostly very professional and helpful, too many junior staff who can’t really help, to be trained better
2. Room (elegant level, next to standard) was good. with separated wardrobe, bathroom with separated bath tub and shower . 2nd floor, view to hotel nice entrance , small temporary parking , where cars arrive. Could be it is ok to have view not to the pool do not have thermal water smell. BUT my room position 259 wasn’t really good, too noisy from corridor - on the way of trolley with towels from pool
3. Breakfast and bar food - is very good - you can find everything, even lactose free cheese, milk, gluten free sweets and bread and muesli - which is my common headache
4. Relaxing areas around pool is very convenient, you can find any space being introvert person
5. Good pool position - easy access from building to heated area, change room and entrance to pool from warm area. No need to be outside.
6. There is heated area with beds for relaxing and sleeping
7. Bar just near pool in and outside.
8. Good amenities in room bathroom
Hood changing room near the pool with locked boxes
9. Parking service, you just leave car and call to have it back ready. Minuses that if you forgot smth in the car you have to ask to bring car to take your stuff
10. Morning at 8am 1h nordic walking in surroundings
11. Life music each evening in the bar
12. Herbal tea and water everywhere free available
14. Great surroundings for runners, bicycle
15. Very restoring!
1. Turkish steam sauna and regular sauna are not really hot as should be - no sence even to enter there
2. Breakfast service - table are not cared during breakfast, you have to put your duty plates to other tables to have it taken. Overall tables are not cleaned when people finished breakfast. At 10:00 (breakfast ends at 10:30) it’s hard to find place, as half are empty but not cleaned, rest are busy, free only a few in not convenient place
3. Restaurant- service is great, BUT food is far away from good and tasty, tried almost whole menu main courses , meat fillet mignon is not soft, fish is not really tasty, no taste at all, tomato sauce is not good much for fish to me... only lamb was really good . Plus wine by glass very very poor choice and taste, and 3 options I have tried are extremely simple, very very strange tor Toscana region. It’s not what you expect for that price with that pretending. Restaurants outside in Saturnia are much much better!!! , it’s a pity that I didn’t tried them earlier . Next time will eat there
4. No soundproof from corridors - Room was on the 2nd floor on the way of towels trolling from pool, sounds like a tornado is happening, and its each 5 mins, if you want to have daily sleep - no way! It starts 8:30. Last 2 days tgey started at 5am!! Could be there are other rooms that are not on this tornado way ! I would advise to put some carpet to eliminate this awful sound
5. Pillows choice isn’t enough- both options were too small, put them all together is to high, had to build from towel added high to one pillow:)
6. Bed itself not that soft - good for those people who like hard beds
7. No teapot in the room, if you want to have it in the room you have to call room service - that is strange for 5*
8. No way to get there without car. Taxi isn’t an option- to far from Rome, and without car no possible to get to the nearest cities for dinner . BUT it makes the place more unique and quite - met even deers on the way
I visited Terme di Saturnia recently whilst on holidays in Toscan with some friends. Since we did not have enough time, we stayed only one day, enjoying the facilities.
The least I can say is that it is worth visiting.
The place is wonderful, the facilities, very clean, and comfortable, and the staff very friendly, and professional.
It is very close to the Saturnia cascades, so you can easily go from that place to the Terme.
If your budget, and time allow, try the massage options, you won’t regret it.
We stayed for one night. Very relaxing hotel but very high in price . Service of the staff was outstanding. We booked a Deluxe room which was very nice but nothing more to add about it.... you may expect something more for approximately Euro 500.00 per night !!! Pool with the thermal water was very pleasant after getting used to the sulfur odor ( H2SO4).
We dined outside so nothing about the restaurants. Checkout time is 11:00 AM ( too early) but guests can continue enjoying the pool for the rest of the day.
Hotel surrounds the source of volcanic water and the structure is immersed in the silent Maremma
Breakfast : good
High-level SPA services (massages and facials)
Restaurant : good
Pool services and bar: good
The strong point remains in any case the thaumaturgical power of the waters that instills an immediate sense of well-being and body mind harmony
I'll be back as soon as possible