Vivanta by Taj – Kumarakom, Kerala
What We Love
- Housed in a historic bungalow built in the late 19th century
- Stunning views from the banks of Vembanad Lake
- Premium villas feature private plunge pools
- Free bike rental
What To Know
- Free WiFi for up to two devices
- The fitness center is open 24 hours a day
- Babysitting services available on request
- The hotel is around an hour's drive from Cochin city
- Free WiFi
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Overlooking Kerala’s Vembanad Lake, the Vivanta by Taj Kumarakom is housed in a colonial bungalow built by English missionary Henry Baker in the late 19th century. Admire the Old World charm in a Heritage Room (wooden floors, beam ceilings), see the lake from your private balcony in a Deluxe Allure Villa, or take a dip in your own plunge pool in a Premium Temptation Villa. When you’re not relaxing in the property’s peaceful gardens or walking along the waterfront, settle in for Keralan cuisine and seafood specialties at Open, an all-day alfresco restaurant. Or you can laze by the pool or book a massage at the hotel’s spa. Parents can take advantage of on-site babysitting and book a romantic evening at Baker’s Gourmet House, where they can feast on grilled freshwater scampi and karimeen pollichathu (pearl spot fish marinated and baked in a banana leaf) while watching the lagoon lit up by a thousand oil lamps — the people from the nearby village fire them up nightly.
In the Area
The hotel provides several ways to explore vast Vembanad Lake. Take in the waters on a relaxed cruise to Ayemenem, a charming backwater village. On an organized tour you’ll have panoramic views of the town, visit a local temple and enjoy a traditional sadya meal — a multidish feast typically reserved for special occasions. Rather stick to dry land? Explore the area on a nature walk into a Keralan village. You’ll see banana plantations, rice paddies and meadows full of flowers, before getting into a canoe to fish for dinner (the fresh catch can be prepared right away).
How to Get There
The Taj is situated on the backwaters within easy reach of all the boats. Food was very good. The resort itself is very beautiful. Staff are very good and as always helpful. Full leisure activities are provided for all ages.
- Best Resort for the serene location, you can spend hours in your cottage just enjoying the lake view (man made lake) from the wee hours for the birds chirping,king fishers catching their fish on the flight and much more till the late evening for a stunning night view with Diyaa lights around the lake and properties reflection on the lake..absolute stunner..!!!
- You will be pampered by their hospitality special mention is Noyal ( Resort Manager ) answers all your queries and Kamal ( restaurant staff ) was able to manage my kids in the breakfast by just sitting in the table..he brought us everything we needed..and Nabeen ( the zip line helper)..made
- Evening Tea with snacks was a surprise and the absolutely worth it..the view was just breathtaking
- Kerala Themed rooms makes you feel cozy and warm
- The Room doors especially the locks have to be fixed , we had to struggle everytime we tried opening the door
- Toilet bowels have some stains which needs some immediate attention
We will definitely visit the property again..No Regrets
Taj Kumarakom resort n spa is a grt holiday destination. I was accompanied by my wife n baby and the best part about the place is the tremendous amount of personal touch and interest that the staff at the property put in to make yr stay comfortable and memorable. A special mention about the hotel staff Miss Devi who went an extra mile to take care of our baby's meal preferences and grt concern for minute details. Complimentary activities such as boat rides in the lake, paddle boating, clay pottery, cycling and bird watching are a big big draw. Even the evening Chai Kadaa serving local snacks with choice of hot beverages is superb. An exceptional Taj holiday at taj Kumarakom. Highly recommended.
By all accounts this should be at least score a Excellent but little things let this hotel down.
As previous reviewers have commented there seems to be something missing. The staff appear to try hard but don’t quite hit the mark as we found in Trident Hotels. The washing basket in the outside restaurant at by breakfast for dirty crockery is close to one of the tables, avoid that table. A cigarette end by the sun bed I used was there everyday. Large bottles of water by the pool, nice touch but they get warm so why not have smaller ones and keep them in the fridge, and then they can be replaced when empty less waste and cool water.
Dinner was good and although there appear to be two restaurants the same menu is served at both, one outside and one air conditioned inside. Since the menu is extensive there is absolutely no problem having the same menu. The setting is beautiful stretching down to the lake with pools and canals surrounding the bungalows. A great deal of trouble goes into reducing those annoying little biting creatures, always going to be a challenge with that much water.
Other little touches candle lighting and traditional dance in the evening go a long way to make the experience more traditional and one to remember.
Stayed one night in the heritage room at the Baker House and another at the cottage. The heritage rooms take you to the old colonial era with high roofs, large rooms. The cottages are just fine. Being a Taj property, you expect more. The rooms are tired, the service is not Taj (personalised) and you feel that something is missing. For the price you pay and from Taj you expect more.