Mayaloka Villas Seminyak
What We Love
- Daily à la carte breakfast (served in your villa) is included in the Jetsetter rate
- Secluded hideaway, perfect for couples
- Quiet tropical setting, but close to Seminyak town
- Modern amenities for those who wish to stay plugged in
What To Know
- A 10 percent service charge per night will be collected at the Jetsetter checkout
- Free car service to shopping areas and the beach; otherwise, the beach is a 10-minute walk
- Taxis are affordable and plentiful
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
On Bali’s southern coast, the Maya Loka is a totally private enclave with just 13 thatch-roofed villas. The secluded complex fuses modern details, including private swimming pools, with design that blends in with the surrounding tropical landscape, thanks to open floor plans, a restaurant that overlooks green rice paddies, and paths made of river stones. Close to lively Seminyak but just far enough to feel apart, the property attracts a diverse crowd that includes surfers, an international set drawn here by volcanoes and white sand beaches, and expats from around the globe who never quite got around to going home.
Bed and Bath
Each of the villas feels like a getaway unto itself, with enormous carved wood doors (secured with antique iron padlocks) that open onto soaring thatch-roofed living spaces and one or two bedrooms. The secluded plunge pools come with large terraces and chunky daybeds. The indoor-outdoor bathrooms have rain showers and huge rose petal–filled tubs. All villas offer standard conveniences such as WiFi, satellite television (plus a daily newspaper) and air conditioning.
In the evening the restaurant turns out Indonesian specialties such as gado-gado (vegetable salad with peanut sauce) and nasi goreng (prawns and egg flavored with tamarind). For those who prefer not to venture far, there are in-room spa treatments (think coconut and chocolate scrubs, aromatherapy and acupressure massages). And Seminyak has lots of European-style shopping and restaurant options. Or the staff can arrange a car to the town of Ubud, around an hour’s drive north, which is a popular wellness and yoga destination. But there’s no real need to leave the property; the focus here is on relaxation, and it doesn’t take long to totally — and blissfully — disconnect.
In the Area
Don’t miss the sacred monkeys and the Balinese tribal fire dance rites at the nearby cliffside Uluwatu temple. No trip to Bali is complete without an afternoon in the village of Ubud, about an hour away. You’ll find boutiques and painters’ studios, as well as locally made handicrafts and unique gifts at the Pasar Seni market. The resort offers wonderful dining options, but if you’re headed off-site, try one of these: Sarong is elegant and serves salmon betel leaf with shrimp and coriander; Sardine dishes up fresh seafood and organic vegetables from an on-site farm; and antiques shop–cum–bookstore Biku serves a peaceful high tea. The beachfront Ku De Ta in Seminyak is a happening spot to sip a lychee cocktail as the sun sets.
How to Get There
My husband and I recently stayed at Mayaloka Villas for 7 nights this past week. We had just had a full on week of adventure on one of the islands- so a relaxing week in these amazing villas was exactly what we needed.
We were absolutely blown away by the phenomenal friendliness and attentiveness of all the staff we encountered. There was no question to little or any hassle at all with any of our requests.
Our villa was simply stunning- from the amazing big pool that was serviced and cleaned of any frangipani debris at least daily, to the nightly turn down service, cleaning of our villa every day whenever we exited the villas, daily change of towels, to the nightly lighting of mosquito coils; we were made feel so comfortable and welcome. Wifi access was quick and efficient and we had access to Netflix! 7 nights flew past us!!!
This was honestly the most romantic villa to stay in! We had couples massages at the villa, to a romantic 3 course dinner made by the kitchen. Villa itself is within walking distance to a great many restaurants and beach clubs. There is a second hourly shuttle service provided to anywhere between the villa and Seminyak square (one way only), but this was great to head closer into central Seminyak, as the villas are quite a way away from the main shopping and eating areas. This wasn’t a bother for us though, as we did not want to venture out much anyway; the service and access at the villa to food and activities was more than enough for us. If not, you could hire a scooter easily from the staff; or pay someone to ride you or take you via taxi into the hub of activity.
Thanks for an amazing honeymoon. We would definitely come back and stay at Mayakoka Villas. Great for honeymooners, families and groups.
Ashlee & Brenton.
Stayed at Mayaloka Villas for 3 nights for a relaxing long weekend getaway.
We have stayed at a couple of other villas in Seminyak when we visited before, this one probably is our second favorite villa. Scoring 4.5 as some improvements can be done to make it a perfect 5!
What we loved:
- Great sized swimming pool for a couple in the one bedroom villa, also enough combination of shade + sun
- Friendly and lovely staff, very smiley and accommodating
- There’s an option of floating breakfast at 100k IDR
- Shuttle service to Seminyak square, 4 times a day starting at 12pm, every 2 hours (drop off only)
- Good location for north of Seminyak; restaurants, W hotel, potato head etc in walking distance
- Comfortable bed, pillows
- Spacious, room, lounge, pool, bathroom
What could be improved:
- Cleanliness: The turn down service isn’t as detailed as other hotels/villas we’ve stayed before. Quite a few towels had stains as well
- Cleanliness/maintenance of the pool: some reviews mentioned this already, and this probably is the biggest let down. Other villas we stayed before the staff helped “cleaning” the pool everyday for any leaves etc that had fallen. Didn’t feel like the pool was cleaned once during our 4 day stay here. Quite disappointing as a lot of leaves, pollen, seeds in the pool and actually some dead mosquitos and even bird poo floating around.
- Outdoor bathroom: first time experiencing a completely outdoor bathroom (other villas were semi outdoor), so with that there was a lot of ants, mosquitos and geckos in the bathroom. Not a bother for some but a little uncomfortable for me personally.
- Noisy Aircon in the room, made it difficult to fall asleep, vibrated a lot
We stayed for 6 nights in a one bedroom villa here. It was very quiet, clean and the service was fantastic. Having your own pool and space to hang out with pure privacy was fantastic.
It is a little distance from the main drag, but honestly, it didn’t have any impact to us. We could still walk everywhere - to shops, beach and clubs, amazing restaurants etc. in fact Tropicola Beach club and the W are virtually around the corner.
My rating is 4.5 stars - dropping half a star for two reasons. 1. Our pool turned a deep shade of green on the last day, not leaving it very inviting; 2. The villa management would not entertain our request for a late checkout (paid of course) despite telling us they were not fully booked. Given our flight was at 11pm this meant we had to move hotels for the final day of our holiday.