Taj Bekal Resort & Spa, Kerala
What We Love
- Rooms inspired by traditional kettuvallam houseboats
- Stunning spa for modern and traditional ayurvedic services (a Kerala specialty)
- The Kappil River runs through the resort for fishing and boating
- Direct access to a hidden beach
What To Know
- A 12.5 percent luxury tax and a 7.42 percent service tax per night will be collected at the Jetsetter checkout
- The resort is 50 miles from the Mangalore airport, and the drive (through villages and countryside) can sometimes take a few hours?
- The By the Bay restaurant is open only when the weather permits (it’s closed during monsoon season)
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
India-meets-Indonesia at this 26-acre resort, off the tourist trail in northwestern Kerala. The open-air walkways and pavilions, flower-filled courtyards, and alfresco dining areas celebrate the area’s natural beauty, and the low-slung buildings are inspired by local houseboats (many have thatch or curved roofs). The interiors range from traditional (dark woods, jewel tones) to contemporary (monochrome, colored lighting), but most of the action takes place outside: The Kappil River runs through the lush grounds, and there’s direct access to a private beach.
Bed and Bath
The 66 guestrooms vary in size and layout, but they all feature outdoor spaces with a daybed or a swing (some also come with interior courtyards, private plunge pools, fountains, and/or outdoor showers). The exteriors are inspired by traditional kettuvallam houseboats, while inside you’ll find bright, contemporary resort decor accented by fabrics and artwork from Bali as well as India. Amenities in all rooms include interactive flat-screen TVs with surround sound, natural Forest Essential bath products and walk-in showers.
Overlooking the Kappil River, the all-day Latitude restaurant serves regional dishes like fish steamed in banana leaves and multicourse thalis. The BBQ by the Pool is the place for freshly grilled fish and meat, while By the Bay offers local cuisine and sea views. Pair snacks and cocktails (infused with cloves, cardamom and coconut water) at the chic Ivory Bar. For active types there’s a large outdoor pool, a well-equipped fitness center and kayaking along the river. The excellent Jiva Spa, which is large for a resort of this size, offers ayurvedic massages, facials, and wraps using potent natural ingredients.
In the Area
Head to noted local sights such as the 17th-century Bekal Fort, a large complex complete with moats, tunnels and an observatory tower. Or spend a whole day at Thonikadavu, a private nature reserve where you can hike through forest and jungle to waterfalls, learn about the indigenous plant and flower life, and cool off with fresh coconut water. Other activities, such as cruising the backwaters around Valiyaparamba Island on a traditional houseboat, or visiting the local Kappil fishing village’s boisterous morning market, can be arranged through the resort.
How to Get There
Taj Bekal is an awesome property situated amidst backwaters and Kappil Beach. It’s very well maintained and the staff is very courteous and responsive.. The food served is of delectable taste. Kids can be engaged in meaningful activities in their activity centres and this resort boosts of having Asia’s best spa, Jiva Spa...
A must visit for a Serene Getaway and for making a memorable trip with Family and Friends.
We visited with our friends on the Republic Day weekend ( 4 adults and 1 infant ). Right from the moment we arrived to garlands and a welcome drink, Taj Bekal was special. We were given one of our rooms early and we set out to explore the property after a short rest. From the beach , to the pool area, to the spa ( which we would love to make use of on our next visit, everything was wonderful. And when it came to the food, we were spoilt. After our meals at Latitude and BBQ by the pool, we thought we had eaten it all. And then, these paled in comparison to By the Bay . Every morsel was savoured and we came back in the evening for more. was We were a group of 5 , with an infant and this stay was
I stayed on the property with my wife and son along with another couple. We just had a great time. The reception area is beautiful and the beaches and pool are top class. We stayed in a room with private sit out and the open air tub with the swing bed is just too good to be true.
The by the bay restaurant is international in terms of location and food with authentic regional food being the best. Service point of view they are just too good although the house keeping skills can become a bit better.
The points of blemishes were :
1) very weak AC . Which we were complaining from the moment we checked in. The hotel called us on the last evening that they are ready to change the room but it was too little too late. The basic problem is that they mention that the temp will not go below 22 c which in my opinion need not be their job . The rooms are high ceiling so u need to have powerful ACs
2) the breakfast and back water cafe need some improvement. It's not Taj quality in these aspects. The food in A la carta and by the bay is just too good .
But overall I paid 36000 RS inclusive of taxes and the room was of ITC grand south Goa quality were the charges are in excess of 60 k for three nights.
Great value and memorable holidays